Used Kayaks

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Scott O

Used Kayaks

Post by Scott O »

Looking for a used touring kayak. Any ideas as to where to look? Any info is appreciated.
Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my opened ears inciting and inviting me.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Scott,

Do you know what brand/model kayak you want? No two models feel the same and you will want to try before you buy to be sure you get what is going to work for you. If you're not yet sure, I would strongly recommend going to see Doug at Billington Sea Kayak (http://www.billingtonseakayak.com/). Doug has tons of boats that you can demo on "the sea" (really a pond) right off his propery. He is a "no pressure" salesman and very helpful. He sometimes has older or slightly damaged yaks that he's selling at reduced rates. Worse case, you will then know what kayak to look for as you go searching for a used one. While you're there, demo the paddles as well.

Good kayaks tend to retain their value. My experience has been that any decent yak still in good shape, is not a whole lot cheaper than new.

You can sometimes find yaks on Craig's List (http://boston.craigslist.org/boa/), but you need to keep a diligent watch... the good ones go quickly.

Another possibility is NSPN (http://www.nspn.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID4&conf=DCConfID1)
BobV

Post by BobV »

Another place for used kayaks is Charles River Canoe & Kayak. Located at jct. of 128 & Mass Pike in Newton. See (www.ski-paddle.com/paddle_shop/kayakdeals.html) for current boats they have (used and deals on new boats.) We have picked up two there over the years. You can test paddle them on the Charles. They also rent various kayaks (and canoes) if you want to paddle up/down stream for a while to try kayaking before committing.

Paddling Net (www.paddling.net/Classifieds/) is another place to look.

And if anyone is looking for a used Wilderness Syatems Piccolo (Child or small adult to 110 lbs) see (www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=361) , or Perception Catilina (now called Carolina 13.5, another boat for smaller paddlers), (www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1114) we have one of each that the kids are too big for...
Necky Elaho HV
[& Bobby w/Perception Shadow 16.5]
chpaton

Used Touring Kayaks

Post by chpaton »

Paddling.Net usually has several listed in Massachusetts. Try this link: http://www.paddling.net/Classifieds/for ... l&state=MA
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Scott O

Post by Scott O »

Great info. Thank you.

Few more questions....

My summer is overbooked at this point (marriage, new condo, etc) so I'm thinking of waiting til Sept to pick something up. Can I assume that I can get some good deals at the end of the summer?

Also, I'll be living right near the Charles, so I'm thinking I'll be spending at least 50% of my time there. Would a touring yak be best suited for that type of paddling? Thanks again.
Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing through my opened ears inciting and inviting me.
chpaton

Re: End of Summer Deals and What kind to get

Post by chpaton »

Scott:

Yes there will be some end of summer deals as the outfitters try to reduce inventory and get rid of some of their retal fleet as the summer winds down. The really big deals however come in the dead of winter when the outfitters and getting ready to recieve the "new" models for the comming year.

As to what kind of 'yak to get, well that depends a lot on you and what you intend to do with it. First of all, you have to get one that fits you - i.e. how tall are you? How much do you weigh?. Then you have to decide the type of paddling you're gonna do - causal outings of an hour or two, day touring, overnight camping, flat water, flat water with current, white water, coastal waters, open ocean etc., etc. There is no one type of boat that can do all of these things well and fit all sizes of paddlers.

Since the Charles in conveinent for you - I suggest that when your schedule allows it you rent a couple of differnt 'yaks from Charles River Canoe and Kayak and see what you like. They also offer instruction if you think you would like and benefit from some lessons.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Chip

Post by Chip »

BobV wrote:Another place for used kayaks is Charles River Canoe & Kayak. Located at jct. of 128 & Mass Pike in Newton. See (www.ski-paddle.com/paddle_shop/kayakdeals.html) for current boats they have (used and deals on new boats.) We have picked up two there over the years. You can test paddle them on the Charles. They also rent various kayaks (and canoes) if you want to paddle up/down stream for a while to try kayaking before committing.

Paddling Net (www.paddling.net/Classifieds/) is another place to look.

And if anyone is looking for a used Wilderness Syatems Piccolo (Child or small adult to 110 lbs) see (www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=361) , or Perception Catilina (now called Carolina 13.5, another boat for smaller paddlers), (www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1114) we have one of each that the kids are too big for...

Bob,
How much are you asking for the piccolo?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire