Duxbury Bay/Ned's Point 7/26-7/27 parking and general info.

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Beanboy

Duxbury Bay/Ned's Point 7/26-7/27 parking and general info.

Post by Beanboy »

Well, I've tried Hingham Harbor, thanks for all the tips folks.

Would like to give Duxbury Bay a shot this weekend.

High tide is early in the morning and early evening. How are the water levels in the bay on the ocean-side of the bridge at low tide? Any problem parking in what looks to be a small lot on the mainland-side of the bridge?

Looking to get a few hours of practice in 2 foot chop or so, hopefully the conditions will cooperate, but it looks like Duxbury Bay would be a good place for this type of water texture...correct?

-B
Last edited by Beanboy on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Duxbury bay can get very shallow at low tide ;especially if your surfski has a deep skeg/fin. There is free parking at the lot at the west end of the bridge, but it fills early if it's a nice beach day. If you have 4wd drive you can also park a few cars on the sand there; just don't block the landing.

If it's a SW wind and a dropping tide you will most likely get the conditions that you are looking for.

Also check out Ned's Point in Mattapoisett if you want chop with no parking hassle. You can get in and out at all tides, and depending how far out you go the bigger the conditions. And if you really screw up you will just get blown back to shore. And if it's too much you can go inside the harbor; which still gets some exposure in some places.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Thanks for the quick feedback about Duxbury, and the advice on Ned's Point. Taking a look at a sat photo, I take it that's the parking lot with a boat ramp there at the, err, point? :lol:

I would like at least a few feet of water under me, not so much for the rudder but the paddle. Very delicate, something I found out after getting a little too close to a shallow spot in Hingham.

Does appear to be deeper with only a handful of rocks fairly close to shore at Ned's Point. Hmm, might just have to check it out! Thanks for the advice.

-B
cgr

Post by cgr »

Look on this site for a trip report from Neds with more info. There is a lighthouse at the parking lot, and a sand/gravel beach; but no boat ramp. It's a popular windsurf launch, and skegs on those are much deeper than your boat or paddle. There are rocks close to the put in, but they are easy to spot. And at low tide there is a sandy beach exposed.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Ah, so that's a beach right at the end, gotcha. Ayup, did a search and got a few threads about launching from Ned's Point, thanks. Definitely on the list for at least one day this coming weekend. Will post something up once plans gel and see if anybody else is interested closer to the weekend.

Thanks again!