What would be an intermediate paddle?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

What would be an intermediate paddle?

Post by pat »

While it was nice to get out and paddle with all our non-paddling friends on the North River yesterday... Chip, Ron and I would have rather been doing something a lot more challenging, i.e. ocean. But I'm not sure what the next step would be. We don't want to bite off more than we can chew.

We've paddled around Plymouth Harbor a bit. And while we did some of Hingham Harbor, it was unnaturally calm and free of boats on that rainy day.

I have to assume that there are some ocean trips that are more agressive than others - I just don't know which are which.

So this question is up for comment to everyone, but I'm very interested in hearing from some of the more experienced out there like Steve. What trips should we be taking as our next step vs. others that should wait till we have a little more seasoning?

One that I mentioned in the old forum is Duxbury Bay. After I post this, I'll transpose that thread to this forum.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I think Duxbury Bay would be ideal for those that have learned to do assisted and solo re-entries. The predominate wind on the bay is out of the SW. This means that there is a significant enough fetch to create some nice chop when launching from Powder Point on a windy day. It might be a good opportunity to pratice re-entries in rougher conditions.
Dave

Intermediate trip

Post by Dave »

I'm certainly not a more experienced paddler, but since you asked for ideas from everyone . . . Wollaston-Hangman's-Peddocks-Rainsford-Long Island & back. Done it twice, it's a lot of open water, I wouldn't do it on a rough day. But there is a lot chop on a good day, I'm meaning to do it again soon. Couple of nice beaches to stop on and stretch out, enjoy the view. It would be even better during the week, lots of traffic out there.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Dave, how much time should one schedule for that trip? Just curious how early I'd have to duck out of work and still make it back before dark.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Hmmmm

Post by Dave »

I think you would want about 6 hours, but we've taken long breaks on the beaches to wander around out there. If you skip Rainsford and Long Islands and just head straight back to Nutt it is a lot shorter as well, probably do it in less than 5 with breaks if you go that way, then just paddle back along Houghes Neck. The roughest part of the trip was the Rainsford-Long Island leg, so you could sort of re-group at Peddocks and decide if you want to do that or just head back to Nutt.
chpaton

Definition of an intermediate trip

Post by chpaton »

Pat:

There are a sveral of ways to define an intermediate trip. One is the type of wind, waves, and traffic you'll be encountering, another is the length of time you'll be paddling between breaks, yet another is the paddling effort expected (casual speed or a brisk pace?), and another is the distance being traveled.

IMO just about anything in Boston Harbor that gets you out amongst the islands should be classified as an intermediate trip because of the distances involved and possibility of a certain level of wind and waves, not to mention boat traffic this time of year.

Dave has mentioned some ideas for Boston Harbor, a couple of other alternatives are:

Wollaston Beach, past Moon Head, circumnavigate Long Island & return. Has the advantage of exposing you to "conditions" but keeping the shore within easy reach if something unforseen happens.

Nickerson Beach on Squantum, to Thompson's Is. then to Spectacle Is. and back. You can also detour to City Point in Southie if you are so inclined.

Quincy Marine Center Hough's Neck, to Peddock's & back (can circumnavigate Peddocks thru Hull Gut if you time it right and pick the right direction)

Quincy Marine Center, to Sheep, Grape and Slate Is & Return.

And perhaps the piece d'resitance: Windmill Point Hull to George's and/or Lovell's Island, or to Boston Light, Calf & the Brewsters.

For most of these trips you would need to be able to paddle in at least two foot chop and possibly need to handle three foot plus swells. You would need to be able to maintain a 3.5 - 4 mph paddling speed for at least 2 hours without a break.

Wind is almost always a factor in Boston Harbor this time of year, count on 10 to 15 mph and don't be surprised if it goes to 20. If the weather is fair and warm an afternoon off shore breeze at 15 gusting to 20 is fairly typical.

If your route takes you across any shipping channels you must be watchful and prepared. Commercial Boat Traffic expects you to get out of their way and you must assume that Private Boat Traffic is too oblivious to see you, so you better get out of thier way too!

It goes without saying that you need to be able to preform a self-rescue in these conditions, and that you have the proper safety equipment.

Personnally, I'd recommend starting out with an extended trip or three among the Harbor Islands in Dorchester Bay, Quincy Bay and Hingham Bay before venturing out from Windmill Point.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I'm getting excited now.

I'm using Google Earth (see other thread) to check these places out. What you're saying makes sense. I'll have to get out to some of those places. That entire area - Boston to Hull is loaded with interesting-looking places to paddle.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Craig

Post by Dave »

Which islands in Dorchester Bay? Thompson and Spectacle? Or is there something closer in? I haven't been over that way yet, but I definitely want to get over there.
chpaton

Islands in Dorchester Bay

Post by chpaton »

Dave:

If you launch from Nickerson Beach on Squantum Thompson's is very close. At extreme low tide you can actually walk from Squaw Rock on Squantum to Thompson's across the small channel then onto the sand bar to the island. I'd be surprised if some of the delinquents in the Outward Bound program on Thompson's haven't fiqured out that means of escape.

Spectacle is a bit beyond the end of Thompson's and you have to cross a major shipping lane (the one used by the Harbor Express Catamaran and all the other commuter ferries between Hingham/Quincy & Boston) to get there.

Depending on the wind direction and strength, this area can be a bit more challenging than Quincy Bay & Hinghm Bay especially with an onshore east northeasterly blowing in from President Roads - Deer Is does not provide any windbreak and the fetch right off Mass. Bay pushes the swells right down the chute between Spectacle and Long Islands. I've had a couple of nice afternoon rides down the bay with following winds and sea. The biggest seas I've personaly experienced were out off the tip of Long Island in President Roads - swells 4 to 6' with steep faces and short periods between waves, plus chop from many boat wakes.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I wish they'd come up with a better font color scheme than dark blue with a black border.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

Where's Hangman's?

Post by Dave »

Craig,

Sounds like a good trip. That channel between Long Island and Moon was a little hairy, it would be nice to launch from Squantum and avoid it. There's no way to cut over between Squantum and Moon, right? I like the idea of starting over on the other side, we could see more of Dorchester Bay that way.

I like that map Pat. Very nice.
chpaton

Dorchester Bay

Post by chpaton »

Dave:

Nickerson Beach on Squantum is just under the "a" in Squaw on the areial photo that Pat posted. There is limited parking (6 - 8 cars) avialable about 75 yards up the road. As with most of the beach launching spots it's beneficial to plan your trip around high tide, but it's certainly not as muddy as Wollaston at low.

I understand your trepidations about the channel between Moon Head and Long Is., I tend to use the bridge as a screen - I follow the bridge closely to the center span then quickly cross the channel and duck back under the bridge on the other side. Crossing from Long Is to Spectacle involves less boat traffic than crossing from Thompson's. Crossing from Thompson's takes you across the same channel that goes under the Long Is bridge, but at a wider and less defined point.

If we're getting serious about going we should put something in the Upcoming Trips area. Unfortunately I have mother-in-law from Fla visiting which will severely limit my availability, if not completely eliminate it for next weekend (Saturday is pretty much a no-go at this point) and possibly the weekend after. I definitely cannot make any commitments more than 12 - 24 hrs. in advance. :(
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Dave

We can do it when you have the time.

Post by Dave »

Craig,
I think you probably have the best knowledge of the harbor. I don't feel ready to lead a trip at this point. We can move it to the other thread and plan it for when you're open.

(BTW Don't know if you got my email, I'm real sorry I missed you last week. Its really not like me to sleep late, but I guess three days off in a row just got me lazy. Next time I will definitely set an alarm to be sure.)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

chpaton wrote:If we're getting serious about going we should put something in the Upcoming Trips area.

I'm itchy as hell to go, but I definitely wouldn't mind having a veteran in the group, and wouldn't have a problem waiting till you're available.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Dave

July 23-30

Post by Dave »

Craig and Pat,

Forgot, I'm going away the 23-30th, going to the Vineyard with the yaks on the roof! Anyhoo, I won't be able to make any trips in that time. Obviously if you can work something in that time you should go for it. Mabe we can save Dorchester Islands for August? It sounds like that will be the first time that everyone will be available to plan something.

This weekend Sunday might work though for a turkey outing. Once I know what is up for the weekend, I'ld love to join in if a trip comes together. I'm interested in checking out this spit place sometime. Sounds like a barbeque joint.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

You've got to go to The Spit on a hot weekend afternoon. It is THE place to be. I get the feeling that some of these power boaters stake their claim very early.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I also believe I'll be available on Sunday if something comes up.

And for the record I'm also very interested in doing everything mentioned above but I figured everybody pretty much knew that already :D .
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Birdseye wrote:And for the record I'm also very interested in doing everything mentioned above but I figured everybody pretty much knew that already :D .

Three guess as to who's kid finally moved out of the house :lol:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:Three guess as to who's kid finally moved out of the house :lol:

Kid.... what kid? :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Birdseye wrote:
get'n-outside wrote:Three guess as to who's kid finally moved out of the house :lol:

Kid.... what kid? :twisted:

Change your locks. I moved back in when I was 26 for a few monthes.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Change your locks. I moved back in when I was 26 for a few monthes.

By the time he's 26 I might me ready for him to come back.......... maybe.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I didn't move out until I was 29... and that was only because my bride insisted that I had to live with HER :D
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:I didn't move out until I was 29... and that was only because my bride insisted that I had to live with HER :D

Yeah, that's how they are. You marry them and then they expect you to do everything they tell you. :roll: