Boston Harbor Saturday August 14

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

NorwayLady

Boston Harbor Saturday August 14

Post by NorwayLady »

I was reading through some of the old trip reports and found a few from the Boston Harbor. Anyone interested in going out on Saturday? High tide in Hingham at 3:26 pm.

I found trip reports on "Boston Harbor Romp" (Back river to Grape-Sheep-Peddock). "Boston Harbor- Hull Gut to the Graves", "Hangman-Peddocks-Rainford" and "Thompson-Spectacle". I don't know the Boston Harbor Islands that well, except going around Bumpkin many Thursday evenings. So I in no posision to lead a trip but just "testing the water" to see if there is any interest and leadership out there...................

NorwayLady
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Re: Boston Harbor Saturday August 14

Post by norm »

Sorry Bea, wish I could join you but going to the "white-side" this weekend and paddling the Deerfield River and camping with my son this weekend. Borrow Jordan's WW boat and join us camping and flailing in the whitewater if you can't get a group together. I think Lora's going out there Sunday too, but I doubt we could keep up with her in the whitewater.

Norm
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi Bea, I'd be interested in a 'more Outer Island' experience... done the inner islands many times in groups of varying sizes and alone. Now the Outer Islands paddle is something I've done- launch off Pemberton Pt. out to Boston Light nearing coastlines out to Graves- only about 5 miles out but conditions can be the challenge- not distance. Also have launched out of the Neponset River hugging all the islands out to Boston Light and back-( DEFINITELY A DISTANCE AND CONDITION ISSUE- about 22mi trip) Choosing the right weather/tide is very important- more so than the DAY... weekdays may be more optimum to avoid 'boat traffic'. That's my knowledge, experience here... probably not enough to be the 'organizer' of the trip, hopefully someone from the WTP will have the experience/interest in this role... but let me ask around others I know that are more 'leader' quality, that I know.
If you're looking for an Inner Island experience - that I can do...
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Linda

Post by Linda »

OOPS! Forgot to add, I can't do either this Sat. - got a trip 'on the calendar'.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Bea, you might want to talk to Chip. He's been mumbling about a harbor islands trip for this month, too.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I'd love to head out this weekend. Can someone lend me a right arm and shoulder?
:evil:
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think the tides might be better next week. I like the morning high tides. I have been throwing a few things around. I am planning on taking this weekend off. I haven't been around the family much lately.
Time to get a chart Bea. :mrgreen:
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Chip

Post by Chip »

If you are looking for something simple with few miles, you can leave Hingham, paddle over to Worlds End. Cross over to Hull and paddle up the coast to Pemberton Point. Then head back to Grape and work your way back into Hingham. It's about 10 miles if you stay on the coast of Hull.
lora925

Post by lora925 »

norm wrote:Sorry Bea, wish I could join you but going to the "white-side" this weekend and paddling the Deerfield River and camping with my son this weekend. Borrow Jordan's WW boat and join us camping and flailing in the whitewater if you can't get a group together. I think Lora's going out there Sunday too, but I doubt we could keep up with her in the whitewater.

Norm

Actually I think it would be the other way around ;) I would have a hard time keeping up with you two because now I like to stop and play at every opportunity I can and I am into trying to catch as many eddies as possible now. None the less, I would love to paddle with you both on Sunday if it should work out. Bea, you can bring the kids, I bet they would love it :) The more the merrier.
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Chip wrote:I think the tides might be better next week. I like the morning high tides. I have been throwing a few things around. I am planning on taking this weekend off. I haven't been around the family much lately.
Time to get a chart Bea. :mrgreen:

I think I am around next weekend. Do you have anything specific in mind?
Bea
Chip

Post by Chip »

Nothing definite. Probably Spectacle or Georges with few others mixed in.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

Don't forget... we promised Aimee a Harbor Paddle for that PPR she dazzled us with. Does anyone know when she's back?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

I think this week.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
jasmid

Post by jasmid »

Bea

I would love to go. I don't care what the tides are, just being out there, on the water is what it's all about.

Jim
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Jim,

are you in Quincy?
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

This trip is about 12-13 miles long launching from Wollaston beach and can easily be adjusted. We can stretch our legs at Long Island if needed, and have lunch at Spectacle. Spectacle is a nice place to hike as well, and I think refreshments are sold at the visitor center???

http://bit.ly/c1tm9b

I have all day off Saturday, and can launch any time. High tide around 3:18 pm

Bea
Bea
jasmid

Post by jasmid »

Bea,

I live a couple of blocks from the beach in North Quincy. I can go any time but morning would be best. And we can come in on the high tide. Call me @ 617-448-7854.

Jim
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi Jim and anyone else interested.

How about if we meet at Wollaston beach at 9:30 for a 10:00 am launch. This will be very close to low tide, but I don't think it is totally muddy like Hingham. Correct me if I am wrong. If so we need to revise the plan.

Anyone is welcome to join us. If interested, please post on the forum. The paddling pace will be moderate and total distance about 14 miles with a couple of breaks. We will be crossing the channel for the commuter boats to Boston, so we might have some big wakes to deal with........

Jim, I will pm you some contact info.

Bea
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

We might run into some excitement tomorrow. Swim Boston Light event tomorrow leaving from Boston Light at 9:30 am.

http://www.bostonlightswim.org/

Bea
Bea
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

This trip is on. Jim and I will leave from Wollaston beach around 10:00 am.

Any last minute takers?
Bea
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

I wish.... :?
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!