What is "spinning" a paddle?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

What is "spinning" a paddle?

Post by pat »

I've heard this term many times, but I have no idea what they're talking about. What do they mean when they say they spin a paddle?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Pat,
How do they use the term? It could mean that when you need to take 2 strokes on one side but don't want to lose you're rhythm you stoke one side without putting the paddlle in the water.

I'm not sure but I may have read something to that effect.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

I've seen it used with reference to feathering your paddle. When you feather your paddle, the blades are not lined up with each other. They are offset so that you don't catch the wind with your off blade during your stroke. But when you get ready to insert the offset blade into the water, you have to "spin" the paddle in your hand in order to get it lined up.
Last edited by Todd on Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I've seen it a few times. Here are a couple exerpts from the ONNO paddle site:

This paddle is NOT too big as to bog ones cadence down too a point of inefficiency. You can still 'spin' it no problem.

This paddle WILL hit you back if you push it..... be honest with yourself..... can you really spin this thing with efficiency? Gotta have the power for a Sprint.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
bhotrum

Spinning Paddles vs Feathering

Post by bhotrum »

The only reference I have seen to spinning the paddle is when you dip your blade to perform a draw stroke on either side of the cockpit - your blade angle is about 10-15 degrees with your top hand (above the water) spinning the paddle shaft as you rotate the paddle first towards and slightly down to draw the boat across parallel to the direction faced. The correct action will cause a slight spinning of the paddle as you get better and rotate it ever so faster.

Feathering as most of us know is achieved by clicking your paddle blade on your right strong side one turn down, so that the paddle powerfaces cut through the wind. The previous post is also correct in that you do need to slightly spin rotate your wrists down to set the powerface correctly in the water - no doubt about that. Feathering makes a huge difference in a headwind, probably a full knot or 1.5kts in my opinion. Then again, what was it said about opinions again....everyone ?!
Image Impex Assateague F/G
pat
Site Admin

Re: Spinning Paddles vs Feathering

Post by pat »

bhotrum wrote:Then again, what was it said about opinions again....everyone ?!

Lemme check... yeah, I've got one.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com