Titicut Camping Trip in Bridgewater

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Riverwench

Post by Riverwench »

(Pasted from the old forum) :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone interested in doing an overnight camping trip on the Taunton River? I am still working out the details. I am looking at July 16 & 17. We would launch form Oliver Mills Park on Route 44 in Middleborough. Should be a 3.5 hour paddle (8.6 miles) to the camp site. We can park cars with gear at the site. It is a rustic site with no facilities and we would be the only ones on the site. The cost is $20 for the permit. The trip can end there or if people want to paddle the next day we can continue down river. (This is the part i need to still investigate) I have looked at takeouts after the Titicut camp site and am not certain I would want to leave a car at any of them. Anyone have any ideas on this? Another alternative to lengthen the trip would be to put at Oliver Mills, paddle upstream for a while then turn around and paddle down to the camp site. Scenery and water quality on this part of the River is great. Let me know if you are interested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riverwench
(Pungo)

birdseye
I might have plans at least one day that weekend but I will keep it in mind.

Nelson
P&H Capella 166

chip
YaBB Administrator

I am not sure of my availability, but I would at least like to do the paddle even if I can't camp.

Current Designs Storm
Old Town Loon 138
Old Town Loon 111

sdroberts
YaBB Senior Member

I'm doing an Adventure Race that weekend. However, I've never paddled the Tauton River and would love to get on it one of these days.

Steven Roberts
www.get-outside.com

CD Gulfstream
Ole' Aluminum Grumman
CLC Skerry

BobV
YaBB Newbie

Bobby and I are interested. We paddled the Taunton from Titicut St. up past the Nemasket River a few weeks ago, then paddled the Taunton downstream from Titicut Street to East Taunton last Saturday, 5/28. The river was high and fast because of the rain, and we made East Taunton in 2 hours. One could also paddle further to the Weir in Taunton. We haven't paddled that stretch.

We are backpackers, so used to camping, but haven't camped out of the kayaks. (Might be nice not having to actually carry the gear all day)

Exactly where is the campsite?

Necky Elaho HV
[& Bobby w/Perception Shadow 16.5]

Riverwench

The camp is on Beech Street in Bridgewater. Take Route 24 South to Rt 104 East towards Bridgewater. Turn right onto Old Pleasant Street. Old Pleasant Street turns into Pine. Follow Pine to the end. Turn right on Spruce Street. Turn right onto Pine Street. Turn left onto Beech Street. The Camp is on the right. Look for the sign posted by the Conservation by a locked Fire gate. Limited parking outside on the road. Walk down the road to the camp site. The river is located on the left of the road.
IP Logged

Riverwench
(Pungo)

I am posting the regulations for the campsite. It is a rustic setting but does have car access for those of you not wanting to carry your gear on the paddle.

Titicut Camp RULES AND REGULATIONS

This site is open from dawn to dusk except by special permit.
The area is to be used for non-intrusive recreation only: hiking, canoeing, fishing, tenting, bird watching, photography, etc.
Quiet hours for camping are from 10:00 PM until 7:00 AM. Excessive noise that unreasonably disturbs other users of the site or neighbors is prohibited at all times.
No dirt bikes or all-terrain vehicles permitted on Conservation land. No automobiles are permitted off designated roads.
Only hand-carried tents and watercraft are permitted: No boat trailers or camping trailers allowed. Area is to be left undisturbed in its natural state. Practice "leave-no-trace" principles.
This site is closed from sunset to sunrise. Camping is allowed only with a permit and in designated campsites. Toilets are not provided. Deposit solid human waste in "catholes" dug 4 to 6 inches deep at least 100 feet
from water, campsite, and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole with dead leaves and forest floor "duff' when finished. Pack out hygiene products.
To wash yourself or dishes, carry water at least 100 feet away from the river or pond and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater and carry out food wastes.
Drinking water is not available.
No person shall remove vegetation, soil or stones from the area or dig or disturb any artifacts or archaeological remains. There shall be no unauthorized use of chain saws.
Nails, axes, etc. are not to be driven into trees.
All fires must be in designated areas only and be 'completely extinguished before you leave the site. All trash must be removed by the user at the time of departure - pack-it-in, pack-it-out.
The dumping or leaving of litter or garbage is prohibited.
No discharge of firearms, drunkenness, or chemical abuse is permitted.
Pets are permitted, but must be kept on a leash at all times. All pet waste must be removed and disposed of
properly.
Use of premises is free of charge; the user however, is liable for any damage to Town property
(A $20 donation is requested for large group use)
Violations shall be subject to a fine of no less than $100.

Riverwench
(Pungo)

BobV - glad you are interested. I will send in the permit request and post a notice if the date is confirmed by the town. I have mostly canoe camped but am working on scaling down my gear to fit in my kayak.

Where did you put in and take out on your paddle? Did you use the South Street East takeout? I haven't done the section of river from that point to Weir Park but I did put in at Weir a few weeks ago and paddle upstream for a few hours. That section was not as nice as the upper reaches I have done.
IP Logged

Riverwench
(Pungo)

BobV
YaBB Newbie

Yes, we took out (East Taunton) at South St East.

We use Titicut St., Middleboro as a put in because we know it, and it has parking (just up the street) for a car with a kayak trailer. Some wouldn't like that put in, as you have to carry down a hill for both upstream and downstream, but we don't mind. (It would be more difficult for one person alone.) It's also quite muddy on the upstream side.

Seeing where the campsite is (I thought it was up on the Nemasket) I wouldn't expect any time problems going down to the Weir to take out for those interested. I've never paddled downstream from the Weir, but there are power boat docks along the shore just below the Weir, so it probably wouldn't be very nice.
IP Logged

Necky Elaho HV

Riverwench
----------------------------------------------------
How do feel about leaving a car overnight at Weir park? Do you think it is secure?
IP Logged

Riverwench
(Pungo)

BobV
YaBB Newbie

Leaving your car anywhere can be a problem, but parked in a legal spot in Taunton is safe enough for my car Maybe safer than a spot like Titicut St, or the little lot at South St. East.

I might be able to arrange off street parking at the Taunton Wastewater plant (Fenced, 24 hour staff onsite, about a mile from the Weir) if most would rather park there.
IP Logged

Necky Elaho HV

Riverwench
YaBB Senior Member

I'll keep that in mind. Let's see how people feel about parking at the Weir. Have you tried paddling the upper part of the Nemasket? There is a nice section from Vaughn Street to Wareham Street.
IP Logged

Riverwench
(Pungo)
Image WS Tsunami 145
Riverwench

Permit approved

Post by Riverwench »

Hi Everyone

The permit has been approved for the Titicut camp site on July 16 & 17. How long of a trip did people feel like doing?
Image WS Tsunami 145
Riverwench

Anyone coming on the trip this weekend?

Post by Riverwench »

The plan is to meet at Oliver Mills Park at 1:00 pm Saturday. We will leave boats at the park and shuttle cars to the take out at Titicut camp site. I will have picked up the key to the locked fire gate at Titicut in the morning. I hope to launch from Oliver Mills before 2:00 pm. It is a 3.5 hour paddle to the camp site. The next morning I plan to paddle upstream for a few hours and then float back down to the car at Titicut.

We will need to bring firewood and water to the site. There are no facilities, this is a very rustic setting.

Wendy
Image WS Tsunami 145
Riverwench

Trip Cancelled

Post by Riverwench »

I am cancelling the trip for this weekend. I scouted the route today and encountered a few difficult passages through fallen trees across the river. most of the river was fine but a few places need to be cleared more (or have higher water) to avoid getting out of your boat and pulling it over logs that are in the way. Would not want to bring a group through it and since no one seemed interested anyway.....

Me... I may rent a cabin for the weekend and paddle around the pond!

On the plus side today, I did see a lot of wildlife along the Nemasket: 2 great blue herring, a redtail hawk, a fish duck(very funny watching it swim underwater, assorted songbirds, a muskrat, lots of turtles sunning themselves and swarms of colorful dragonflies lining the riverbank.
Image WS Tsunami 145