Provincetown Whale Watch: April 27, Saturday - New Date

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Provincetown Whale Watch - April 13 or 14

Post by Ken R »

Very Well put Norm!
My saying is don't follow me, you may come with me, but do it taking responsibility for your own decision.
Below is the link to the NOA buoy at Stellwagon Bank please consult it prior to heading north of Provincetown.
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.p ... 1344197040
KR
pam

Post by pam »

Hi, Norm - A family event came up that will make it difficult for me to make it this weekend. :( I'll look for the next opportunities to paddle. I hope everyone has a great time! ... Pam
norm

Post by norm »

The wind forecast is still strong for the weekend. Here is the plan I'm thinking of for either Saturday or Sunday. Hoping to decide Wednesday night on which day.

Tide info:
Saturday Low: 8:16am High: 2:27pm
Sunday Low: 8:58am High: 3:09pm

10:00am: Arrive at the National Seashore Parking lot - make your own call to paddle or not
11:00am: Either launch or leave for alternate paddle at Wellfleet
I was thinking of heading out to Race Point first and then either back to the launch or possibly to Wood End if people want to do more paddling. Distance would be around 9 miles or as little as 4 miles if the extra trip to Wood End is skipped. See Google image below. Stop for lunch somewhere along the way. Probably done by about 3:00pm

If Wellfleet - arrive at about 11:30am and have a snack or lunch before paddling
Launch by 12:30pm and paddle for about 3 hours. See Google image below for a protected track of about 11 miles.

Link to Google Map for Provincetown launch spot: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.047954,-70.220493&num=1&t=h&z=16

Link to Wellfleet launch spot "A" and alternate launch spot at "B" : https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=135+Nauset+Rd,+Wellfleet,+MA+02667&daddr=Chequessett+Neck+Rd&hl=en&ll=41.925398,-70.040417&spn=0.034548,0.077162&sll=41.929908,-70.048614&sspn=0.004318,0.009645&geocode=FQivfwIdL2XT-ymPsvgramf7iTHEsRkUfq0PFw%3BFWLOfwIdeSPT-w&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=14

Proposed paddle at Race Point

Proposed alternate paddle in Wellfleet

Hopefully the wind forecast improves considerably. In my case, I cannot just put this off for a week due to work. But I wouldn't mind the paddle in Wellfleet if its terribly windy on the open water.

Norm
norm

Re: Provincetown Whale Watch - April 13 or 14 POSTPONED 2 W

Post by norm »

Ok, the wind forecast is still out of my comfort zone in Provincetown for both Saturday and Sunday. I don't have much experience looking for whales, but I imagine it would be rather difficult in windy conditions where there might be white-caps. I'm sure launching and landing would be no bargain either.

After thinking about it, I really don't even want to drive all the way to Wellfleet either, to just spend the day ducking out of the wind and not being able to get out to where there might be seals.

So my decision is to try postponing this trip for two weeks. The water and air temperatures should be warmer and hopefully the whales will still be around. If anyone wants to go ahead this weekend and take over this trip, please be my guest. And if there's a group that can go next weekend, go for it. There seems to be plenty of interest. I have to work but may be able to go to the KTP Paddlesports Show next Saturday.

Looking at the weekend forecast for the Boston area, it looks calmer and warmer up here, so I may post a trip for this Saturday. I've been thinking about trying to visit Spectacle Island each month this season and taking pictures from the top, so maybe I'll propose a trip out there if the forecast holds. I also want to check out the new campground on Peddocks Island, so that's a possibility too. Speak up if you're interested in joining me and have a preference.
Azane

Re: Provincetown Whale Watch: April 13 or 14 - POSTPONED 2 W

Post by Azane »

Good call Norm. Spectacle on Saturday would be fine! Easy put-in at Wollaston or Southie plus thats a great little walk/trail to the top.

Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Weather looks good for a paddle on Saturday. I'll join you to spectacle, this would be my first time in my kayak this year :-).
I to rather take my whale pictures in calmer water, so going in 2 weeks sounds good. If anyone thinks of going next Saturday I may join as we'll, since it's still a ? For sat or sun the week following. Seeing the whales twice can't hurt either.
Sandy
Archee

Post by Archee »

I can't tomorrow but Sunday yes!! Is there any decision and if so can you guys email me or call me... thx Archee
norm

Post by norm »

Archee wrote:I can't tomorrow but Sunday yes!! Is there any decision and if so can you guys email me or call me... thx Archee

Archee - you're the second person to ask about the decision. Scroll up a couple messages and you'll see that it was decided to postpone on Wednesday night. Also, I changed the subject line to say postponed 2 weeks.

But, I'm guessing this is not as obvious if you're viewing from a smart phone???

There's a solution for that too - there is now a twitter feed you can follow to get updates on trips. They are sent out by Pat.

Twitter info:
WildTurkeyPaddlers
@wtpaddlers
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I'm going to watch the weather for this Sunday - April 21. Right now the forecast is favorable, and low tide is at 11:16. If we meet at 9:45/10 and shove off at 10:30 we can catch the tail end of the tide out, be at Race Point at slack tide, and then come back with the tide.

Let me know if anyone is interested in going along - following Norm's sentiment, as companions - all are responsible for their own saftey.

I am unable to go the following weekend.
Eileen
norm

Provincetown Whale Watch: April 23, Saturday - New Date

Post by norm »

Saturday, April 27rd weather forecast looks good enough to try the whale watch trip. I have a non-paddling event to attend Sunday, so it has to be Saturday for me...

I don't have time to say much more - very busy at work right now, but could people interested in attending please chime in again so we can get a new count of who might be coming.

Norm
Last edited by norm on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azane

Post by Azane »

Saturday would be great for Abby and Steve! 27th
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Dalerks

Re: Provincetown Whale Watch: April 27, Saturday - New Date

Post by Dalerks »

Saturday sounds good for me too
Joseph
Cetus LV
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I can't make it this weekend, but hope to go soon - just lost my job, so I can g any day starting Monday.... If anyone is interested in going, let me know.
Eileen
flabo

Post by flabo »

I can can go Sunday, and would go Monday, if anyone is interested. If not P-town, maybe something more local.
Archee

Post by Archee »

was there a new day set? Can it be this Sunday? I cancelled the pool sessions as there was no itnerest
lora925

Post by lora925 »

Archee, It's Sat 4/27 as Norm can't paddle on Sunday.
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Hope to join you, won't know until Friday, as my car is still in the shop. Have a rental, but they don't come with a kayak rack.
TraceyJ

Post by TraceyJ »

Saturday is perfect.
I'll be there.

Tracey
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
Kris C

Post by Kris C »

Hello girls and guys. I am a friend of Jim Connors. He suggested I join in on this trip and get paddling with you all. I’m a RICKA member and I did a couple of RICKA pool sessions with Jim this winter and paddled with him a few weeks ago. He said he’d gladly vouch for me. I’ve been kayaking (sea, wilderness, and flat-water) for the last 17 years. I can carry out any necessary assisted/self-rescues or tows. I’m fully geared up for cold water/ year round New England paddling. I’d be paddling my orange P&H Capella 160. Parking appears to be the lot at the end intersection of 6 and 6A, is this correct? What is the proposed launch time for Saturday? Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting on the water with you!
Cheers- Kris
crayolabarb

Post by crayolabarb »

Hey Norm, Are you going this Sat. Apr. 27th?
Sounds like a great day for it. Perfect weather!
If you post the time you're heading out I'll see if it's possible to get out there in time to join you.
It's been way too long!
I'll see if I can get the twitter feed.
Avocet LV Orange/White
Cetus LV Black/White w Red trim
Tempest 16.5 Red Roto
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Hi Barb,

It is this Saturday, and I believe we're meeting for 10

It would be great to see you!! Amazing how time does fly!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
norm

Post by norm »

Sorry for the slow response. I was too busy at work to post anything today and then went out for a paddle after work and just got home a little while ago.

I'd like to go with the plan I proposed earlier in this thread (which I'll repeat here) and meet at 10:00am with intentions to all be on the water by 11:00am on Saturday. (Takes a little time for all the introductions...)

High tide is at 1:26pm.

I was thinking of heading out to Race Point first and then either back to the launch or possibly to Wood End if people want to do more paddling. Distance paddled could be around 9 miles or as little as 4 miles if the extra trip to Wood End is skipped. See Google image below. Stop for lunch somewhere along the way. Probably done by about 3:00pm

Link to Google Map for Provincetown launch spot: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.047954,-70.220493&num=1&t=h&z=16

I hope that answers everyone's questions. See you all Saturday.

Proposed paddle at Race Point
cychan

Post by cychan »

Hi Norm,

I pull the muscle on my control arm. I have been waiting and testing to see if I can recover in time for the trip, but it looks like that I cannot join you this time. Tomorrow's weather is going to be great; you guys enjoy your trip and hopefully we can join your next year's whale watch.

James and Cindy
jimc

Post by jimc »

Really wish I could join everyone but far too busy getting things together for a week in Knubble Bay. Hope everyone has a safe, interesting & fun trip. Take lots of photos - Jim
norm

Post by norm »

jimc wrote:Really wish I could join everyone but far too busy getting things together for a week in Knubble Bay. Hope everyone has a safe, interesting & fun trip. Take lots of photos - Jim

Have a great time up there Jim! Stay warm and don't do too much swimming.

If you see the caretaker, please ask them if the cottage is completely booked for the whole season already. I'd like to take a trip up there this year if possible.

Norm
norm

Post by norm »

cychan wrote:Hi Norm,

I pull the muscle on my control arm. I have been waiting and testing to see if I can recover in time for the trip, but it looks like that I cannot join you this time. Tomorrow's weather is going to be great; you guys enjoy your trip and hopefully we can join your next year's whale watch.

James and Cindy

Sorry you can't make it this year. Hope you heal quickly and get on the water soon. Keep an eye on the site, I'll try to post some interesting trips this year that might be interesting to you. Sign up for the twitter feed if you don't like checking in or subscribing to forums. Pat is going to try to tweet out new trips when they're posted.

Norm
KenW

Post by KenW »

Looks like a great day for a ride to Ptown. I plan on heading down as well.
Dalerks

Post by Dalerks »

Joseph
Cetus LV
norm

Post by norm »

Dalerks wrote:http://kayakinggeek.com/there-be-whales-or-atleast-dolphins/
My trip report for the trip

Thanks Joe. I'll add this link to the trip report I write when I get around to it.

I did get one distant picture of the whale that I might be able to zoom and crop. My GoPro camera seems to have shut off and I only got a couple minutes of video and it was before we even left the beach.

Spent much of the day Sunday photographing a high school track meet and had to get those pics up onto a new Facebook page ASAP - teenagers can't stand waiting for anything. So, I didn't have time to work on the kayaking photos except to take a quick look through them.

Norm
Azane

Post by Azane »

Cheers Norm and Joe, Fun day, beautiful weather!

Steve & Abby
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Azane

Post by Azane »

First posting with my new camera.

I was sorry that I didn't get a good picture of Kris on his first Turkey Paddle.
Part of the problem is that he usually had this HUGE camera plastered to his face.

I'll be on the lookout next time we paddle.

Cheers and thanks to Norm for organizing a great day.
Attachments
Norm, Joe, Kris and Jordon
Norm, Joe, Kris and Jordon
P1000277(2).JPG (237.29 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Joe
Joe
P1000290(2).JPG (154.29 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Ken W.
Ken W.
P1000289(3).JPG (234.94 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Norm
Norm
P1000267(2).JPG (231.4 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Reflections off of Ken's bow
Reflections off of Ken's bow
P1000292(1).JPG (177.19 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
best of critters
best of critters
P1000218(2).JPG (104.3 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Steve 2
Steve 2
P1000293(3).JPG (160.38 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
ripples
ripples
P1000295(1).JPG (188.79 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
lurking for water beasts
lurking for water beasts
P1000198(2).JPG (230.87 KiB) Viewed 602711 times
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

Sorry you didn't have much luck - I hear there were many whales in Manomet on Saturday. They are back in full force. Jim F. and I went today and had a few great sightings. We spent some time with a Northern Right that was surface feeding, a humpback that breached several times, a few unknown flukes, a few unknown dorsal fins and several dolphins. It was a great day.

If anyone wants to try again, contact me!!!
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Leave it to Norm to pick a FAC, Flat A** Calm day, he usually does.
Abby Nice pictures! they are incredibly sharp.
KR
Kris C

Post by Kris C »

Hey guys and girls. Thanks for having me along on the paddle; I had a great time! I'm looking forward to the next outing. Here is a link to the photos that took:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 7c567a92c7
If anyone would like any of the original files, shoot me a PM or email and I'll gladly send them to you.

Azane-
No worries. That was pretty short lens though I was using.. wait until I'm paddling with my new lens/ hood ;)
Azane

Post by Azane »

Ahoy Kris C, Thanks for the swell pics. See you on next adventure!

Steve
Abby
Maelström Vitäl 166
Zegul Greenland

Steve
Maelström Vaåg 174
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Fabulous pictures Kris!!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Kris C

Post by Kris C »

You guys are quite welcome! There will be many more to come this season, I'm sure.