Is anyone kayaking this weekend??

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Is anyone kayaking this weekend??

Post by Birdseye »

Evening tides this weekend. I might be up for something on Sunday evening or early Monday (I'm off).

A Scituate or Cohassett Harbor paddle maybe (no not Minot's Light)??

:?:
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I'll be rowing/sailing the Damariscotta River all next week. Great kayaking... come on up :D
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Unfortunately some of us have to work... er... I mean sit in front of our compters for a living :roll:
chpaton

This Weekend

Post by chpaton »

Saturday is definitely out for me this weekend as family commitments will take precedence. Sunday afternoon maybe a possibility but I'll have to firm up the timetables for the activities I'm already committed to before I can give a definite yes. I'll know more possibly Friday - Saturday for sure.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
chpaton

Bird Island Challenge

Post by chpaton »

I was just reminded that the Bird Is. Challenge race is this weekend. Wareham to Bird Is and back.

I'm not sure of all the details, but I'm mentioning it more for the possibility of going and spectating via kayak rather than entering and racing.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

When is it exactly? My Saturday afternoon is taken and Sunday up until about 4 or so.

I could only do a short paddle in the evening or pretty much anytime on Monday if your feeling sick that day.
chpaton

Bird Island Challenge

Post by chpaton »

The race is early Sunday morning. The announced starting time is 8 AM and the awards ceremony is scheduled for 12. Launch is at Besse Park. Sounds like a tough fit for our schedules.

At the moment Sunday PM looks like my best opportunity to get out as well. However, that could still be preempted by the Grandson. I should know more by tomorrow.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

We can play it by ear. High tide is around 6:50 on Sunday evening and I probably couldn't be anywhere until around 5:30 or 6:00.

I'll send you my phone number through PM.
Dave

This weekend

Post by Dave »

I'll keep an eye here, see if you guys are going out Sunday PM, Allison and I have a very quiet weekend ahead of us, we're may try to squeeze a few hours on the water in at some point.
chpaton

Sunday

Post by chpaton »

Things are still iffy on my end.

Saturday will be spent in New Bedford for a memorial service and family get together. Another of my wife's male cousins succumbed to cancer earlier this week bringing the total to 3 in the last year - one each early 40's, 50's and 60's.

Paddling on Sunday will depend on how much energy I have after I get the yard chores done and what the weather has in store.
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Dave

Sunday

Post by Dave »

Sorry for your loss Craig. I hope everyone in your family is doing alright, it is a hard thing to live through.

We'll see what happens on Sunday when it comes. Hang in there.

Dave
chpaton

T-Storms - Yuck

Post by chpaton »

Well, the T-Storms and torrential rains Sunday PM put the final coffin nail in any paddling I might have attempted.

Did anybody venture out?
Craig
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Dave

Nope

Post by Dave »

It was pretty bad out, I stayed in and did laundry for the week.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

We arrived home from camp during the absolute worst of it. We had the kayaks strapped to the roof, so we couldn't pull into the garage. I pulled as close as I dared and hit the garage door opener. Nothing. Our power was gone. Sue, trooper that she is, took one for the team and scampered up the front walk in the deluge to go through the front door, went down through the cellar with a flashlight, and manually open the garage door (much like our forefathers probably did).

As she got the door completely up, the power came back on. After looking at the clocks upstairs, the power had been off for ONE MINUTE. Do we have our timing down, or what??
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

It didn't rain at camp until after midnight. Weymouth got it bad though. We lost power. We never lose power. We are on the same grid as South Shore Hospital. Many of our kids toys including full sandbox and large bin floated into the neighbors yard. Never seen anything like in 18 years there.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
colonialsinger

Post by colonialsinger »

Well, I arrived at my sister's Marshfield cottage at about 5 p.m. Sunday to catch a paddle on the high tide. Instead caught lots of rain, and CLOSE lightning and thunder. We decided since the power was out we'd drive to Scituate for a quick meal, then put in at the Harbor. Good idea, but we came out of the sub shop and found that once the rain had stopped the fog rolled in. It was getting dusky by this point, so we headed back to her cottage. No fog at Macomber's Creek so we put in for a quick trip out towards the mouth of North River. It was magical. There was still enough ambient light to dimly illuminate the water, which was like glass. Small fish kept breaking the surface right in front of our boats as we surged along, trying to make it all the way to the mouth of the river before turning back. It became too dark too soon and we had to turn back. We had some fun and games trying to find our spot to get out of the river in the dark. A short paddle, but we agreed we'd choose quality over quantity any day.
Image I paddle a Mainstream Streak in salt water.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Conditions right after a storm can be amazing.

Where does your sister live?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Our Duxbury Back River trip was much the same. The post storm sky was amazing and the water was glass.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire