Charles River - Millis to Natick - Sunday 10/17/10

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Charles River - Millis to Natick - Sunday 10/17/10

Post by norm »

Anybody interested in paddling the Charles River this Sunday? I planned out a trip last fall and had to miss it due to work. Should be able to make it this year. I hope the foliage is nice. I think the start time to meet at the take-out for shuttle should be 9:00am.

I heard that my fall launch spot last year was not very good. I was thinking of shortening the trip even more and launching at Old Bridge Street in Medfield, but I'm thinking there might be nice foliage further up-river at the Forest Road put-in, so I guess I'd like to stick with the same trip I've done in the spring-time twice.

The put-in is at Forest Rd. in Millis and take-out at the South Natick Dam for a total distance of about 13.5 miles. I plan for a stop at the Sherborn Town Forest, for lunch and a short hike. There are trails up a hill to "King Philips Lookout" where there are good views of the area. This is about 9 miles into the trip, so a stop earlier for a snack might be needed if it is windy like it was this spring.

The trip report from last year (spring) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
The trip report from this spring can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1997

Since this is a one-way trip, vehicle shuttle planning is needed, so I'll need to know who's planning to attend ahead of time.
pat
Site Admin

Re: Charles River - Millis to Natick - Sunday 10/17/10

Post by pat »

As much as I want to see Deion Branch play with the Pats on Sunday, we're getting pretty late in the season, and I'd hate to have a string of crummy fall weekends mean that I don't get in any more paddling this year, so I'll be there. I'll be bringing my 4-boat trailer.

So the 9am meeting time isn't a launch time - it's a meet-to-shuttle time. Is that right?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Is there any issue with low water in the fall? I am mulling missing the game too.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Hi Norm,

I'd love to do the Charles again and there should be a lot of color this weekend (along with sun!).
Please sign me up.
Audrey
P&H Cetus LV
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

YAY!!! YOu're in my neck of the woods!

I"ll be there NOrm and Pat.
Maybe bringing a friend.
I let you know to check for shuttling.

With the expected rain the water level should be fine.
It's from "mud + 2" to a nice flow on the Sudbury now.

This'll be great!

Wonder about Lora?
Hope to see others too!

Crayola
Wish

Crayola
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
Linda

Post by Linda »

I'd like to join if there's room (shuttle issues ?). Was on Norton Reservoir the other day for a bit and the foliage is really popping and wildlife is still very visable. Should be a very pretty paddle. I'll try to check myself but does anyone know for sure if the Forest St launch above or below an overpassing bridge where there's rushing water over rocks, to pass. If so I might bring my poly boat where water level this time of year might be an issue.
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
norm

Post by norm »

Linda wrote: I'll try to check myself but does anyone know for sure if the Forest St launch above or below an overpassing bridge where there's rushing water over rocks, to pass. If so I might bring my poly boat where water level this time of year might be an issue.

Linda - The Forest Street Launch is down-river from the bridge you are thinking of. It is all flat-water from Forest Street to the Natick dam. The only danger of rocks are in few possibly shallow sections near Rocky Narrows, but with the rain last night, I think we'll be ok.

Come on out and join us. I did not set any limit. I'll have to get with it and take a good count and start thinking about the shuttling issues. I'll try to post the Google Maps of the take-out and put-in tonight.
cychan

Post by cychan »

Do we have a expected start and end time?
gifallen

Post by gifallen »

I'll be there, sounds like a great paddle. I have not paddles the Charles in many years.
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

I would like to join you.

Bob K.
norm

Post by norm »

cychan wrote:Do we have a expected start and end time?

Sorry for the slow response.

This will be an all day type paddle. With the car shuttling, we may not be on the water till 10:00. The trip is over 13 miles and there is not much push from the river current so there is 4-5 hours of paddling with probably a 1 hour stop for the hike/lunch at King Phillips Lookout. So, we could potentially just be arriving at the take-out at 4:00pm with more car shuttling at the end.

Hope that answers your question.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Norm, will you be posting a map?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
norm

Post by norm »

pat wrote:Norm, will you be posting a map?

Yes. I'm looking to see if I have it saved in my previous trips right now and thinking about the shuttling.
norm

Post by norm »

River trip car shuttling is almost always a pain in the neck. This shuttle is 9 miles of suburban roads and can take 20-30 minutes one-way. I have been too busy to be diligent about chasing everyone for a definite head-count and car-count. We could have 7 to 11 people. So, here is what I would like to do for this trip:

1. Everyone drive to the take-out spot in Natick at the Natick Dam and arrive at 8:30-8:45am. We will get a car/head count there.
2. We will move some boats onto vehicles/trailer and leave a few cars at the take-out (probably at least leave my 7-passenger truck)
3. At 9:00am, all drive to the put-in where there is parking for 6-7 vehicles in the lot and maybe more on the street.
4. Prepare the kayaks...put-in by 10:00am...paddle...paddle...paddle...hike...lunch...paddle...paddle...take-out.
5. Leave one or two people with the boats. Pile into the vehicles we left at the take-out and drive back to the put-in.
6. Get all the vehicles at the put-in back to the take-out and load up for the drive home or to PPR.
7. I think there is a Freindly's ice cream shop on the shuttle route if I remember correctly - I'll check that out or take other suggestions.

(There are Google maps below)

I'll send my cell-phone number in a PM to everyone that has signed up.

Things to know about this trip:
- The forecast is for cool temps in the morning - 45 degrees or so rising to the 60's - dress appropriately
- Wind forecast - 10-15mph - there are some open spots that might be a slog at times
- The distance to the hike/lunch spot is 9 miles so you may want to put a snack in your life-jacket pocket
- We'll need to keep a decent pace to be done at a reasonable time
- With the car shuttling, we are dependent on each other so we must stay together as a group
- Don't forget to set your VCR / DVR / Tivo for the Patriot's game

Hope that covers everything. I'll be on the computer off and on throughout the day if there are any questions. You can also call my cell-phone.

Here are Google map links to the locations:

Take-out: ("A" is the closest parking, "B" is additional parking but is not very convenient)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=17

Put-in: ("A" is the entrance to the parking lot, "B" is the launch spot, 6 or 7 car parking lot hidden in the shadows)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=19

Directions for take-out to put-in. (Take-out = A, Put-in = B)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=12

Directions for put-in to take-out: (Put-in = A, Take-out = B)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 4&t=h&z=12

Norm
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

Hey Norm, I'm out of this one. My back can't do the 13 miles and hours right now.
:( HAve a wonderful paddle and I'll look for the great photos.
Barb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
Linda

Post by Linda »

Sorry you can't make it tomorrow, Barb... I've researched the travel...see you in the morning!
norm

Post by norm »

crayolabarb wrote:Hey Norm, I'm out of this one. My back can't do the 13 miles and hours right now.
:( HAve a wonderful paddle and I'll look for the great photos.
Barb

Barb - Sorry I made the trip too long for you. If you still want to get out and might want to try to catch us, here are some instructions I gave to a friend of mine that might try to run into us also.

There is a launch spot at Farm Road, Sherborn (Bridge Street, Dover) where the book says there is parking for a dozen cars. I launched there once before, but I don't remember what the parking lot looks like. I do remember it was an easy paddle (left after launching) upriver to Rocky Narrows. It looks like it is less than a mile.

We will stop for a hike up to the King Phillips Overlook where we will have lunch. I estimate we will get there between 1:00 and 2:00pm if we keep a good paddling pace.

You need a map to find the overlook. There are trails, but they are only marked with numbers, no signage. Here is a link to the TTOR map of the trails. http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/docum ... il-Map.pdf We'll be landing at the Rocky Narrows canoe landing and hiking up the Red Trail, past Rocky Narrows Overlook to King Phillips Overlook.

Here is a Google map to the launch spot I am talking about:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=17

I hope you come out to see us. Bring a friend (or husband) so you're not paddling alone.

Norm
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

You're the best Norm! And I'm glad your creating the paddle you're wanting.
You sure deserve it after all the long hours you've put in by your computer.

Thanks for the alternative shorter paddle info. I'll see if I can get someone to come with me and if so, try to join you.

Will you have your cell phone on you paddling?

Barb
Avocet LV Orange/White
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
norm

Post by norm »

crayolabarb wrote:Will you have your cell phone on you paddling?
Barb

Yes, I'll have my cell-phone in my life jacket. It's a little hard to answer, but I'll try.

Keep an eye out for a couple in 9' Perception rec kayaks. They're going to put in at Rte 109 and take-out at Farm Road, stopping at Rocky Narrows. Their names are Suzanne and Dave from Abington.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Whoo-Hoo!!! It sounds like a PATY!!! Glad you're in for the shorter version... there actually are several options for a (shorter) put-in.
Norm, You ARE the best!!! "A +" for effort!
This is going to be a MARVELOUS paddle!
norm

Post by norm »

I finally found the time to finish up the long-winded, pictured trip report for this trip.

It is at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2287