NARRAGANSETT TO HARBOR OF REFUGE Sunday July 13, 2008

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

wildwoman

NARRAGANSETT TO HARBOR OF REFUGE Sunday July 13, 2008

Post by wildwoman »

NARRAGANSETT TO HARBOR OF REFUGE (BY WAY OF POINT JUDITH) SUNDAY 7/13/08

A 15.5 mile round-trip paddle along some of the most beautiful coastline in New England. Arrive at 9:00 for a put-in at URI campus boat launch 9:30 am, paddle south along the coast and around Point Judith and into Harbor of Refuge. Many beautiful (publicly accessible beaches) along the way. The breakwater at Point Judith is considered an ideal fishing spot for land-bound catchers of pollock and striped bass.

This is a trip I downloaded from the RICKA website (note: I have changed the RICKA start location). Parking is available at URI. Add'l info on the put-in can be found at:

http://www.kayakaccessri.info/mapserver ... ferry.html

Paddling route for "Pier 5 to Galilee Beach and Pt Judith Harbor" can be found at:

http://www.kayakaccessri.info/kayakphot ... w_map.html

The long range forecast is S WINDS 5 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 KT... BECOMING 10 TO 15 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. WAVES 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

Low tide at Point Judith is 10:33, so it should be a blast coming back.

Please post if you're planning to attend.

As with every open water trip, we can encounter texture and more... everyone needs to have practiced self and assisted rescue skills and all the other requisite safety gear etc.

Anyone interested in paddling, please post your plans to attend before Sunday. I will be in Narragansett for the weekend, feel free to email me with questions, suggestions, etc.
Barb
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Boy, this looks like a great route. I've heard that the coastline around Point Judith is spectacular.

Not sure if I can make it, though. There seem to be "plans" afoot for this weekend. I will have to check with the activities director.

Any other takers on this? :)
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Linda

Post by Linda »

AWESOME TRIP!!! I'm in with the only glitch being the weather for that day, of course... it's been so unpredicatble lately. Looking forward to this one... Thanks, Barb!
And URI Campus is a great launch point for a number of reasons!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
pallen661

Post by pallen661 »

Enjoy! but be careful out there. The surfer types are all excited about building swells from Hurricane Bertha down south. Could be some occasional head high + on Sunday into Monday down that way.

Phil
---
P&H Cetus MV, black over white with red tape
Necky Jive, Orange swirly things
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

OK now it's getting interesting! Although the latest weather forecast makes it look like the Bay will be a bathtub:

SUN
SE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS. PATCHY FOG IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM,

Linda (yea!) emailed me that there was a SHARK sighting south of Narragansett! Come on, who's up for a BIG ADVENTURE?

Last week I drove from Weymouth to Narragansett in 1 hr to paddle with RICKA (West Passage). On my way I noticed little signs on the side of the road with the numbers on them.... 1.5 hours to URI put in is probably more realistic. So, it's really not that far away, and it will be glorious!

Where is the all the testosterone when we really need it?
Barb
cgr

Post by cgr »

I am waiting to hear the trip report. Did you get "swell" conditions from Bertha?
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

We had a swell time!

I'm writing the trip report now. Linda calculated the distances:

From S. Ferry st put in to area just past Whale Rock where I think we turned- 3.2 miles. Back to Bonnet Shores area where I think we crossed the bay - 5.62. Across the bay (to my surprise!!!) 1 mile, for a total of 6.53, so far. Up the shoreline to the beach we lunched - 7.8 to the Marsh Meadows Wild Preserve, into it (9.02 mi) and back out-9.35. Out to Dutch IS leeward side-10.7... across the Bay to the mainland shore line-12.04 and back up the shore to the put-in- a total (linear) distance of 12.7 miles... but we both know we did a lot of up and down paddling!!
Barb
Linda

Post by Linda »

Nice try, Barb... those were MY WORDS... and only an account of the distances...
This is what I wrote to Nelson when he asked about our trip... a bit more of a TRIP REPORT.
It was a BEAUTIFUL day, sunny, very warm, with a head wind that provided nice cooling.
The trip itself was an AMAZING ADVENTURE...we did modify the trip quite a bit... never made it to Judith Pt, never mind into the Harbor of Refuge... the incoming seas along with the strong south wind made for rollers that made last years Padanaram trip look like childs play! It took us 2 hrs of reasonably hard paddling covering a lot of 'vertical' distance to get 3 miles down the coastline. We got past Whale Rock and the land 'shelf' where the rollers turned into crashing breakers and we decided it was only going to get worse... we turned around, crossed the bay with large chop at our flank, went up the Jamestown side to the beach around the land tip across from Dutch Is for lunch.
After 'refueling'/rehydrating and some sun bathing, a swim and time to appreciate the numerous sailboats out in the bay we headed to the Marsh Meadows Wild Preserve where the tide was just right (it's very shallow access) to get under the low roadway bridge into a bit of the marshes. There we saw several egrets hiding in the grass... and even a family up 1 of the channels. We headed out again, and did a crossing to the leeward side of Dutch Is... I'll tell you, now the winds really ripped, the chop provided a challenge and the returning vessels complicated our crossing even more... but it was a BLAST to have 'beaten the odds' in such fine fashion! We went up the Dutch Is west shoreline a bit and made our crossing to the main land... another HUGE energy drainer... I was very happy to have Barbara with me... she's a very strong paddler!
Back up the shoreline... into the strong winds with gusts, chop and having to dodge the moared boats as they swayed almost 100 degrees on their moarings at times. The beach was a welcome site, today, where usually part of me is sad, because it marks the end of the trip.
As soon as Barbara and I set foot on land, safeguarded our boats we met each other 1/2 way, and HIGH FIVED each other... We BOTH agreed we were glad to have returned to the launch site... we met up with some RICKA paddlers just finishing their pack up... socialized about our great adventure and then we packed and went out for a well deserved ice cream!
A great sense of accomplishment still fills my soul!
A great trip!
PS. OH, No 'fin' sightings... although I have to admit... with the conditions at hand we were so focused on the seas... we forgot all about the SHARK THING!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Todd

Post by Todd »

Great report Linda and Barb.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Todd wrote:Great report Linda and Barb.

But I think Barb is still working on hers...
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Todd

Post by Todd »

Barb said
We had a swell time!
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170