getnoutside

Hey Jim!!!

Post by getnoutside »

Did I ever share this with you?

[/img]
Jim Fitzgerald

Post by Jim Fitzgerald »

Hey Steve!

I did get a copy of that from you last year, but thanks for reminding me of a great day. That was a lot of fun! Are you planning on do it again this year and if so are you going to take the Skerry or a yak?

Jim
Chesapeake 18
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'll be up in Maine this year, so I will not be able to attend. How about you?
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Jim.

Great to have you back!

Are you guys going to share with the other Turkeys what the photo is? It looks like a lot of fun...........whatever it is.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Bea,

The photo is of last years Great River Race (put on by the NSRWA). I think Lisa took the photo from the Union St. Bridge at the start of the race. Jim's Chesapeake 18 is a must see... a real beauty!!!!
Jim Fitzgerald

Post by Jim Fitzgerald »

The boat doesn't look as good as she did last year when she was new, but she's a great boat.

We ought to get a Wild Turkey team together for the Great River Race this year. We can draft each other like the bike racers do. Neck snapping speed! Wahoo!
Chesapeake 18
Chip

Post by Chip »

Jim Fitzgerald wrote:The boat doesn't look as good as she did last year when she was new, but she's a great boat.

We ought to get a Wild Turkey team together for the Great River Race this year. We can draft each other like the bike racers do. Neck snapping speed! Wahoo!

I call I'm Lance Armstrong! That way you guys have to let me win. :lol:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Todd

Post by Todd »

I have been looking at the Chesapeake in the last few days. I feel that I may have outgrown my Perception 14.5 and am looking for an inexpensive way to upgrade. The Chesapeake may be the option and it may be fun to build. I'm not a woodworking genius, maybe I'm a woodworking idiot, but I'm not a total idiot.

Jim, Steve, anyone, what do you think? 40-80 hours of building, assembling, glueing, preconstructed parts. I can do it, right?

Todd
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Jim, Steve, anyone, what do you think? 40-80 hours of building, assembling, glueing, preconstructed parts.

That's quite a chunk of time, you might need to check with the activities director? :wink:
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Well, that is understood. 40-80 hours in the garage, basement, over a period of time. At least my activity director will know I'm not running the streets or off gambling and drinking somewhere.
Carolina Perception 14.5
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Todd,

In my expereince double the time and the cost (materials and tools will cost you almost as much as the kit). Can you do it... absolutely. But, don't even think of building unless you plan to take your time, do it right, and enjoy the building process.
Jim Fitzgerald

Post by Jim Fitzgerald »

You can absolutely build a boat yourself and you will love the final result. You do not need to be a woodworking guru to do it. My electrician is building a Chessy 17LT in my shop right now and he has had no problems. He started in early April and working very part time he will be using the boat this weekend, so you realistically need to budget a couple of months of spare time to get it done, although I bet you could build it in 2 weeks if you did it "full time" (there's a lot of waiting for epoxy to dry). That time does not include varnishing/painting time, which probably adds another week to the process, again mostly for drying time.

For someone who is not a commercial buyer of wood products (I have a cabinet shop and buy better than the public) purchasing a kit is probably really no more expensive than buying the materials piece meal. My electrician, by the way, is building a kit. The instruction booklet is twice as developed as it was when I got my stuff 3 years ago. You will probably need to buy a little more epoxy, since newbies (including me) use too much of the stuff, but the price is not terrible. Kit cost is about $700 and you'll blow an additional $100 or so by the time you're done. Of course, if you are a gadget junkie like me that expense is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd be happy to give you some pointers to simplify life and get you over the hard parts (there's this tricky little rolling bevel you need to create to make the deck meet the hull that sounds like brain surgery in the manual but is really simple and fun to do). Also, you are welcome to try out my boat and see if you like the feel of a hard chine boat. My is finished bright so you can see what an unfinished hull looks like. The jump from your 15' boat to my 18' boat is kinda extreme and I would recommend the Chessy 17, but you can at least get a good sense of the boat.

There's also a great book out now with tips that the manuals do not tell you about how to trick out you home built boat better. It's called Kayaks You Can Build by Ted Moore and Greg Rossel. I have it at home and you are welcome to borrow that as well if you don't want to buy it.

Go on, build a boat. Have some fun and make something beautiful.

Jim
Chesapeake 18
Todd

Post by Todd »

Jim,

Thanks for the good word. I had read about the kits on their website and the Chessy 17 looked good. $700-800 for the entire kit. I understand the time investmen needed but it would be something beautiful and something I could take pride in. I also have been alerted more than once that taking my time would be of the essence.

Thanks for the offer of the book, I also saw that on Chessy's Website, that would be very helpful.

Advice and trying your yak would be greatfully appreciated. I'm sure that as a long time Marshfieldonian you know Roger Crawford. He let me try his yak a few weeks back, I think he built that one. Ever since then, I knew that I was going to be a bit poorer in the near future. I think I can be patient for a few months while I build.

I hope to run into you in the near future Jim.

Todd
Carolina Perception 14.5