Thursday Night Practice Session in Hanson

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Thursday Night Practice Session in Hanson

Post by Birdseye »

Hello All,

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to the Thursday night practice session in Hanson this week. I talked to Steven and he may be onboard also.

Any others interested? Todd???

Nelson
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I think Sue and I are both going to go.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Lori

Post by Lori »

I'll be going there with a few people I usually paddle with. (Plus my own two kids). Mark Stephens won't be there but Jordan Jacobs will and is a great resource with alot of patience.

I look forward to matching some names with faces,

Lori
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I haven't been before. What time should we get there, and what should we bring?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

It starts around 6pm Pat. Just bring your boat and gear.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I've just learned that I have to be at a 4:00 meeting in Newton on thursday (naturally, scheduled by someone who usually doesn't come into work until 11:00 and has not stopped to consider that the rest of us who are able to get ourselves in here by 8:00 aren't thrilled about putting in a 12 hour day just to accomodate their nocturnal habits.. :evil: )

Anyway, I doubt that I'll be able to make the session this week.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Birdseye wrote:It starts around 6pm Pat. Just bring your boat and gear.

Can I assume that gear means nothing more than pfd, skirt, paddle float and pump?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Yep! And don't forget your paddle. :wink:

Sue might want to bring her wetsuit.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Sorry Birdseye, I'm still in Montana on Thursday. Today was quiet, checking email and such, and couldn't be away to long from the WT. I will be home this weekend, and will look forward to going to Hanson next Thursday.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Ding-dong, the Dodge is dead.

When I came out of the hardware store, my car wouldn't start. Two hours later, my car is now at the garage and I just got home.

So I won't be there tonight...
:(
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Did anyone make it? I am curious to see how it went.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I went.

Jordan, the resident rolling expert, had his hands full with the 3 women that showed up (Lori, Jan and I can't remember the other one...sorry)

I got a few pointers and practiced braces, hip snaps and some sculling maneuvers. I also tried another roll unsuccessfully. I'll definitely need a bit of hands on before I get that down.

I did get myself back in my boat without the aid of the paddle or float on my first try and in less than a minute. That was fairly rewarding.

I finished the night with a brisk paddle down the pond, around the island and back. What a workout.

I'm going to try and make a few more sessions before the summer's over. I hope I can get some of you to join me.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Anyone interested in going to the practice session this week Aug 11th?

I'm not 100% definite yet but should be able to go.

Who's up for it?
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'm hoping to go.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Me too.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

I'll try too.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm going to try also.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

So are there any definites for Hanson tonight?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I'm assuming that everyone who said that they're hoping to go are "definites". No one is <i>really</i> a definite until they pull up to the pond in Hanson. I was absolutely positively <i>definitely</i> going to be there last Thursday until my car wouldn't start.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I'm assuming that everyone who said that they're hoping to go are "definites".

Well you know what they say Pat.... you should never assume! :)
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Well, that's what Felix Unger says, and I assume he's right!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'm definately hoping to go.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

<a href="http://kayaking.pidgeoncoop.com/assume.wav">"Listen"</a>
Chip

Post by Chip »

I am not going even though I was hoping to.
bhotrum

Re-Enter and Roll Progression to Full Rolling - 3hrs

Post by bhotrum »

hey all. anyone looking to bombproof their roll, from a point that they cannot do a roll period can do the following - in 3 hrs you will be able to roll probably 85% of the time regardless of conditions, and i'm talking huge waves and surf.

Here's how to do it in 5 fast steps.

1. Before getting into the water, inflate your paddlefloat and secure it to your strong side paddle, then get into the water.
2. Facing upwind, make sure your keel is in front of you or the waves as they break, it helps in really big waves to point your bow into them.
3. Place your right (for me rt is strong) hand on top of your keel and stick your right leg into the cockpit (the boat is already upside down.)
4. Take a good breath of air and while keeping your hand and paddle on top of the keel (your elbow joint and arm should hold snug the keel) dink your head into the soup and pull the right side of the cockpit coaming under your butt with your left hand (not your right - this crossover is critical). Come up for air again.
5. Final step...Dink your head, relax and curl your body up to the keel. At this point, instinct will take over, hip snap away and pull up on paddlefloat. You're up !!! (the paddlefloat I have will provide enough buoyancy to push against even with one chamber full - its a Northwest double bladder).

This is so easy when done, you will wonder why you are not rolling. When you can do 10 of these in a row without fail, you can then skip the paddlefloat and attempt your first roll....the key in this variation is to take a grip of the right side paddle with your hand in mitt fashion and sweep the paddle on the left side out to about 75-80 degrees, hip snap and UP, head back last....Keep in mind you are rolling up a boat filled with 8 gallons of water, maybe more !!!

I would say if you can do 10 rolls out of 15 , then that is all you need, the rest is just technique practice and learning to hold your breath and exhale through the nostrils while setting up. After that...its Miller Time !!!

P.S. Some showoffs wet exit, attach the sprayskirt to the coaming under water, then get in and have a fairly dry cockpit. Seen it done a few times, the key is a really good sprayskirt like Gul's North National neoprene. (GK27)

I hope everyone can benefit from my 2 cents. ( or should I say 1.4 cents American.)

Canadian visitor
Image Impex Assateague F/G
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Just a reminder for those folks who wanted to go to the Thursday night skills session in Hanson.

Unfortunately I have an appointment to go to and won't be able to make it but I hope to make it next Thursday.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

On Sunday, Sue and I worked on our rescue skills a little. Sue did wet exits over and over until she felt comfortable at it and then did a successful self-rescue.

I did the ever-popular half-roll and managed to right myself by grabbing Sue's bow and pulling myself upright. What's that officially called again?

Then I tried leaning over as far as I could with the help of bracing and practiced hip snaps to right myself. I kept leaning further and further until I went just that little bit to far and didn't have enough bracing to get myself back upright. I thought it was all over and I'd have to do a wet exit, and suddenly my paddle hit bottom, and I was able to simply push myself back up.

Cool! A new way to practice hip snaps. Just make sure you're only 4-5 feet deep and jam your paddle into the bottom.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote: and managed to right myself by grabbing Sue's bow and pulling myself upright. What's that officially called again?

A Bow Rescue
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Anyone going this week? I'm pretty sure I'll be there.

:)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Up to my eyeballs with work (don't know why I bother going on vaca). I'll have to see what the week brings.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

So will I be seeing any of you in Hanson tonight??
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Sorry - I can't make it tonight.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I am doing some volunteer work for the Jones River Landing and was meeting with the Executive Director last night... hence, the reason I was a no show.

However, of note is that I learned that the JRL has worked out an arrangement with Doug Gray to sell his kayaks. If you are not familiar with the JRL, you may want to consider getting to know them. Among other things, one of their main goals is to focus on the ecology of Cape Cod Bay, including Duxbury Bay, Kingston Bay, and the Jones River. If you are looking to buy a kayak, you might consider doing so through the JRL. You would be support Billington Sea Kayak (a very reputable seller of kayaks and gear in our area, and a great supporter of the sport), and The Jones River Landing (an organization that is taking the lead in maintaining the health of, and in some cases, cleaning up the waters that many of us enjoy paddling).

For more info on Jones River Landing : http://www.jonesriver.org/