Cape Cod (north truro) 6/26-6/29

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

John

Cape Cod (north truro) 6/26-6/29

Post by John »

Hello turkeys

In case any folk are in the Truro area, or looking to travel, i will be paddling around povincetown, truro, wellfleet, eastham or orleans. Bumpy water is welcomed. Anyone around/interested?
john
617 416 4071
Purple Valley Avocet, WS Project 62 , WestSide Boat Exceed, and many more to come.
Briggsy

Re: Cape Cod (north truro) 6/26-6/29

Post by Briggsy »

Hey John , my days off are weds and thurs. are you still around then ???
For future reference I am around every weds and thurs.
If you like the bumpy stuff, head out to Nauset inlet. There is a new sandbar formed just beyond the inlet in the open ocean side that looks like a small island. There is some nice surf out there. I usually go out right on low tide and play out for a while then get a nice ride back to the inside when I'm done.
You can park at the end of Hemenway Rd, Eastham. Don't park in the lot there ( residents only), drop your gear off and park on the street just before the lot.
Cheers Briggsy
John

Post by John »

hey Briggsy,

thanks for the local info. I wont be around this wed/thus, but may be back next week. Otherwise i will have more time in August. My wife works up in ptown during the summer so i do make the trip to the cape often. Ill let you know next time in the area.

cheers
john
Purple Valley Avocet, WS Project 62 , WestSide Boat Exceed, and many more to come.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

John, I'm pretty busy in July but will free up again in August too. I am planning a circumnavigation of Naushon Island off Woods Hole sometime in August on a Weds or thurs if thats something you might be interested in?? Approx 20 miles but using the currents to help. I'll post it here anyway.
Cheers Briggsy
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Dave,

I'd love to join you if I can plan far enough to request the day off from work.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Cheers!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
John

Post by John »

Naushon Island sounds great! I could go the first wed/thu in august. Looking very briefly at the tides and current, the timming of the tides seems to work out nicely (assuming your a morning person). Boston high tide on Wed, Aug 4 is at 6:21. According to Eldridge, we would want to get to the Naushon Channel (Robinson Hole) within 5 hours after Boston high tide taking the eastern route. Would you agree? I would be also willing to plan for both wed and thu, with Thus being either a bad weather date for elizabeth islands or a surf session at Nausett.

By the way, Dave, do you paddle a North Shore boat?

John
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

John, I sent this to Jordan, ( kayakerjnj ) in a pm.....
Hey Jordan,
I've never paddled the Woods Hole area so I'm planning and double checking everything. I'm using the Eldridge Tide and current book. I can only get weds and thurs off so I am governed by the tides. Thursday August 19th seems the best compromise so far. The current turns NW thru Woods Hole at 7.10am which means you have an hour or so before it gets too strong, Maybe cross woods hole early and have coffee and donuts the other side. The SW ebb between the Vineyard and Naushon starts at 8.37am so if we get a mile offshore we should pick up a nice current down to Robinsons Hole where the SE current thru the gap won't start till 1.22pm. So have lunch on the Buzzards Bay side. Return on the Buzzards Bay side is not aided much by any current but we should get a nice south westerly pushing us back and a SE current thru Woods Hole.
If you have anything you want too add or check my calculations then go right ahead. I was planning to post this as an upcoming trip. I am driving down to Woods Hole this Tuesday before work to scout out parking and launch areas.
Anyhow, I will definitely contact you as soon as I have fixed a date. I would say that if anyone else wants to come they need to be able to do 20 miles........

So thats my approx plan... weds 18th is of course an hour earlier for all the times and the 4th and 5th are around 20 mins earlier than 18th and 19th ( if that makes sense). The extra 20 mins is in our favour ...more time to get to Woods Hole. In other words the slack at woods hole on 4th is just before 5.42am whereas on 19th it is 7.10 am. I went down there today and found the boat ramp and a place that will charge $20 per day to park right by the ferry terminal. The parking up the road is $12 per day but takes ages on the shuttle bus etc. We could carpool to save money.
Like I said, still checking things over and I will post this as an "upcoming trip" when I'm sure of my facts.I'm kind of going for Thurs 19th mainly because if some of the South Shore folk come along its a long way to get to Woods Hole for them so the later the better.
Anyhow I will be around on 4th and 5th August regardless so a surf session at Nauset sounds good anyway or a trip down to Monomoy maybe. I could do something both days.
What is a North Shore Boat????
Cheers Briggsy
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

HI Dave,

I've launched from the Aquarium area, and from Quisset Harbor, beyond that I don't have a lot of other locations to put in.

Let me know what your schedule looks like an I would like very much to join you on this one :D

Jordan
John

Post by John »

Hi Dave and Jordan,

I checked out your chart calculations and they look pretty accurate to me, though my numbers are about 15 minutes off. Im thinking this is because i am basing my calculations off Boston Light and not the 2010 Eldridge Tide Book which is what i think your using. I am using the previos years book for current velocities, which luckily does not change much.

Unfortunately, I may have a dilema on the 19th of August. Though, if your interested in moving it to Thursday, August 5th, Boston Light High is listed online at 7:18, and Woods hole slack occuring about .5 hour prior, departue time could be 6:48. Again, eldridge may have the tide difference 10 or so minutes earlier (which is being the trend) so feel free to check it out. Also, the NW current through Woods Hole 1 hour after slack in my expericnce has not been too bad. We could always use the opposing current to practice eddy hopping. Obviously, if i cant make 8/19, im going to try to sell the date for 8/5. :lol:

North Shore Kayaks. I paddled with a guy sometime ago pretty sure his name was Dave, who had a North Shore. Nice boats even though there not as mainstream as NDKs,valleys, etc.
http://www.northshoreseakayaks.com/
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Jordan, if we were to go on thurs 5th would you be able to come??? It would mean launching between 7 and 7.30 ish. I am going to a Melody tent concert on weds, the night before, so I can't do wednesday.
Briggsy
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hmmmmmmmm an excuse to take my Birthday off. :D

I love it!

It should work for me provided I can be home early enough to let my Mrs take me to where ever she's planning for the evening. :)

Jordan
John

Post by John »

Farmers Almanac is also predicting a 10knt NE wind in the mornng followed by a 10-15 knt SW wind in the afternoon for August 5th. :D
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Jordan,
I just did a quick "Google Earth Ruler" measurement around Naushon from Woods Hole and it reads +/- 20 miles ( 17 nautical miles). Even at 3 mph thats 7 hrs . Assuming we launch at 7 to 7.30 allowing for stops you should be on the road home by 4pm . Does that still work for you. A good way to spend a birthday thats for sure !!!

John and Jordan,
I re checked the figures for 5th.......
1. NW ebb thru Woods Hole starts 6.49am (John you think we are good for another hour,right?)
2. SW ebb at Pollack Rip starts at 5.52am which means that at Nobska Point, Falmouth it starts 2 1/2 hrs later at 8.22am.
3. East Flood at Cape Cod Canal starts at 11.38am which means that the SSE flood through
Robinsons Hole,south end starts 1 1/4 hrs later at 12.53pm so we should catch a nice NNW current thru there before then and rest on West Beach on the Buzzards Bay side for lunch.
4. SW wind (as is the norm , hopefully!!) and maybe a slight current pushing us back along the west side of Naushon.
5. The SE flood thru Woods Hole starts at 11.58am which would mean that if we got back at 3pm ish we would be in the middle of the cycle and maximum current. That would be the only problem area as I see it ( other than the weather). I wonder if we kept a little to the NW past Woods Hole and then scooted down the Woods Hole Village side of the passage to sneak into the Harbor and then back to the launch, would that work???
I have never paddled Woods Hole area before and this is my most ambitious trip plan so far , so if you guys want to check all that out I'd appreciate it. Plus any other input on the Woods Hole area. I have a launch area, the ramp by the aquarium, and a parking area worked out already.

Also I can post this as an "upcoming trip" or seeing as there is so much info on this post already, John as the person who started this post I believe you can edit the title of the orignal post.
Sounds like a plan is coming together
Cheers Briggsy
Last edited by Briggsy on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

John By the way, I'm a different Dave!!!
And yes I am using the 2010 Eldridge.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Briggsy wrote:5. The SE flood thru Woods Hole starts at 11.58am which would mean that if we got back at 3pm ish we would be in the middle of the cycle and maximum current. That would be the only problem area as I see it ( other than the weather). I wonder if we kept a little to the NW past Woods Hole and then scooted down the Woods Hole Village side of the passage to sneak into the Harbor and then back to the launch, would that work???
I have never paddled Woods Hole area before and this is my most ambitious trip plan so far , so if you guys want to check all that out I'd appreciate it. Plus any other input on the Woods Hole area. I have a launch area, the ramp by the aquarium, and a parking area worked out already.

If you launched from Quisset Harbor(which is beautiful) your plan to keep to the NW would work. I think that Mark & Kate did a trip to Cuttyhunk last year and crossed during the flood and had to attain around Devils Foot to get into the harbor.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

cgr wrote:If you launched from Quisset Harbor(which is beautiful) your plan to keep to the NW would work. I think that Mark & Kate did a trip to Cuttyhunk last year and crossed during the flood and had to attain around Devils Foot to get into the harbor.

That trip report is in the Trip Reports forum, if you want to look it up. We were surprised by the direction of the flow - Mark was sure it would be going the other way. It was a difficult crossing. Be sure you hit WH at slack if you are not confident of your skill in strong moving water.

NK
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Quisset will add another couple of miles to the trip . There is another tiny beach parking on the north side of woods hole village which we could land at and it would only be a 10-15 min walk to the parking area which would be OK.
Kate, I read that trip report when it first appeared and loved it. Was the uphill paddling after Naushon Is. or before. These are the details not covered by Eldridge Tide and Current tables. And how come it was not downhill on the return journey. My wife always complains on bicycle trips that there is more uphill than downhill. How can that be when we end up at the place we started ??!!??
Cheers Briggsy
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Briggsy wrote:Quisset will add another couple of miles to the trip . There is another tiny beach parking on the north side of woods hole village which we could land at and it would only be a 10-15 min walk to the parking area which would be OK.
Kate, I read that trip report when it first appeared and loved it. Was the uphill paddling after Naushon Is. or before. These are the details not covered by Eldridge Tide and Current tables. And how come it was not downhill on the return journey. My wife always complains on bicycle trips that there is more uphill than downhill. How can that be when we end up at the place we started ??!!??
Cheers Briggsy

We cut through Naushon into Hadley Harbor and then hit the uphill part. We couldn't really account for what the current was doing, but there was no arguing with it - it went where it needed to go. Anyway, it doesn't much matter on the crossing - you go perpendicular to the flow, whichever way it goes.

You will have a good time no matter what. It's such a pretty place to paddle. Take care on that WH crossing!

NK
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

Thanks, I was referring to the photos on that trip report regarding the uphill sections!!!
You're right we'll have a blast whatever.
Briggsy
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

See New post " Naushon Island Circumnavigation"