Hull Snow Row - March 10, 2012 - 10:30AM

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Hull Snow Row - March 10, 2012 - 10:30AM

Post by norm »

The Hull Lifesaving Museum hosts a rowing race each year and there is a sea kayak category as most of you already know. A few of us are planning to do it for the first time this year - myself, Sue and Bea. Jordan says he can't make it due to being scheduled to work but we're trying to twist his arm to see if he can get out of it.

Anybody else want to join us?

From the HLM Website: "The Snow Row covers a 3 3/4 mile triangular course starting off the beach at Windmill Point, continuing around Sheep Island, past the Peddocks Island day marker, and back to shore."

This is a fundraiser for the museum, so there is a $20 entry fee for each paddler. It looks like there is no pre-registration, there is a registration form on-line that says to fill it out and bring it with payment to the race. The form is here: http://site.mawebcenters.com/hulllifesavingmuseum1/_fileCabinet/Snow_Row_Registration_Form_2012.pdf

More information about the race is here: http://site.mawebcenters.com/hulllifesavingmuseum1/programsandworkshops.html#snowrow

If you don't have the proper cold water gear or don't have the interest in paddling this early, come on out and watch your crazy friends give it a try.
Johnysmoke

Re: Hull Snow Row - March 10, 2012 - 10:30AM

Post by Johnysmoke »

21 knot winds with gusts up to 27 knots on the buoys...
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Turned out to be a fun outing. What a circus, but it turned into a beautiful ending to the paddle. Snow and gloom in the morning, sun and warmer at the end.

Great to see so many familiar faces!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

We did it. It was in question there for a few minutes during the morning snow squalls. We thought we might just watch, but the bay side of Hull didn't look all that bad so we went for it. Glad we did, but I was seriously doubting my choice to participate when we got about half way out to Sheep Island and the following seas started coming from two directions. Very squirrelly for me.

I'll write a trip report eventually, but I'll share a couple pictures here now.

They don't call it the snow row for nothing:

IMGP0221.JPG
IMGP0221.JPG (96.48 KiB) Viewed 6128 times

Four turkeys participated: Sue, Jordan, John and Norm

IMGP0233.JPG
IMGP0233.JPG (145.83 KiB) Viewed 6128 times

I've proven that I am not a racer. I came in dead last for the kayaks. I think I beat a row-boat or two. Thank you Sue for hanging back to keep me company in the first two legs.