Cohasset coastal paddle....Moved to July 4th late afternoon

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Finn McCool

Cohasset coastal paddle....Moved to July 4th late afternoon

Post by Finn McCool »

OK, things are getting too complicated here...I now have a cookout at 6 tonight...so I'm planning to do this paddle tomorrow evening - Sunday July 4th around 5:30. Going to be a hot one...so it will be good to get out on the water.

----------------------------------
The weather is so nice this weekend that I'm planning to do an easy excursion out of Cohasset Harbor tomorrow afternoon around high tide (5:00 PM). Right now I'm thinking of heading into the Gulf on the slack tide about 5:30 or so, spending an hour or so working up into the stretch at Scituate and back out under the bridge with the turned tide. Then I'll head out to work along Bassings beach and around in back to the large high tide channels...and back out. Then, if the spirit moves...I'll head further out to Strawberry point, circumnavigate the ledges about a 1/4 mile offshore...and make my way back to port with the setting sun.

If anyone cares to join me, just let me know. Or just show up at the Parker Ave Launch around 4:30 or so.

Happy July 4th Weekend....!!!
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Finn McCool

Re: Cohasset coastal paddle....Moved to July 4th late afternoon

Post by Finn McCool »

Bump...
norm

Post by norm »

Mike - I may be interested in joining you. I believe there's a few people planning to ride the wave in their whitewater boats earlier in the afternoon. I may give that a try or might just watch and then join you for sea kayaking....or do both if I feel energetic. It may depend on my behavior at the cookout I'm going to right now.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hope you get a reduced sentence for good behavior Norm! :P

Have fun tomorrow!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

norm wrote:Mike - I may be interested in joining you. I believe there's a few people planning to ride the wave in their whitewater boats earlier in the afternoon. I may give that a try or might just watch and then join you for sea kayaking....or do both if I feel energetic. It may depend on my behavior at the cookout I'm going to right now.

Come to the ww session! The wave will be small today, great way for you to start. See you then?

NK
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Two Turkeys paddled the above route at high tide this evening: Norm and yours truly.

We enjoyed a little bit of everything -- from the current and eddies of the rushing inbound tide under the bridge into the Gulf...to the peaceful reaches of the Gulf and then the waters along and behind the Bassings Beach area...and out into the energetic textured waters out by the ledges off Strawberry point. The paddle back to port was graced with a beautiful sky as the setting sun moved through layers of cloud, giving a rosy hue to everything.

A little more than seven miles in total. Another great time on the water. 8)
norm

Post by norm »

Thanks for posting the trip Mike. I had a good time out there. The ride under the bridge into the Gulf River is always so interesting, I need more practice in those conditions in the long boat - wish I had been at Little Harbor the previous week. I had not been around to that end of the Bassing's Beach area - looks like it really needs to be high tide to get in there easily. Minot Light looked awfully tempting out there but the conditions were nothing like the whole gang had a week ago. The water temp out at the ledges felt so much colder than in the harbor and river.