Kayak roof rack

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

lokifrey

Kayak roof rack

Post by lokifrey »

I own a 2000 rx300 lexus. It has a rear window spoiler. It also doesn't have long axis roof bars. In the past I've bought thule feet and used their cross bar. Is there any system I can use that uses the cars horizontal racks?

Also because of the rear window spoiler, I can't push the kayak up the back window and onto the rack. Someone suggested overhang the rack over the side of the car and rest the kayak on the forward bar and lift the back of the kayak onto the rear rack support.

Does this work? I would prefer not to have to support the kayak over my head and lean over and place the kayak on the rack. Scratch the car and twist my back.

We had a camry wagon that worked great. Unfortunately it died and needed 3500 in repairs. This really isn't the right car for this task.

Can anybody recommend a rack store close to Westwood. The one on route one in norwood went out of business. I would like to go to a store that handles yakima and thule .

I am new to this board and don't know if this has b een recently covered.

Thanks
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Have you checked out Decathalon in Norwood? While not close to Westwood, Racksmith in Hanover specializes in nothing but racks. I would give them a call and see what they recommend.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

You could take the spoiler off the rear window. It may not look as cool but it would solve your problem.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
chpaton

Post by chpaton »

I've had good experience with Racksmith in Hanover too.

Regarding your rear spoiler - if it will bear any weight, you might be able to find some rollers designed to clamp on that will aid you in pushing your boat up over the back. I know I've seen them somewhere but can't remember exactly where. You might want to try your query at paddling.net.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Todd

Post by Todd »

RackSmith in Hanover is closed. REI and EMS have Thule and Yakima(?), and they will have catalogs with the specs for your car model so you can what will fit.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Chip

Post by Chip »

There is an EMS in Canton.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Chip

Post by Chip »

By horizontal racks, do you mean factory crossbars? My CRV has factory racks. They are flat/oval shaped crossbars. Yakima and I am sure Thule have adapters for most factory racks.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
lokifrey

Post by lokifrey »

Thanks for the advice.

I saw some J rack add ons that will work. I can add these directly to my roof rack. However, it is definitely lift the kayak overhead and place on the rack. I do miss the towel on back of the station wagon and slide up onto the rack. Also, if cars are parked closely on the side it will be harder to get the kayak on the rack.

I wonder if a one or two step ladder would make it easier to get it up and down.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

lokifrey wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I saw some J rack add ons that will work. I can add these directly to my roof rack. However, it is definitely lift the kayak overhead and place on the rack. I do miss the towel on back of the station wagon and slide up onto the rack. Also, if cars are parked closely on the side it will be harder to get the kayak on the rack.

I've considered the J-rack option, but I've got a minivan, so I'm already starting with a pretty high setup.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
bhotrum

Use J cradles from Thule with straps - bombproof to 80 miles

Post by bhotrum »

I have a 2001 Aztek that sits high up and opted for the J cradled Hull-a-Port system by Thule. It mounts nicely to factory bars and is very sturdy, make sure to tie down and front and back also. It takes 5 minutes to unload and rack up when kayaking and the tension cam straps are excellent. Paid about 200 total for the two J cradles, straps etc. but have used it over 100 times with no problems. The nice thing about J cradle is they allow higher speeds on highways etc...no problems at 80 miles an hour.

If you need a pic of the system as I have it mounted on my Tek I will email it to you - send address.
Image Impex Assateague F/G