Slocums River - Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Slocums River - Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Post by norm »

Planning out a trip on Slocums River in Dartmouth, MA for this Wednesday, launch at 10:00am. I have not been there before, so feel free to speak up with any advice. Two of us going so far. Planning to stay in the protected waters of the river and not venturing out into Buzzards Bay. Tide is high at about 12:30. I was originally thinking of launching at Demarest Lloyd State Park, but the info I've found says it is closed after Labor Day and from the satellite shot on Google Earth, it looks like the park is gated off at the street. So riding the tide up and back may not be an easy option. I guess we'll just launch at Russells Mills Town Landing, paddle out to the mouth of the river, exploring the coves and marshes along the way and then return staying within 2.5 hours either side of high tide.

Can I assume that there will not be any problem going against the tide in both directions since the tide height is only 2.63 feet?

We'll probably cover 7 to 10 miles in about 5 hours with one stop for lunch and many stops for pictures. The pace may not always be leisurely as my partner may want to work on kayak racing skills (not that I can teach him much).
cgr

Re: Slocums River - Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Post by cgr »

If I remember the current was strongest just off of the beach at the river mouth(there are signs for swimmers), but you shouldn't have any problems paddling against it. You can also go left at the river mouth and paddle up around the corner to the another small creek(Little River I think) if you want to explore a bit.

At low tide you will have trouble paddling in some parts, but I think as long as you're an hour or so away you should be good. You can also call Osprey Sea Kayak and they can give you more info - they run tours on the river.

There is also another town landing about halfway down the river on gaffney rd, but I don't know if there are any restrictions on parking if you aren't a resident.
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Norm,

Its an interesting trip that takes you through some dramatically changing land and seascapes. You will likely have some low water conditions around some of the bars where the river enters Buzzards Bay. Check out the trip report I wrote up a number of years ago...and Good luck finding the elusive inlet to the pond. :lol:
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
norm

Post by norm »

Chris and Mike,

Thanks for the info. We'll be there close to high tide, so low water should not be an issue for us.

I did read the old trip report, but we're not likely to venture out into the open water this time.

Thanks,
Norm