Whale Watch - Saturday, April 5, 2014

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Whale Watch - Saturday, April 5, 2014

Post by norm »

Do we want to make another attempt to view whales again this year? How about trying earlier in April this time. Last time we tried fairly early April but got delayed 2 weeks by windy weather. The day we ended up going was great for viewing with very calm water, but there was little to see. http://wtpaddlers.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3154 And we found out later that while we were in P-Town, the whales were over near Plymouth.

It would be nice if we can get a whale location forecast if possible this year so we can do a better job of being in the right place.

So, lets think about April 5th as a possible date for an early season trip. There is already plans in the works for a north shore trip on the 12th by somebody else...

Cold water gear will be required and all that good warning stuff...
Mark G

Re: Whale Watch - Saturday, April 5, 2014

Post by Mark G »

I'll be there. Whales were seen today surface feeding at Herring Cove beach.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Sounds like a plan! Hope the weather will cooperate for us :)
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Will be there
Joseph
Cetus LV
ricso

Post by ricso »

I'm interested
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

This will be the first year that I am unable to paddle with that whales. Bummer, but since I will be starting a job that Monday, maybe I,all take a plane ride out to see you all with them!
Eileen
josko
antispam: No

Post by josko »

When do we hear whether this is happening?
norm

Post by norm »

josko wrote:When do we hear whether this is happening?

I guess I should decide by Wednesday evening and post a plan if it is a go. Weather forecast is a little crappy right now with a 60% chance of rain and offshore wind.

Marine forecast is: Sat: S winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Rain likely.

Has anyone heard about any recent whale sightings? Are they staying more near P-Town this year or are they going back and forth to Plymouth again?
pdetorres

Post by pdetorres »

Also Interested

would like to car pool.

Pablo
quincy
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I have only heard that there are 12 in the area. They spent several days off the coast of Dennis, and then moved to Provincetown. I' be been out there a couple of times, and haven ' t seen anything from shore. I haven' t seen anything about them being here in great numbers yet.
Eileen
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for the info Eileen.

Looking at the weather forecasts this morning for Saturday has convinced me to cancel this trip for this week. The forecasts have worsened and I don't feel like driving 4-5 hours to paddle in the rain, wind and waves in 38 degree water, especially if there have not been many whale sightings.

The weather forecast is up to 80% chance of rain in the morning.
The marine forecast is now:
Sat
S winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 25 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Rain likely.

If anyone else wants to take over the planning and keep this trip alive, be my guest.
cgr

Post by cgr »

norm wrote: The forecasts have worsened and I don't feel like driving 4-5 hours to paddle in the rain, wind and waves in 38 degree water, especially if there have not been many whale sightings.

Glad to see that vacation didn't soften you Norm!

Is it ice out in Hanson yet?
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Norm,
You can come skiing on Sunday.
KR
norm

Post by norm »

Ken R wrote:Norm,
You can come skiing on Sunday.

Thanks. Maybe next year. Bea's ski pictures are making me yearn for the slopes again.

I signed up for the pool session this Sunday. Have a great time at Killington.

Do we get any credit for bringing Bea back from the Exumas safely?

She almost killed Ron on the "down day" hiking in heat and humidity. Don't think there was any chance that Bea would get hurt. It was the rest of us that were in danger trying to keep up with her that had to worry!
Archee

Post by Archee »

Folks, the reports of whales mostly goes against the Right whales.. and those you can't even get close enough to see from kayak - 500 yards mandatory.. but as of the other whales goes.. we did trip this past Sunday to see if the Dennis and Yarmouthport is confirmed.. though nothing to see, nothing to hear... I will probably check the Plymouth side of the bay this weekend and see if I get something.. The winter was tougher this year then in 2 previous years and water stayed really warm until December.... also we had a huge red tide last year.. so I'm expecting to affect the phytoplankton and krill in the bay.. Back in 2012 we had seen enough whales but Right whales came around November 19th 2011. This year, the right whales came around January 15th so that's a 2 months shift.. I would expect to see more of everything around mid May end of May.. same goes to Bass as in previous years I already caught some in March.. not this year .. not a single bite..though juvenile right whale was seen 1st week of April in Boston Harbor.. so go figure..I keep you posted if I'm planning to go down.. but probably yes.. and probably to Race point again.

Archee