North River - July 9th

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

North River - July 9th

Post by Chip »

Hi All,
Pat and I are planning a trip on the North River for our campground. We will be paddling from Union St to Hanover.
We wanted to open it up to the Turkeys with the stipulation that someone here organize and lead the Turkeys. We can't take on the added responsibility. We plan to launch at 12:00noon.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm doing a tour of Mass lighthouses that day. Have a great time.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Rubi I

July 9 North River Trip

Post by Rubi I »

Hi....I'll give the trip leader role a shot...tide is high at the bridge about 1 hour after Damon's Point...on the 9th, that would be 3:30, maybe less 'cause it's a low High tide!! If you're going in at noon, you'll be fine, altho a little low in the water...Were you planning to shuttle?.. If so, leave time to drop the yaks at the put-in(leaving one person to watch over them) and then cars up to Hanover with a carpool coming back to the put-in..about a half hour...+/-... Lunch or not?? Couch beach/Blueberry Island is about an easy hour or fast half hour out from Marshfield...the next good stop area is about half hour from the take out....figure a solid 3 hour trip going at a good steady pace.....One car(the carpool car) will be left at the put-in so that driver will need to be taken back to pick up his/her car....is this too complicated...I think that's the best way to do the "up river" trip unless somebody has a better thought....Looking forward to meeting some of the wild turkeys, altho I may try ot make the Thursday pm skills class...Paddle On....Mslink/Rubi I
Dave

Sounds like fun.

Post by Dave »

I think I can make this one, my wife is working again though, so it would just be me, don't know if that would be a problem as far as leaving someone with our yaks and parking. It will be a bit for before I can commit, might have to take a road trip to NY that weekend.

Is Boston Light on that tour? Is it a paddling excursion? Boston Light is definitely one of my long term goals, but I'm not there yet. You'll have to let us know about the tour. Sounds like fun.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Is Boston Light on that tour? Is it a paddling excursion? Boston Light is definitely one of my long term goals, but I'm not there yet. You'll have to let us know about the tour. Sounds like fun.

:?:
Chip

Re: July 9 North River Trip

Post by Chip »

Rubi I wrote:Hi....I'll give the trip leader role a shot...tide is high at the bridge about 1 hour after Damon's Point...on the 9th, that would be 3:30, maybe less 'cause it's a low High tide!! If you're going in at noon, you'll be fine, altho a little low in the water...Were you planning to shuttle?.. If so, leave time to drop the yaks at the put-in(leaving one person to watch over them) and then cars up to Hanover with a carpool coming back to the put-in..about a half hour...+/-... Lunch or not?? Couch beach/Blueberry Island is about an easy hour or fast half hour out from Marshfield...the next good stop area is about half hour from the take out....figure a solid 3 hour trip going at a good steady pace.....One car(the carpool car) will be left at the put-in so that driver will need to be taken back to pick up his/her car....is this too complicated...I think that's the best way to do the "up river" trip unless somebody has a better thought....Looking forward to meeting some of the wild turkeys, altho I may try ot make the Thursday pm skills class...Paddle On....Mslink/Rubi I

Hi Ruby I,
Thanks for stepping up. It looks like there may not be much of a group but you are welcome to paddle with the campground group. We have run this trip before so we are ok with the logistics. What kind of kayak do you paddle?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Birdseye wrote:

:?:

http://www.lighthouse.cc/boston/map3.html
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nelson,
I think Dave is inquiring about your Lighthouse tour, not the North River trip. I was confused at first myself.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Dave,

Now I know what your talking about. It's not a kayak trip it's a like a whale watch but we look at lighthouses instead. As far as I know they are hitting all of the major lighthouses from Boston Harbor to Gloucester. The cost is about $46 per person.

I'll take and share my pics when I go.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think this is the link to the tour we're goin on.

http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/h_spec_light.html
Rubi I

July 9 N. River trip

Post by Rubi I »

Hi Chip....I paddle a Lincoln Chebeague...14'6"... great for rivers and lakes...and calm coastal/bay areas...Hope to see you at the Plym. session if the weather holds....
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hi Rubi I,
Nice boat. Very light.
I hope the lightening stays away. Otherwise I am ok with a little rain.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Regardless of anyplace else, the weather is always great at Curlew pond. If there is a threat of rain, we have a dome that stretches over the entire pond.

;)
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nelson, looks like a fun trip. We did the whale watch a couple years ago, but it was so rough they turned the boat around before we got out of the harbor. Been meaning to try again. The light house tour sounds great, you know the lighthouses will be where the supposed to be, as opposed to the whales who frequently don't cooperate. Take lots of pics!
Dave

Is this trip

Post by Dave »

still going to happen Saturday?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

We're watching the weather. As it becomes more clear what will happen, we might postpone a day or a week.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Trip officially cancelled. We will be paddling on Sunday same time.
Dave

Sounds good

Post by Dave »

It looks pretty bad for tomorrow, which actually works out better for me. Gotta get a paper done, the last one of the summer!!! So, I'll check in tomorrow night. Have a good Saturday.
Rubi I

N.River trip on Sunday

Post by Rubi I »

Hi Chip...Sunday looks a lot better...will try to make it... but am torn between that and watching bull riding at the Marshfield Fair!!!.... :roll:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Rubi I,

I've been to the bull riding at the Marshfield Fair and was not extremely impressed (I like it on TV though). I think the kayaking would be a MUCH better idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Nelson
Rubi I

North River trip VS bull-riding

Post by Rubi I »

Hi Bird!
you were right but had to go at least once....did enjoy the girls' barrel racing tho'....will skip it next year...a maddening crowd...once is E-NUFF!!!
Hope the river trip was a success...anybody up for a paddle this week?? The AMC group(on the Cape-not Boston) is doing the Palmer River in Seekonk (where is that?) on Wednesday...I think...Keep in touch.... :wink: :wink:
MsLink
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

The trip was a success for what it was. I'm getting really sick of the North River. It probably accounts for nearly 50% of all the paddling I've done in the three years I've been at it.

I think I can speak for Chip and Ron when I say that we're really ready for something a little more interesting, with at least <i>some</i> challenge.
Last edited by pat on Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I think I can speak for Chip when I say that we're really ready for something a little more interesting, with at least some challenge.

Let's do it!! 8)