Photo Album software

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Photo Album software

Post by pat »

As some of you know, I have an account on PBase that I use to display galleries of <a href="http://www.pbase.com/enchant/kayak_trips">my images</a>. The yearly subscription is $23 a year. I know that there are free services available, but they surround your images with all sorts of annoying advertising, which I absolutely hate.

The yearly subscription has just come up, so I did some looking around. For another two bucks ($25), I purchased a software package that will work on my server and do pretty much the same thing. It's not <i>quite</i> as robust and has fewer capabilities, but the space available for my photos is limited to the disk space on my server (currently 60Gb available), and I won't have to pay any more money. Another thing is that once I spend some time looking into it, I'll be able to configure it to look like the WTP website.

Also, on future trips, I'll be able to accept photo collections from the rest of you. You simply zip up your originals into a file, I submit it to the program, and it creates thumbnails and "normal-sized" images automatically.

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi">I uploaded a test gallery of three images</a>
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Very cool! I like it.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Pat,

Can you tell me how this works? GetOutside and Birdseye have demonstrated a couple of things to me but I don't quite understand it. I would like to post some of my pictures, especially with my new camera, but Webshots is parasitic and caused some problems at work and Earthlink has webspace but I haven't persued it yet.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Persue the Earthlink Web Space. Then we can help you better.
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Todd wrote:Pat,

Webshots is parasitic and caused some problems at work.

Todd, can you elaborate on this? You've got me paranoid, now.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Todd wrote:Can you tell me how this works? GetOutside and Birdseye have demonstrated a couple of things to me but I don't quite understand it.

I'm not sure at what level you'd like an explanation. The bottom line is that if a bunch of WTs go on a trip and someone has a handful of photos of that trip, they just have to put them into a zip file and email it to me.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

get'n-outside wrote:
Todd wrote:Pat,

Webshots is parasitic and caused some problems at work.

Todd, can you elaborate on this? You've got me paranoid, now.

Steve,
Just my .02. Saturday Craig was saying that everytime he goes to Webshots they try to install something on his computer. He knows this because he uses SpyBot anti spyware software (which in my opinion is a pretty good product if you use McAfee as your virus protection) and he says whenever he goes to Webshots, Spybot tells him that they are trying to make a change to his registry.

I haven't experienced that problem with Webshots but I generally us Netscape as my browser and that may have something to do with it.

If you have current virus protection that looks for spyware you are probably ok but these days it's hard to keep everything out.

I don't think I'd be too worried (mabye just a little)
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Thanks Nelson. Unfortunately, there are few sites you can go to these days that don't try to upload something to your PC. I do have virus and spyware protection for this reason.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Sorry to scare you Pat and Steve,

I too have protection, Corporate Symantec Product, Adaware, Spybot, GFI Mail Essentials, run Trend Micro regularly, Used Microsofts Beta Spyware product, once had a Sonic Wall Firewall that thought WTPaddlers had weapon references so blocked it. But as Birdseye says, you can't stop everything.

Like Craig, after installing Webshots and declining all promotional ads I got alot of Popups. My computer is on the internet all day logging into customer's servers and my boss often sits with me so it has to look and act clean. Webshots is a good product but bothers my boss, so I had to tell you also.

I just wanted to understand the big picture of Pat's situation. And I just wanted to be able to post some pictures of my own without having to rely on Pat to do it. Birdseye has the best recomendation, persuing my Earthlink Webspace option, especially with the new camera.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
chpaton

Webshots

Post by chpaton »

Nelson:

I noted your reference to Netscape regarding Webshots and it caused me to think. I recently installed Firefox on both my work and home computers as an alternative browser. I don't recall getting any messages from Spybot when I access Webshots via Firefox.

BTW, I don't think the messages were warnings of registry edits, but rather that one of the Spybot recognized data mining, Ad generating apps was trying to load.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango