Doug

Free 3 part trip leader workshop.

Post by Doug »

Hello All. here is a free trip leader workshop you might be interested in:
3 Part Trip Leader Workshop
@ Mass Audubon’s South Shore Sanctuaries
2000 Main Street Marshfield
Wednesday nights May 17, 24 & June 7, 7:00-8:30 PM
(This workshop is free with preregistration required and a commitment from participants to attend all three sessions.)

This workshop, hosted by Mass Audubon, is designed to offer the skills required to lead successful trips for trip leaders from organizations that host events that take participants into the field. Whether your plans will take your group on a two hour interpretive walk or a multi-day foray, we will cover the key aspects of designing and implementing trips with solid outcomes.

We will cover briefing participants, setting the tone, leadership styles and tools, risk management, communication, conflict management, team-building, debriefing, and steps and strategies to determine where your current skills are and what additional skills will help you move towards a more effective trip leader. Though we won’t specifically cover the unique challenges that boating and paddling trips contain, there will be plenty of management skills covered that are directly applicable to all styles of events.

This workshop will be hands-on and include active participation in discussions, activities and scenarios. No matter what your current experience is as a trip leader: beginner or seasoned veteran, there will be benefits from a commitment to this workshop.
We will split our time both indoors and out, so participants should come to each session prepared to spend time outside regardless of the weather.

Workshop leader, Doug Lowry has close to forty years of experience leading trips and expeditions for organizations including the Farm and Wilderness Foundation, The Natural Resources Trust of Easton, Mass Audubon, The North and South Rivers Watershed Association, The Marshfield Recreation Department and The National Outdoor Leadership School. Clients have included The Natural Resources Defense Council, The Bureau of Land Management, The National Parks Service, The Naval Academy and NASA. He is a Master Educator for The Leave No Trace program.

Here is the link

http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors ... code=53380
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
Johnysmoke

Re: Free 3 part trip leader workshop.

Post by Johnysmoke »

Just a thought, but maybe consider posting this on nspn.org, seems they've been thinking about leadership a lot as well.
Doug

Post by Doug »

All right! We have a couple of Wild Turkeys on board, it would be great to enlist a couple more. Knowing there are Wild Turkeys joining us, I will expand the inclusion of kayak specific topics. We will review and debrief a couple of real life scenarios, introduce a few decision making tools that will help with on water risk management. We will also discuss ways to recognize and define skill levels of participants and ways to reduce stress in situations that push comfort levels on the water.
Ken R
antispam: No

Post by Ken R »

Kit and I have both signed up. We are both looing forward to it.
KR
Doug

Post by Doug »

It was great to have four of the eight participants in last night's first session of this series associated with the Wild Turkeys. Others are welcome to next wednesday night's session. We will focus on understanding who your trip participants are, how to successfully manage groups, how to manage conflict and facilitate inclusive decision making. We will include an activity that will help you identify your "go to" leadership style and explore ways to increase your effectiveness as a leader and member of a leadership team.

We meet at the Mass Audubon South Shore Sanctuaries North River office at 2000 Main Street in Marshfield. We start at 7:00 and plan to finish up around 9:00. Remember... this is a FREE workshop.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I'd like to join in for just the 5/24 session. My usual Wednesday evening Zen group is canceled for that evening and I am free to participate! Looking forward to it.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Sorry I missed this. I ran into a former co worker from REI, Dick. He let me know about it. Sounds great
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Also wish I could get down for these but unfortunately my "schedule" isn't going to cooperate.
Great to have Doug around to share his experience and expertise.
Doug

Post by Doug »

It will be great to have your input Kate!