My new homebuilt cart

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

My new homebuilt cart

Post by pat »

First of all, this is NOT my design. It's pretty much a direct copy from <a href="http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/building/thumbnails.php?album=2">here</a>. I made a few minor modifications.

Some of the PVC joints aren't glued, so the cart comes apart for easy storage in the yak.

My biggest problem was that on the original design, the guy gave instructions on cutting a bigger hole in the pool noodle, but I was unable to come up with anything that gave a hint of future success. I WAS able to simply stretch the noodle over the pipe, but I wasn't able to do more than about three inches before it'd bind up and start shredding. So instead of one 10" length, I used two 3" lengths. This actually gives some space between them where the strap will go.

I also came up with a better method (imho) for securing the wheels.

His design calls for using "D-Rings" to secure the non-glued parts. When I got to the auto-supply store, they'd closed, so I checked Lowes. They had them, but they cost $4 each, which would have doubled the cost of the cart so far. So for the time being, I'm just using Ron's solution of nails.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ron

Post by Ron »

I like it Pat. The more I look at it, the less I like mine.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

And when the next guy (or girl) learns from me and builds his, I'll hate mine.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

ohhh.... way cool!!!!
Chip

Post by Chip »

pat wrote:And when the next guy (or girl) learns from me and builds his, I'll hate mine.

That's why I am waiting to build mine. :D

Looks good.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Y'know what I think I'd like to get - one of those longish bags with a drawstring that comes with a folding chair or tent. It'd almost be worth it to spend the five bucks to get a decent bag and throw the chair away. :)
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Pat,

What do you think the max weight capacity is?
Dave

Sweet Cart!

Post by Dave »

Very nice! I've never seen one before. So I guess this is for portaging?

The chair would probably be cheaper than getting a bag at EMS or REI, I think I paid around 10 for a small bag for backpacking at REI last fall.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

get'n-outside wrote:What do you think the max weight capacity is?

Well, it handled my 55 lb kayak without any trouble at all. Then I sat in the kayak while it was on the cart and... er... the capacity is somewhere <i>between</i> 55 lb and 240 lb.

I'm kidding. I really don't know. It seemed very sturdy, but I was only pulling it around the driveway, which is hardly a rugged test. I'll bring it with me on Thursday. Pulling through the sand on the beach will tell me more of what I want to know.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pat
Site Admin

Re: Sweet Cart!

Post by pat »

Dave wrote:So I guess this is for portaging?

It probably could be used for portaging, but my primary use would be to get from the car to the water. Sometimes it's a bit of a walk.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

pat wrote:Y'know what I think I'd like to get - one of those longish bags with a drawstring that comes with a folding chair or tent. It'd almost be worth it to spend the five bucks to get a decent bag and throw the chair away. :)

Why don't you cut the leg off an old pair of sweatpants and sew the bottom and add a drawstring. Or take a towel and make a tube out of it.
Dot made me a couple of small bags made from fleece for my GPS and other small camping stuff.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hey, I <i>do</i> have several sets of ratty sweats that I can never bring myself to throw away. Turns out I've been pretty smart all these years!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
John J

Bigger wheels?

Post by John J »

Nice job.........looks sharp! I been thinking about building a cart, I have the wheels........and now a good design to go with them. If you went with larger diameter wheels it would increase ground clearance. How big are those?

John
Pungo 120 & Adventure 16
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I got the wheels at Lowes last year. They've got ball bearing fittings with a 1/2" dia hole. They're 8" dia and 2" wide. The Lowes sku number is 37049 91869.

Today, I picked up some some, er... thingies. I was using nails to hold the loose pieces together, but they tended to fall out. Now I've got these:

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
John J

Post by John J »

Pat,

I believe they are called clevis pins. Thanks for posting this stuff. We need more people to post info like your cart. This group, I am sure is a welth of knowledge.

Thanks,
John
Pungo 120 & Adventure 16