Foliage Paddle This Weekend - Charles River - 10/16/11

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Foliage Paddle This Weekend - Charles River - 10/16/11

Post by norm »

Just noticed the trees in the swampy areas around my town are starting to turn color. Maybe this is the weekend to do a Charles River Fall Foliage Trip?

I'd like to do the same trip I've done the last few years.

The put-in is at Forest Rd. in Millis and take-out at the South Natick Dam for a total distance of about 13.5 miles. I plan for a stop at the Sherborn Town Forest, for lunch and a short hike. There are trails up a hill to "King Philips Lookout" where there are good views of the area. This is about 9 miles into the trip, so a stop earlier for a snack might be needed. The hike can take 20 minutes each way and lunch at the lookout can be another 20-30 minutes, so the lunch/hike stop can be quite long.

Wet exit/Rescue skills would be nice to have.
Proper cold weather clothing and a change of clothes would be prudent.
I would recommend at least a 14 foot boat to keep up.
Ability to paddle 13 miles at a good pace. There is no help from river current.

The trip report from 2009 (spring) can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1595
The trip report from 2010 spring can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1997
The trip report from last fall can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2287

Since this is a one-way trip, vehicle shuttle planning is needed, so I'll need to know who's planning to attend ahead of time, as soon as possible.

Please reply with what day you'd like to do this, Saturday or Sunday. Start time with shuttling would be pretty early, like arrive in Natick at 8:30am to figure out shuttling.

(I might try to set something up for a round trip on the Concord River on the other day.)
Last edited by norm on Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
centered
antispam: No

Re: Foliage Paddle This Weekend?

Post by centered »

Hi Norm,
I'd like to do this trip, and since Sunday is my free day this weekend, that would have to be my choice.
Thanks for posting,
Sue
pam

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm - I would love to join in! Sunday would be the best day for me ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

Looks like the weather forecast for Sunday is a little drier too, so Sunday it is. I'll add more details later, when we know whether anyone else will be joining us or not. The plan may be a little different than last year if it is just 3 of us, but here is the link to last fall's shuttling plan: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2275
pam

Re: Foliage Paddle This Weekend - Charles River - 10/16/11

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm - Would it be helpful for you and I to go together? We could put my boat on your car and travel in one car if it makes things a little easier. Let me know!! ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

pam wrote:Hi, Norm - Would it be helpful for you and I to go together? We could put my boat on your car and travel in one car if it makes things a little easier. Let me know!! ... Pam

Yup, that may work ok.
pam

Post by pam »

OK
Last edited by pam on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norm

Post by norm »

Pam - you may want to delete that last message so your phone number isn't out in the open on the internet.

I'll post the shuttling plan a little later today so that you and Sue both can see it. Gotta do some chores this morning.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Hi Norm

I'm interested in this trip. The foliage will not last long so I'll just have to put off some of my weekend projects.

I can bring the trailer if you think it will help.
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket
norm

Post by norm »

Skip wrote:Hi Norm

I'm interested in this trip. The foliage will not last long so I'll just have to put off some of my weekend projects.

I can bring the trailer if you think it will help.

The trailer would be a great help! Now I need to re-think the logistics, but it should be easier...

Gotta get going on my projects before the recycling center closes.
pam

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm - I will be away from my phone between 7:00 and 9:30. Please let me know if I should meet you or if you will be picking me up in Hanson. Feel free to leave message or to call me later. Thanks - looking forward to the paddle! ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

Here is the plan:

Looks like there are just four of us. That is a good number, especially since Skip has offered to bring his trailer. Having the trailer will reduce the amount of shuttling for this one-way trip. The goal is to have vehicles at the take-out at the end of the day with enough people and boat carrying capacity to get back to the put-in with the boats and gear. So, if we have Skip's van and trailer, my truck and Sue's car, it will work out well.

Pam has asked to carpool with me, so I've sent her a PM with my address and we'll travel together.

Here is what we should do:

1. Everyone drive to the take-out spot in Natick at the Natick Dam and arrive at 8:30-8:45am. (Map below)
2. We will move the boats onto Skip's trailer and leave Sue's car and my truck at the take-out.
3. By 9:00am, drive to the put-in in Skip's van with the four boats on the trailer.
4. Prepare the kayaks...put-in by 10:00am...paddle...paddle...hike...lunch...paddle...paddle...take-out.
5. At the take-out, load Skip's and Pam's boat onto my truck and put mine inside for the drive back to the put-in. Load Sue's boat on her car and she can head right home if she wants to or we can all go for PPR if people are interested.
6. Go back to the put-in and transfer Skip's boat onto his trailer.

Things to know about this trip:
- The forecast is for cool temps in the morning - 50 degrees or so rising to the 60's - dress appropriately
- Wind forecast - 10-15mph - there are some open spots that might be a slog at times
- The distance to the hike/lunch spot is 9 miles so you may want to put a snack in your life-jacket pocket
- We'll need to keep a decent pace to be done at a reasonable time, lunch/hike will be at about 1:00pm
- Don't forget to set your VCR / DVR / Tivo for the Patriot's game.

Hope that covers everything. Call me if there are any questions.

Here are Google map links to the locations:

Take-out: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=12+Pleasa ... 0&t=h&z=16

Directions for take-out to put-in. (Take-out = A, Put-in = B)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 8&t=h&z=12

Directions for put-in to take-out: (Put-in = A, Take-out = B)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 4&t=h&z=12

Norm
centered

Post by centered »

Hi all,
I just got in from a trip to the Cape and on the way home the serpentine belt broke in my car. I made it home, but won't be taking it anywhere tomorrow. My husband and I are going to try and load my kayak on his truck to see if I can take that.
Update in a few minutes, wish me luck.
Sue
norm

Post by norm »

Sue - we can pick you up if needed. It just adds another shuttle leg at the end of the day, but don't take a chance of losing your boat if you can't carry it safely or if your husband needs the truck.
centered

Post by centered »

I would greatly appreciate a lift! I'm pretty sure it would not be safe without the proper rack on the truck. I can pm you my address if that's easiest, or phone #. let me know,
Thanks
norm

Post by norm »

centered wrote:I would greatly appreciate a lift! I'm pretty sure it would not be safe without the proper rack on the truck. I can pm you my address if that's easiest, or phone #. let me know,
Thanks

Got your PM. Will pick you up.

Norm