Corporation road beach East Dennis

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

lokifrey

Corporation road beach East Dennis

Post by lokifrey »

This is a good place to put in. The parking is right at the beach and the tide does not go out very far at low tide. I have spoken to the lifeguards and they are fine with put ins if you stay left next to the jetty. East to Sesuit harbor . There is a beach inside the harbor and a snack shack at the marina.
West to Chapin beach and Barnstable Harbor. I haven't done the harbor. They don't want you in the mayflower beach swimming area. the best beaching area is west of chapin beach on the off road area before Barnstable harbor. North side beaches during the summer have very little wind and waves. Usually light offshore. Northerlies start in September and that changes the feel. Lower Temperature and chop.

You need to have a beach pass or pay for the day.
You don't need to be a resident.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Do you know what the fee is for the day there?

BTW - are you familiar with other spots down on the cape? Way out on the southeastern edge, there is an extremely interesting looking area of protected water. I'd love to check it out, but it's a hell of a hike for off-cape people.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
lokifrey

Post by lokifrey »

I think it is ten dollars per day. I am a resident and buy a pass.

I think you are talking about pleasant bay. This is a very nice area. I taught sailing there many years ago. Pleasant bay area has little tidal action and is clean water. They do have a season with the horseflies. It is over usually by the end of July. August is a great time to go there. I haven't been back but if I remember there is a put in on 28 at the Chatham Orleans border. I can't guarantee that. I just used our dock. South of Pleasant bay is Chatham Harbor. Chatham harbor has currents . I would want to do chatham harbor with the current. Also southern chatham harbor can be busy with boat action. there is not a lot of motor boat activity in the pleasant bay area.
Lori

Pleasant Bay is worth the drive

Post by Lori »

I live in Walpole and often paddle Pleasant Bay. It takes about an hour and 45 minutes for me to get there but it's one of my most favorite places to paddle. Tides will indeed play a factor if you are not familiar with the layout of the bay, since it's possible to get caught in the shallower sections. Southerly winds can also be an issue and kick up some chop. If that's the case, you can simply paddle Little Pleasant Bay or the River. There are so many choices in this beautiful area. There are several put -ins which cost nothing! (Meeting House Pond at Barley Neck Rd. , Paw Wah Pond at Portanimicut Rd and several more on route 28). The greenheads only bother me when I land on one of the several islands or explore close to marshy areas. There are also more put-ins (free), at the southern most part of the bay in Chatham. Currents are stronger here but it's also a chance to practice ferry angles or peel outs. Seals often are in this spot! Careful of the fishing boats entering/exiting the fish pier.
I'll also drive to paddle Monomoy but will stay overnight when paddling Wellfleet Harbor to Jeremy point. Both are very nice with free spaces to park! I am a teacher and don't work during the summer, therefore I can travel on weekdays when getting on/off the Cape isn't such a hassle. If anyone is available on weekdays, I'd be happy to paddle with you.

Lori
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Lori,
Have you already paddled Monomoy? If so, how was it? I've heard it is a great paddle but can be treaterous on the seaward side of the islands. Something about a very strong current.

If you've been there please give us some details of your trips.

Thanks,
Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Lori

Been there, did that.

Post by Lori »

Nelson,

I paddled Monomoy last month with the AMC group. Even though I use my charts, the area tends to change each passing year. It's always beneficial to go with a group to this area. July and August present more boat traffic (both recreational and commercial) and morning fog is something to deal with when planning this trip. Last year, I attempted to paddle Monomoy 5 times. Four of those times we altered paddling plans due primarily to high winds or fog. If I knew how to insert pictures I would share a photo from my October attempt which shows the high winds out there.
The shoals seem to go on forever. I use a 230cm paddle which is hard when paddling in shallow water. Last month, the water was calm. There is usually some chop to deal with. I've never made it out to South Monomoy Island...yet! You are correct about the challenging currents there. There were rumors going around about the seals moving further south. This is not true. They are still found between North & South Monomoy. Overall, it's a nice paddle but I'm content just doing it once or twice a year.

Lori[/url]