Questionnaire

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

noseykate

Questionnaire

Post by noseykate »

I notice there are very few weekend trips being posted. I assume people are arranging private trips. I hope so, anyway - otherwise no one is kayaking anymore. I think of posting trips but I'm not sure what sort is likely to generate interest. What sort of trips would you be interested in? Could you weigh in on:

Location - South Shore, North Shore, South Coast, Cape, Maine - where do you want to kayak?

Conditions - flat water? current? rock play? surf? swell up to 3'?

Distance/speed - are you the sort to dawdle along talking, take a long lunch, and log in 5 miles? Or do you like to hit it hard and fast, 10 or more miles at a fast pace? Something in between?

Time/Day - is Saturday or Sunday preferable? Morning person, ready to go early, or can't get moving before 10? How much notice ahead of time do you need, to sign on to a trip? Interested in kayak camping beyond Massachusetts?

Anything else that affects your trip choices? Any place you've been hankering to get to? If you've been doing private trips, what would entice you to join a group trip?

Curiously,
Kate
norm

Re: Questionnaire

Post by norm »

Kate,

I should be back in the kayaking mix this year after being sidelined by injury most of last year. I like trips in the 10 - 18 mile range with a little swell and current but nothing too crazy till I get my sea legs/arms back. I like paddling everywhere but don't want Cape trips on weekends. I might be willing to do a great trip on a weekday, but work is very busy this summer, so that might not be very feasible for me till September. I'm not very interested in rock play or surfing right now. I like groups that move along at a decent speed (3+mph) and do not dawdle too much. A nice stop or two for lunch, snacks or stretching is good. Saturdays and Sundays are good for me and I like to start early. Camping would be nice. Short notice is fine with me as then you have a better gauge on what the weather will be. Free brownies would entice me to join a group trip.

Norm
Tortoise
antispam: No

Post by Tortoise »

Hi Everyone
I would love to do a Saturday or Sunday outing. I often go away on weekend but if I knew something was going on early in the week I could make plans. I understand weather could change things. I can be available super early or whenever the tides dictate. I've paddled 12 miles at a reasonable pace I'm not super fast but I'm steady. I like lake or ocean kayaking but I'm not into white water waves crashing about :) Doesn't have to be flat water I enjoy the Thursday night trips and I've paddled with a Maine group up in Georgetown Maine on open water. The joy of being on the ocean is enticement enough :)
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

sorry I forgot to mention I need a little advanced notice as I work and am not able to get out really early to meet . If I knew a day or so ahead of time I could arrange something.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Thank you for posting, Kate! As you know I am not always here on the South Shore in the summer, but I would love to be part of any Wild a Turkey activity when I am around. A couple of days notice is always nice. I've come to realize that any type of kayaking that requires a helmet is not my thing, so white water and rock play is not of interest for me. I agree with Norm when it comes to weekend paddles on the Cape. I've been stuck in Cape traffic too many times, so I prefer off-Cape paddles on the weekends in the summer. It would be fun to do a skill session during the day sometimes. I find I am often mentally tired when we do rescues and rolls at Hanson at night...
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

My take-away here is that there are 3 people interested in doing weekend trips that are posted on this board. Is WTP a Thursday-night-only group? Or maybe a private-trip-only group? I ask so as not to waste time/effort on putting together trips and posting, if no one is likely to be interested. Fine by me if WTP as a whole wants to go that route, just trying to scope it out here in a transparent way and support the club in the way it wants to be supported. Your observations and comments about the future direction of the club welcomed.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Kate,
Sorry I never got a chance to reply to the original post. I LOVE all types of paddles, 5 milers with a stop at the beach to 35 mile trips to get an ice cream on Cutty Hunk. My schedule is very busy. I am as likely to be available on weekdays as I am on weekends. I'll be posting a New Port trip this fall. It will follow the multi level plan that I've posted in past years.
KR
twotrout

Post by twotrout »

Hi Kate
Location - South Shore, North Shore, South Coast, Cape, Maine - Any would satisfy.
Conditions - flat water, current, surf, swell. Have not experienced rock play yet.
Distance/speed - Generally prefer to hit it hard and fast, 10 or more miles at a fast pace. But I can tone it down and dawdle along talking, take a long lunch, and log in 5 miles when it suits the group.
Time/Day - Sunday preferable for shorter notice trips. Yes, morning person, ready to go early. If the trip falls on a day off, maybe a day advance notice. If the trip falls on a work day, would need a couple of weeks to change work schedule.
Interested in kayak camping beyond Massachusetts- yes
Any place you've been hankering to get to- Cuttyhunk, Block Island, Lake Champlain, Sakonet River.

Diane
Rclarke

Post by Rclarke »

Hi Kate
Sorry for the late response. I'm out every weekend and sometimes during the week too.
Location- Good w/ all: South Shore, North Shore, South Coast, Cape, Maine- Exception w/ the Cape-prefer weekday or early Saturday to avoid the dreaded traffic. Jamestown, Rhode Island also very nice.
Conditions- I'm fine with any conditions. I enjoy rough water but will paddle calm too.
Distance/speed- I prefer a good speed and a group w/ similar cadence style. Love miles and can go hard or a comfortable pace of 3 to 4 mph. Prefer 12 to 18 mile paddles but can definitely do more or just a bit less too.
Time/Day - Prefer Sunday's over Saturday but if we're back by 3/4ish I'm good. early riser and like to get out early in front of the power boaters sot he only challenge is on the return.

Primary trips are Boston Harbor Islands- Favorite launch spot: Windmill Point aka Pemberton to Calf Island Brewster's and Boston light on the return. Good alternative Hull launch James Ave. Other launches I frequent-Hingham, Quincy, Pleasure Bay or Malibu Beach Dorchester. The Harbor Islands always look different hitting them from different angles or alternate circum. navs.
Camping I consider carefully.