Headlights

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Headlights

Post by pat »

I was thinking that I'd like to get one of those head-mounted LED flashlights. I've seen a couple of you guys with them - where do you get them, and what should I expect to pay?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ron

Post by Ron »

Pat,

Wal-Mart has them, both LED and halogen. I do not remember the price, but they were not real expensive. Like anything else, I suppose there is a wide range of quality.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Walmart has a decent selection but I got mine at Campmor.com. Lot's of good stuff there for short money. Get on there TrailMail list and you'll get an email with some pretty good deals about 2 or 3 times every couple of weeks.

I paid $16 for mine but you can spend anywhere from $12 - $35 or so.

Mine can come off of the headband and clip on the visor of my hat which I like much better than wearing the headband. Start with Walmart of REI and get an idea. Should be some end of season sales coming up real soon.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
bhotrum

Headlamps - what I was told

Post by bhotrum »

As far as headlamps, I was told by a mountaineering clerk up here to go with Petzl, the Tikka or another model i forget the name of, apparently they are waterproof, crushproof, and have multiple candescence options 2,3,4 light, with red and yellow lense options. They run 35 bucks up here.
Probably a good idea at sundown to prevent a fine as by law the Coast Guard requires white nav lights broadcasting 270 degrees.

I have yet to purchase anything but 35 doesnt seem bad.
Image Impex Assateague F/G
Dave

Navigation Lights?

Post by Dave »

Check out these:

http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/pn--ledhedz-micro-hat-lamp/pid--130/

I picked up a couple at a tackle shop a few years ago, and we use them for everything. I actually misplaced them once, and went out and got a brighter more wizzy model at EMS, but as soon as I located these again, I leave the fancy one in the drawer. Its bright enough to see a map and compass by, and light up a small area.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I picked up a petzl at an REI garage sale for $9. I also just bought my daughter the $12 model from Walmart. Hers is just as bright but heavier. It takes 3 AAA batteries. My petzl takes a lithium battery, I think.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Re: Navigation Lights?

Post by pat »

Can't beat the price, but I'd like to see it and hold it first. It kind of looks like a helmet.

"Assorted cool colors, we'll send the coolest color we have in-stock!!"

That makes me a little nervous...
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

I believe Petzl sells a water-resistant headlamp... then you could expand your potential kayaking window by another 8 hours per day :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

That way when you roll over at night, at least the light will work.
Image P&H Cetus HV
Chip

Post by Chip »

Chip wrote:I picked up a petzl at an REI garage sale for $9. I also just bought my daughter the $12 model from Walmart. Hers is just as bright but heavier. It takes 3 AAA batteries. My petzl takes a lithium battery, I think.

My petzl tikka uses 3 AAA batteries. It is more compact though.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Dave

Re: Navigation Lights?

Post by Dave »

Can't beat the price, but I'd like to see it and hold it first. It kind of looks like a helmet.

"Assorted cool colors, we'll send the coolest color we have in-stock!!"

That makes me a little nervous...[/quote]

We have a blue and a red one, they are really small too, you can just put it in your pocket when your not using it. They take lithium batteries, I still haven't had to replace the battery in mine. That's after numerous fishing outings, and 4 or five weekend trips to the whites. I am not really sure how waterproof they are though. Definitely good enough to take a downpour, rolling might be a problem though.