Researching an Agawam River paddle

Moderator: Chip

chirl31

Researching an Agawam River paddle

Post by chirl31 »

Everyone,
I am working on scouting the Agawam River from a little below Halfway Pond in Plymouth (right down the street from my house) to the Narrows restaurant in Wareham. I have attached a Google Earth .kmz with the proposed route and possible problem areas laid out. (I see that .kmz files are not allowed.)
Has anyone done this paddle before? Any information to pass on?
I am going to scout out the dam and some of the probable portages tomorrow (9 AUG 10).
Any information would be appreciated.

Chris
Attachments
Agawam River Trip.jpg
Agawam River Trip.jpg (211.74 KiB) Viewed 21656 times
norm

Re: Researching an Agawam River paddle

Post by norm »

Chris,

I've done a lot of that river over the years, but not all in one trip. I've stayed at the Maple Park, Yogi Bear campground that is smack in the middle of your proposed route, and done many short trips. We've gone upstream and downstream and done tidal sections of the river. It all looks so good on paper and maps and satellite views, but there are several portages, many simple but one or two I did not attempt. You'll need a saw and branch clippers in the upper section because it gets so overgrown, and there may be very little water this time of year. I don't think we were ever able to start as far upstream as you propose. I'll check and see if I have a GPS track tonight of some of my trips and see how far we made it upstream from the campground. Also, I did this in a couple different size boats. The upper sections you'll want a 9' recreational kayak that is easy to get in and out of. The tidal section I did in a 15' kayak on a windy day. I think a shorter kayak would be fine all the way down to the railroad tracks. I never ventured under those tracks - the current was always running too strong and my take-out was above the tracks. Make sure you have lots of bug spray, drinking water and snacks for the upper section - it will probably take longer than you expect to hack your way through unless somebody has cleared the way this year.

That's all I can tell you for now, I really should get back to work....

Norm
chirl31

Post by chirl31 »

Norm,
Thank you for the reply.
I will probably try some of the smaller chunks of this trip for now and see how it goes.

Chris
norm

Post by norm »

A quick lunchtime tip: If you take the dirt road (Agawam Road) into the Maple Park campground at 290 Glen Charlie Road, there is a little parking area on the left after bridge. Take a left after the bridge and then an immediate left into the dirt lot. This lot is before you get to the gate of the campground, so you may be able to park there for your scouting trips, especially on a quiet weekday. From here, you can put in above the bridge/dam and go up to the next dam about 100 yards upstream or you can put in below the bridge near the fish ladder and go downstream. Be careful not to put in at the campground's pond if you plan to go downstream - the stream flows under the bridge - put in on the far side of the bridge from the parking area, at the base of the fish ladder.

I don't know how low the water is or how bad the weeds are - I was there on Memorial day weekend and went upstream into the lake above the bigger dam and it was very nice. The portage at the bigger dam can be a pain - nice to have a rope on the front of your boat so you can climb the hill and drag it up behind you rather than carrying it up on your shoulder.
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

was thinking if this would be a nice river trip and worth opening the river up a bit I could do a utility trip and bring a saw and pruners and such to clean up the river a bit... let me know if it's worth while.
Marc
johnhealey1776
antispam: No

Post by johnhealey1776 »

Hey guys, did you ever do this? Im doing two days of adventuring on Memorial Day weekend. One day on the North River, and one on the Agawam. Wondering where I should start on the Agawam, and if it was viable to start at Halfway.