Future Tour - Duxbury Bay (from old forum)

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Future Tour - Duxbury Bay (from old forum)

Post by pat »

This was originally posted on the old forum on June 1, 2005. I didn't bother transposing the smiley code. Hopefully the jokes are obvious. I'm not putting it in the Upcoming Trips section because no date is currently set. If/when we DO come up with a date, I'll move it.
<hr><i>pat:</i>
Chip mentioned how tough these creeks are to navigate a 17-foot yak, so here's an idea for a trip for you longboaters that we can do sometime during the summer.
Launch from the Powder Point Bridge again and follow the orange line ("Change here for the blue line. Next stop - Haymarket."). We'd wind up at a public landing at the mouth of the Jones River.

I estimate this to be 10 miles, so 3-4 hours plus barbeque time at Saquish.
<hr><i>Birdseye:</i>
I'm definitely in, just let me know when you're ready.

Been dying to do this route.
Nelson, you're such a stick in the mud. You never want to do anything.

My only concern would be how much traffic there is when we cut from Saquish back to the mainland.
We'll just have to time it right and paddle like hell!
Nelson, you went to that sea kayaking slide show at the Expo back in March, right? The guy pointed out a radar reflector mounted on the front of one of the kayaks. That might not be a bad idea. But he also said that a six-pack of empty beer cans in the bow works exactly the same.
<hr><i>Chip:</i>
My cans are silver. They should work well. Pat, you should have some old CDs or DVDs laying around. They make good reflectors too. Just hang and old Lucy rerun around your neck and you should be fine.

We should also watch the current around Clark Island.
Then a case would be even better.
Hey Pat,
Is that Skinny line jutting out at the bottom of the picture the jetty in Plymouth Harbor?
<hr><i>Norwaylady:</i>
Could you guys get back to work!

I have two kayaks to pay for this month ( my own and Pat's!).

All your postings are such a distraction to a productive workday.........

Never mind. Count me in on this trip!
Hey Pat,
What do you charge for advertising on wtpaddlers?
<hr><i>dsroberts:</i>
Depending on where the tide is at, the majority of the boat traffic will be where that channel is... known as the Cowyard (it is marked with buoy's), so timing the crossing isn't too difficult. The exception to this might be a couple of hours before high tide, when all the pleasure fishing boats are parading out of Snug Harbor on the weekends

That said, the current around Clark's Island can be nasty. So, I'd still be inclined to time leaving Saquish before high-tide, or at least when it's coming back in (better to get pushed back to the bridge).

Saquish is a beautiful beach. Nothing but white sand.
on , chip wrote:
Is that Skinny line jutting out at the bottom of the picture the jetty in Plymouth Harbor?

Yes, it is. BTW - I'm not using any exotic software to get these images. It's just a plain old website:

http://www.terraserver.com/search/city_search.asp

on , bea wrote:
Could you guys get back to work!

I have two kayaks to pay for this month ( my own and Pat's!).

Hey - I'm trying! But you guys keep posting back!! I've got work to do!

on , chip wrote:
What do you charge for advertising on wtpaddlers?

You couldn't afford it. Even with your 5% co-owner discount.
<hr><i>sdroberts:</i>
Quote:
Yes, it is. BTW - I'm not using any exotic software to get these images. It's just a plain old website:

http://www.terraserver.com/search/city_search.asp

Pat,

Have you seen this, yet?
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/ I haven't taken the time to download the 175M file, but it looks like it could be cool.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Pat, is this trip intended to be a one way or an out and back?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Well, if we go by the route I marked, it would be a one-way. It's about 10 miles as marked. If we then paddled back to the launch point, we'd probably be talking more like 17 miles, which would be pretty ambitious. Instead of turning left to go to Kinston when we approached the mainland again, we could turn right and head back to the launch point. I figured if we turned left, we'd see a lot more "new" area, but we can weigh the pros/cons of shuttling/new-stuff vs. non-shuttling/old-stuff.

And depending on when we go, we might be able to hire a shuttle commander.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'm up for it. I suppose we need favorable tides.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'll do whatever the group/trip leader decides but I think I'd always rather do a round trip rather than a shuttle.

Just my .02
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

Is this going anywhere?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire