Hanson Paddling Clinic (every thurs evening)

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

getnoutside

Hanson Paddling Clinic (every thurs evening)

Post by getnoutside »

Those of us who have checked this out agree that it is a must for anyone looking to learn or improve their paddling skills. Here's the info:

Hello Everyone: We are planning on starting up the weekly informal kayak skill sessions at Camp Kiwanee in Hanson in a couple weeks. Last year we did these on Thursdays from 6PM until dusk. By default, I propose to keep the same day and time unless I hear from a bunch of you that another day works better.

I'd suggest that we start up weekly sessions beginning May 19th (weather permitting). Sunset isn't until 8PM at that point, so we will have plenty of daylight if we start at 6. Water will still be cold for rolling/rescue practice so plan to wear a wetsuit.

The sessions are very informal, covering a wide range of skills, from first wet exit to hand rolls. People come whenever they want, work on whatever they want, either in groups or alone. There are a number of very skilled paddlers always willing to help out other folks with new skills or just spotting each other.

Directions to Camp Kiwanee:

Camp Kiwanee is on a one lane road off Route 58 in Hanson:

From Route 14 east or west, turn SOUTH on Route 58 in Hanson. You will immediately pass the police station on the right and the Indian Head School on the left. Continue approx. ¾ mile until you see the Camp Kiwanee sign on the left.

From Route 27 east or west, turn NORTH on Route 58 in Hanson. There is a Hess Gas station on the northeast corner of this intersection, and some small shopping plazas on the southeast and southwest corners. Continue approx. ¾ mile until you see the Camp Kiwanee sign on the right.

Follow the road in from the street until you see the beach and pond on your left. There is a large dirt parking lot with boat launch to the right of the sand beach.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Just a heads up for anyone going to the Hanson paddling clinic... don't make the same mistake I did last week. Coming from the north, there is another camp about 100yds before Camp Kiwanee. Obviously, this isn't the one you want.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Is that Camp Lostalot? :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Chip wrote:Is that Camp Lostalot? :lol:

Actually, I believe Lostalot is a state (the state I've been in, lately)