Bilge Pump Mounting

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

rkhederian

Bilge Pump Mounting

Post by rkhederian »

Hi All,

Its been a long winter and I am now doing some work on the kayak in preparation for the upcoming season. I am trying to find a good location for my Bilge pump - previously I store it way in back where I cannot reach it which is not the smartest move.

I know some people mount in in the cockpit at the top center. I am not sure if my cockpit is short, but if I put my bilge in there it comes slightly past the combing by about 1". I have a 21 inch bilge pump, Seattle Sports. Those of you that do this, how do you overcome this issue? Are there shorter bilge pumps you recommend, or am I missing something else?

Any suggestions? If you can snap a quick photo that would be helpful.
Thanks
Bob
Briggsy

Re: Bilge Pump Mounting

Post by Briggsy »

Bob,
I have this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-High-Sea- ... kayak+pump

I've had mine for years no problems, ignore the reviews

It fits behind the seat of my cetus when touring. It is a lot shorter than the Seattle Sports one.
If I am surfing I usually stash it on the front deck between the spare paddle halves so it is easy to get at.
I attach a string with a clip on so it won't get washed away.

You can get them cheaply sometimes from Sierra Trading Post who also have good deals on the thicker vinyl dry bags.

If you need to know the EXACT measurement let me know....

Briggsy
noseykate

Re: Bilge Pump Mounting

Post by noseykate »

I velcro mine to the center of the floor. Plenty of room there, and it doesn't get in the way of entering/exiting. Velcro lasts for a season, then sometimes loses the grip on the hull. Pretty cheap to replace though.