Bumpkin Island Trip Report

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

getnoutside

Bumpkin Island Trip Report

Post by getnoutside »

Joyce Cady just sent me a trip report for a paddle she did on Wednesday. A good example of how knowing recovery techniques can turn a capsizing into a non-event.

http://www.get-outside.com/joyce5.htm
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Hey Steve,

I think she may have tipped him over purposely just so she could pump him out :lol: .

There never seems to be a dull moment when she goes paddlin'
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I sort of skimmed over the part at the top where it said that it was Steve "Hitchcock", and I read through it thinking Steve was YOU.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

pat wrote:I sort of skimmed over the part at the top where it said that it was Steve "Hitchcock", and I read through it thinking Steve was YOU.

Come on Pat, at the point he capsized you should have known it wasn't me :D (this coming from the guy who couldn't get out of his boat on a landing the other day.)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

The part that seemed strange to me was that you'd go out without your skirt properly in place. You seem to me like a guy who's always properly prepared and that was out of character.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am going to have to look into those ready to use grills. If Joyce can get one in her Surge then I can fit one in my Storm.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

What is a ready to use grill, anyway?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I might be mistaken, but perhaps propane, vs. charcoal. Propane is much easier to transport and get started, and it's much easier cleanup. Charcoal proponents will turn their nose up at propane, but you've got to make concessions when you're camping from a kayak.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

get'n-outside wrote:What is a ready to use grill, anyway?

I think it is a small charcoal grill made from a foil pan and cheap grate. All in one piece. Charcoal included. Looks like a rectangular jiffy pop container. I have seen them at stop and shop. Single use only, i believe.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I have the Coleman Roadtrip Party Grill. The legs detach and everything fits in a nylon bag. I've never tried, but it may fit in my largest hatch.

Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Did anyone ever think of just bringing a grate and cooking over the hot coals of the fire? :?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Birdseye wrote:Did anyone ever think of just bringing a grate and cooking over the hot coals of the fire? :?

What are we.... cavemen??!!!! I suppose I should leave my battery-operated grinder/espresso-maker home, too?? (believe it or not, I saw one in REI the other day) :D
Chip

Post by Chip »

Birdseye wrote:Did anyone ever think of just bringing a grate and cooking over the hot coals of the fire? :?

That's how Pat and I usually cook our sausages/kielbasa/steak tips. I have one of those fold over cooking basket thingys. Sausages fit in it nicely. Fires coals work well.
Who's bringing the duraflame? :lol:
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Just for kicks, I tested the fit of my grill in my back hatch, this morning. It fits with room to spare.
Chip

Post by Chip »

We just added a whole new element to our paddling trips. Woohoo!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

It's a known fact that people with more body fat will last longer in cold ocean water and resist hypothermia over people in good shape with less body fat. With that in mind, we should bring plenty of sausages.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

pat wrote:It's a known fact that people with more body fat will last longer in cold ocean water and resist hypothermia over people in good shape with less body fat. With that in mind, we should bring plenty of sausages.

I'll be sure to let all of your families know how much you love them when I am the last one bobbing. :lol:
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pat,

You are starting to sound like that dog food comercial with the dog that keeps saying Snasages (sp?).
Image P&H Cetus HV