Sunday Cohasset - Scituate

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

cgr

Sunday Cohasset - Scituate

Post by cgr »

Jordan suggested postponing the Narragansett trip and doing a run from Cohasset - Scituate and back.

Trip mileage is 14 - 16 miles probably:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1968541

Current forecast for tomorrow:
SW winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 10 to 15 kt late. Seas 2 to 3 ft.

We will be leaving the put in at the Parker St ramp at 9:30 am.
directions to put in can be found here.
http://www.wtpaddlers.org/spots-04.html

You should be prepared for the weather and sea conditions; it is going to be hot but the sea is still cold.

I believe that Jordan, Nelson, Ron and myself are going(Barbara???). If you plan to attend please post or PM someone so that we know who to expect.
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Hey guys,

You'll have to run the rum without me tomorrow. I'm feeling better, I just don't have any strength back yet.

Drat.

Or, to quote Finn McCool, "Dang."

Stay safe out there. Looking forward to the trip report.
Barb
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Ron won't be coming so it's just Me, Chris and Jordan at this point.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

How about a trip report for a guy out on injured reserve drooling to get back out on the water and trying to live vicariously through your good times? Did you make the trip?

You don't have to get too fancy, just tell us what it's like out there.

Thanks,
Norm
cgr

Post by cgr »

Hope that you are feeling better Norm and that you will be able to join us soon?

As expected it was hot. The sea was pretty flat, only occasional boat wakes and a light swell to stir things up. We all grabbed a bow or rolled over to cool off several times. We had a light tail wind on the way to Scituate.

Coming back was much the same although there were sections of water that had large patches of pollen on them I didn't notice on the way down.

I didn't bring my camera, I don't think that Nelson did either. He was also having gps issues - so I don't know what the final mileage was.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Did you guys head into Scituate Harbor, or did you turn around at the light house??

I ended up doing a quick paddle from the Driftway to the Spit and up to Mary's and back yesterday afternoon. The Spit was a mob scene. Spring Break gone bad. Lots of boom boxes, BBQ, Coronas with lime! We didn't stay long at the Spit, and Sue was annoyed that people had no respect for the fenced in areas that protect the Plovers. Dogs and toddlers alike had a field day inside the roped off areas.

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
cgr

Post by cgr »

We went side the harbor and had lunch on some rocks on one side of the harbor. We did paddle around the harbor a bit before returning.

When we left Cohassett there were boats lined up on the side of channel and people out on the sand there.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

NorwayLady wrote:Did you guys head into Scituate Harbor, or did you turn around at the light house??

I ended up doing a quick paddle from the Driftway to the Spit and up to Mary's and back yesterday afternoon. The Spit was a mob scene. Spring Break gone bad. Lots of boom boxes, BBQ, Coronas with lime! We didn't stay long at the Spit, and Sue was annoyed that people had no respect for the fenced in areas that protect the Plovers. Dogs and toddlers alike had a field day inside the roped off areas.

NorwayLady

I even heard there were people at the Driftway put in that thought they could reserve a parking spot by putting their paddle across it... some nerve! Foreigners they say, but I can't be sure :D

The paddle to Scituate was extremely enjoyable, lots of rocky outcroppings to help break up the distance and a bit of a tail wind helping us along some. It took us about 2 hrs to get there. After lunch we paddled most of the perimeter of the harbor before heading back. There were some nice swells (or swell swells) on the way back. I managed to catch one at the right time and got a nice ride from it. The paddle back to Cohasset felt much longer and hotter and I was happy to turn my bow past Strawberrty Pt and take better advantage of those swells into the harbor.

PPR and air conditioning were both extremely needed and were found at the "Old Salt House Tavern" next to Atlantica.

All in all an enjoyable trip but would rather the wind with us for the ride home next time.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks Chris. I'm feeling fine now but I just have no energy or strength in my core. I don't want to slow anybody down or get out there and need a tow, so I'll have to get out and build up my strength in my rec yak on a small local pond for a while. The doctor said I still have some fluid in my lungs from the pneumonia and it might be another whole month before I feel 100% again. My goal is to get out to the next Hanson practice and take it easy there. I'll be looking for help getting my boat off and on my truck if I do make it next week...I don't think I can (or should) dead lift the 50 pound boat like I usually do.

Thanks for the reports - it's nice to see so many people are getting out and paddling in the nice weather. I hope to join y'all as soon as possible. :)