Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Good Article on the Sweep Stroke from Paddling.Net

Post by Birdseye »

P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

I have looked at this website for a number of good articles. The supportive sweep stroke enforces the idea that each stroke is not only propulsive but supportive. Leaning in every stroke shortens the amount of boat in contact with the water, that cuts back on friction and therefore you get more out of the stroke.

What I learned from Doug Lowry and Roger Crawford was the first 2/3rds of the forward stroke, from entry point to about hip distance is propulsive, the last 1/3rd, from the hip to where you pull it out is directional (steering). Also the wider you sweep, the more complete the turn.

I have seen some people lean on every stroke. That may be excessive, but it may work. The supportive sweep stroke also emphasizes the idea of using your foot paddle to strenghten your stroke.

I like this website.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Leaning in every stroke shortens the amount of boat in contact with the water, that cuts back on friction and therefore you get more out of the stroke.

This is not necessarily true. It depends on the design and shape of your boat. If your boat is shaped such that the Length at the Waterline is shortened when you lean, than you may be getting less out of your stroke.

All things being equal, a longer boat is faster than a shorter boat:

Hull Speed = 1.34 * (LWL)1/2

Therefore if you are shortening the length of your boat at the waterline by leaning, the result is a slower boat.
Chip

Post by Chip »

You probably take away from the tracking too. If I lean and stroke, I turn. Obviously, I have not perfected any stroke so it could be all me.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I was actually playing around with this on my way back from the Spit the last time we were out there. My boat wasn't tracking as well as I would have liked it too in the river but I didn't want to put the skeg down. I started leaning a little with each stroke and cause my boat to move in a slight zig zag but stayed basically on course. This wasn't the most comfortable way to paddle but I guess it was better then constantly making corrective strokes.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Okay, here's another hypothesis.

When you lean, you are "changing" the shape of your keel from straight to curved. You are using the curved gunwhale(?) chine(?) instead of your bottom keel. That is why you turn easier.

But then, the curved length of your boat in contact with the water would be longer than the straight keel.

Steve says
All things being equal, a longer boat is faster than a shorter boat

Ergo, a longer curved keel is faster than a shorter staight keel.

But that doesn't take in account lost centripital forces, does it?
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Ergo, a longer curved keel is faster than a shorter staight keel.

This is refered to as a boats rocker. In general, the boat with the flatter rocker is going to be faster. A 2x4 is going move through the water more efficiently than a car tire.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

A different way of looking at it is that if you take a straight skeg and make it curved, you're shorthen it's Length at the Waterline
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Todd wrote:When you lean, you are "changing" the shape of your keel from straight to curved. You are using the curved gunwhale(?) chine(?) instead of your bottom keel. That is why you turn easier.

The thing is, tho, the curve is going the opposite direction from the turn.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com