Skills 2019 - Starting May 16

kayakerjnj

Skills 2019 - Starting May 16

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings all,

Warm weather is coming!

With that thought, I wanted to Post the Start Date for the First Thursday Skills Session, Thursday May 16th, 2019.

Hopefully the Thursday Regulars will still be at Kiwanee, keeping these sessions going.

Its not too early to do some boat / gear maintenance. Check your stuff, spend some time making your boat transportation system, function efficiently and smoothly. Have a great start to your season!

If folks would like an outfitting day, we can plan one. Many of us have a lot of practice with Minicell and other customizing materials. The better you fit your boat, the better your boat will respond to you. Please let me know if you're interested and or need some adjustments and we can organize a day to take care of it.

Details below for Skills Below;

We host these free sessions for all who wish to participate, Club Members and those who just wish to get involved.
We have been conducting these sessions for many years now. Everyone is encouraged to take advantage of them.
The more proficient your skills are, the safer and more enjoyable your days on the water will be.

These sessions begin as early as 4 PM, and can last until sunset or until the group succumbs to the need to PPR :D (post paddle refreshment)

Here is our location we utilize in Hanson https://goo.gl/maps/3VUQ1

Our Skills Sessions are an informal and low key opportunity for all to practice in a well-supported environment of fellow paddlers – instructors.

For those who are new to paddling, or have just joined the WT Flock, these sessions are open to all, flat water paddlers, sea kayakers, and WW Kayakers.

We emphasize acquiring your safety essentials first, wet exit, self and assisted rescues etc. If you’re looking for more excitement, you can work on more advanced paddling strokes and your roll too.

There are many regulars who have worked to acquire advanced paddling skills and they often assist other people achieve their own goals.

PFD’s are a must. Nose plugs, and scuba masks help keep the pond out of your sinuses. You’ll want them if you’re practicing skills that will immerse you in the water.

The first few weeks of our skills season are likely to be cool water, so please bring cold water attire so you can keep warm when you're in the water.

We’re hoping for a great paddling season ahead.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Joy

Re: Skills 2019 - Starting May 16

Post by Joy »

You know I'll be there!
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
Joy

Post by Joy »

What am I thinking. I won't be home yet. I guess I won't be able to make it! Silly Me.
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
Azane
antispam: No

Post by Azane »

Hi Jordan,

Abby is wrapping up her job and that put us a little late for Hanson this time. Thanks.
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Greetings all,

I was hoping to kick off our Seasonal Skills Sessions this Thursday. The Rain Gods have managed to dampen most of our early Thursdays, and have kept the temps low too. This Thursday is forecast to be cool and probably wet too, not that we wouldn't be in the pond, but it does get cold quickly even properly dressed.

At this point it is looking like 5/30 would be our next hopeful start date.

Hopefully next Thursday in Hingham will happen, weather permitting.

It's likely our paddling weather will start with sudden hot & dry weather when this pattern changes. I'd suggest using the time to do your seasonal equipment checks, UV Protect your hatch covers, and revisit your boat transit system for your respective vehicles. Get your gear ready, you'll be needing it soon, I HOPE!!

Jordan
Dan

Post by Dan »

Hi folks. I'm new here, but hoping to meet people in Hansen this afternoon. Still on?

-- Dan
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I will not be there this week, but will join in soon.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Welcome Dan.
Don't let the lack of participation today discourage you. Some weeks there are 15+ paddlers that show up.
KR
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Dan et al,

Look for us again on June 13th. Hopefully things will warm up and folks will be inclined to attend.

The sooner you post your interest for a given event, the more certain it will go as scheduled.

Most folks come from work, and load up the evening before. Not sure where you are located, but if there are no regulars or people posting interest I'll be utilizing Reservoir Pond in Canton for a Skills Night. Its nearly an hour drive leaving from work, so I do appreciate knowing if there are folks that will be here.

Hope to see you on the water soon.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Jordan
Dan

Post by Dan »

Jordan and all —

Sorry to miss you last evening. My bad. I should have inquired earlier to see if anyone was coming. It was a lovely time nonetheless, with the sun popping out behind clouds.

I’m down in Plymouth. We have good fresh and salt water to paddle, with a very quiet launch area behind Plymouth beach, should anyone want to come and play.

Unfortunately, I have to travel the next few weeks. See you when I get back.

— Dan
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Dan,
I'm on River Street, Plymouth. Hope to connect at a session soon.
KR