Sunrise Paddle 6/26

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

getnoutside

Sunrise Paddle 6/26

Post by getnoutside »

Since the tides are not cooperating with my schedule this weekend, I have come up with a solution. I am planning to paddle (if I can convince some poor fool that getting up at 4:30 in the morning would be a good thing) or sail (if I'm the only fool) at 5:00am on Duxbury Bay. Sunrise is just after 5:00, so I am planning to be at Powder Point by 4:45am and on the water by 5:00. I am not planning to go far. I just want to mess around the bay and enjoy the sunrise. I plan to be back no later than 7:00.

Anyone?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Steve,

I'm interested. I will check in with my activity director, but I don't think she has anything scheduled for me at that time.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Chip

Post by Chip »

Holy Crap! I should hope not. :D If so, time for a new activity director. :D :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Todd

Post by Todd »

Chip,

You never know, she might get chilly.

Steve,

I told her to reach for a blanket, I'm in.
Carolina Perception 14.5
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Cool... a poor fool!!!
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

You guys are nuts! That's in the middle of the night in my book.

Steve, did you know all the "Mellonheads" are launching from Powder Point at 11:00 am on Saturday. I am heading over there to "say hi", but that's about it.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Hey Bea,

No... I didn't know that. Funny though, Roger drove by me this morning towing one of his mellonseeds. He was heading in that direction.

He and his girlfriend (I think???) were at the hanson clinic last night. I think her name is Peg. You want to see someone who can role? Man, she was doing things with a Inuit throwing stick (think of a severely undersized cricket bat) that I only hope to be able to do with my paddle, some day.

BTW, Todd's "nuts", I just suffer from insomnia
Todd

Post by Todd »

Are the Mellonheads Roger Crawford and Peg?

They were on the South River trip I took with NSRWA a few weeks back. Peg did 3 rolls, so smooth and even tempoed. Roger told me of the Thursday nights ands mentioned that he would be there often. I picked up a kayaking mag (Atlantic Coastal Kayaking?) at REI a week or so ago, Roger, Peg, and Doug Lowry were mentioned many times.

Steve, how many people last night? Practice your rolls?
Carolina Perception 14.5
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Todd,

All total, there were 9 of us. Yes, I practiced my roll. Also, played around with some of the Greenland-Style paddles that were there. I need to make me one of those (actually, I tried once... it belonged in a frat house).
Chip

Post by Chip »

"Thank you sir, may I have another."
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Todd.

The "Mellonheads" are the owners of Mellonseed boats ( built by Roger Crawford). The Mellonseeds are small sailboats about 13 feet long. Correct me if I'm wrong, Steve. I am new to this.

Bea
Bea
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

http://www.melonseed.com/

Nice little craft
Todd

Post by Todd »

I looked up the Melonseeds, they do look real nice. Roger's shop is down on Humerock, Marshfield side on Ferry street. Steve, is that near where you and Bea went for ice cream? I think I'll stop down to see Roger sometime soon and chat. He was very helpful on that South River run, had alot of pointers, and let me try his yak. I'm starting to shop for something bigger, and sleeker, and he was the instigator of this itch.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

So how'd the paddle go?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Nelson,

The paddle was very nice. We crossed over to Saquish and back. The wind was out of the SW and there were some 1 - 2 waves, once beyond the point, due to the significant fetch.

I'll write up a report this week (it'll be small), but here are my pics

http://community.webshots.com/album/379095441eqnRKr

[/url]
Last edited by getnoutside on Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Thanks Steve,

Nice pics. I seriously thought about going but just got back from the Vineyard last night and figured I'd be pushing it. I'm hoping to make it out to the spit if Bea and Todd are still going. I may even just go myself.

Remind me to tell you about my kayaking experience on MV...... "Now I know what their talking about!!"
Todd

Post by Todd »

Steve,

The pictures came out nice, you have an eye. I enjoyed the paddle and the conversation. Next time we'll go the the beach at Saquish (I wouldn't mind if you don't tell people that I showed up for the trip 24 hours early-OK?-it will be just between us.)
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

(I wouldn't mind if you don't tell people that I showed up for the trip 24 hours early-OK?-it will be just between us.)

Since it's sort of no longer between just you guys, do you want to explain this??
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I've posted Steve's text for the <a href="/trips-17.html">trip report</a>, but I've got some "real" work that I've got to get done, so I'll try to get hist photos inserted later today. Right now, Sue is out buying the makings for my next kayak cart, so the least I can do is be productive and earn some money to pay for it...
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Todd

Post by Todd »

Okay, since Steve didn't keep my secret, here's my trip report.

Again woke up before the alarm was set at 3:45am, (just about the time the lady from the far North was coming home from her night out), made coffee for myself, and then refilled the maker for Linda, fed the cat, and washed my face so I could meet Steve at 4:45. I already had the yak loaded from the night before, I didn't want to roll open the garage and wake the entire neighborhood.

Got down to Powderpont at 4:30, could already tell that the sunrise was going to be nice because the clouds were hanging over the concession stand at Duxbury Beach and would reflect the sun nicely. An old salt yelled from the Bridge, "Going yakkin today?" I said "yea, yakking" and he said that the winds were going to pick up, "suppose to get to 25 mph."
I ignored him and waited for Steve. And waited. Waited some more.

I had moved my yak down to the water earlier, and now thought that Steve had something come up and I should have checked the forum before going to bed on Friday. The ocean side of the bay was choppy, and I wasn't going to test that by myself, (I am getting older and a bit wiser every day), so I headed out under the bridge for a short paddle of my own. I more or less followed the coarse some earlier Turkeys had traveled, got some nice pictures of the sunrise, and went past the Duxbury Shell Fishing nets (can someone explain those to me-I understand the concept but where are the clams) and kept heading toward the first river on the left.

The wind was blowing directly at my bow, and whenever I was stopped for photos, was blown eastward. I headed down to almost where you couldn't go any further, and looked at the beautiful homes dotting the shore. I more or less drifted back, using my rudder or a stern pry and a bow rudder to get back with out paddling much. I got some exercise, had a good paddle and was tired all day.

I got home, logged in the wtpaddlers.org and then realized why Steve wasn't there. I was early, if I had waited another 22 hours, Steve would have shown.

Just goes to show you. You can be eager and have good intentions, but if you don't follow the plan set up, you paddle alone. Not a bad paddle, but Steve is a lot more interesting to talk to then some Comerant.

Pictures of Saturday's sunset to follow.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Nice report Steve. Now I'm really kickin' myself in the but for not getting up.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Not to worry, Nelson. We can go to French Memories some other time :wink:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Oh stop it you big tease. :oops:
Chip

Post by Chip »

OK you guys are starting to worry me. If you start wearing your skirts on non paddling days I will really start o worry. :lol:
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Photos have been added to the trip report and it has been linked in to the other pages.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Thanks Pat
Todd

Post by Todd »

Nice job Steve and Pat.
Carolina Perception 14.5
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi guys.

Nice report. Sounds like you had a great time. I'll join you when sunrise is after 8:00 am!

Todd, I can beleive you got up in the middle of the night two night is a row. You are really turning in to a hard core kayaker! You even had time to feel the cat before you left! You keep amazing me!

Bea
Bea
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

NorwayLady wrote:I'll join you when sunrise is after 8:00 am!

And as the earth is spinning wildly off its axis, Bea gets one last paddle in! :D
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

You are really turning in to a hard core kayaker! You even had time to feel the cat before you left! You keep amazing me!

Bea,
I'm not exactly sure how to take this :twisted: ?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Nelson,

I think it's a Norwegian thing... best left alone :D
Todd

Post by Todd »

Guys,

I have known Bea for some time, and I keep amazing her.

I have known Linda for even longer, and she tells me the same thing, that I amaze her. I guess it is just something I was born with.
Carolina Perception 14.5
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

sure... but how does your cat feel about you, Todd :wink:
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Yes, Todd really amazed me when I sold him the pie for $25.00............and then he share it with me.

Bea
Bea
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Hey Steve... I still don't think they get it. I guess you have to have a warped mind like ours. :?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

For those that didn't pick up on it, go back and read Bea's statement.... something to the effect of Todd FEELING his cat.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I got it. I just don't want it. :wink:
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Ok............I finally get it.

It's along the same line as when Pat was looking for the Swedish Biking team................

Now you know how "slow" the Norwegians really are......and how bad their spelling is.

NorwayLady
Bea
Todd

Post by Todd »

Okay, so Bea and I are innocent and you guys are sick, now I understand.
Carolina Perception 14.5
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

NorwayLady wrote:It's along the same line as when Pat was looking for the Swedish Biking team................

Now you know how "slow" the Norwegians really are......and how bad their spelling is.

"Bikini team" "BIKINI TEAM" !

Bea, you're doing this on purpose. You're just trying to get out of writing trip reports.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com