Radar reflector

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Radar reflector

Post by pat »

There are times when we're out in areas that are frequented by power boats when I feel very small. I do have to say that it's been my experience that power boats have always tried to be considerate when passing us. The bigger the boat, the more considerate they are.

But some times, I swear they're trying to screw with your head. When they're still a good distance away, they'll take dead aim at you for a while before turning off to the direction they really want to go. I pack clean underwear in my drybag for these occasions.

I've heard that a Radar Reflector can be a useful thing when out in open waters. (For anyone who hasn't seen one, it's spherical, about a foot in diameter.) Since I'm not all that familiar with power boats, I was wondering... Does every boat utilize radar? Or is it sort of a ritzy add-on toy that only the techies or serious boaters would have?

I'm wondering if it's sort of like a Catch-22. The serious boaters who have radar (and watch it) are probably attentive anyways and not that much of a threat to us. But the drunk weekend maniacs who aren't paying attention anyways might not have bothered with the radar to begin with.

I saw one of these reflectors at a marine supply shop in Plymouth for fairly cheap ($15?), but it looked really kludgey, like something I'd build. It was just cardboard with something that looked like gold-painted tin foil on one side.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Pat,

I'm no expert, but I have heard that unless the radar reflector is well above the surface of the water (like on a mast), it isn't very useful. Obviously, this is tough to do in a kayak.
chpaton

Radar reflectors generally useless at sea level

Post by chpaton »

Pat:

What Steve said!

The other thing is probably most power boats under 30 feet don't have radar and if they do probably don't use it unless visibility is resticted by weather conditions (and if visibility is bad enough for them to be using radar, you shouldn't be in the same vicinity!)

You need to practice defensive paddling - when in doubt get the "f" out of the way! It's a heck of a lot easier for you to see the pleasure boaters than it is for them to see you - particularly if they are coming straight at you.

In addition to having a brightly colored yak (e.g. yellow, orange), bright colored paddle blades with reflective tape would be your most effective way of increasing your visibility to other boaters.

BTW - what I said about pleasure boat traffic goes double for commercial traffic. In addition to it being difficult for them to see you, they are on a schedule, and if you happen to be in their way -- too bad for you!
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango