2015/2016 Bea's Trip-posting challenge!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

2015/2016 Bea's Trip-posting challenge!

Post by pat »

Yesterday at the pool sessions, I was chatting with Bea who gave me a great idea. She said that many of the regulars are posting trips underground, which has left the Upcoming Trips section a little bare. Back in 2013, Norm became the "Trip DuJour" leader, and I think a lot of us got a little too used to that and we all dropped the ball on posting trips. That's got to change. Bea's idea was to post a challenge to all of the regulars and leaders of past trips to post one PUBLIC trip that doesn't necessarily require the ability to paddle twenty miles into a 15 knot wind, against the current and uphill both ways. I told Bea I thought this was a great idea. That's when she told me that she'd be vacationing overseas all next summer, and good luck with the challenge.

I'm totally kidding about that. Bea has some large-scale commitments that will keep her away for most of next summer. But rather than waiting till 2016, I thought that I'd steal her good idea and float it out there to see if there's any interest.

Hopefully, I'm remembering Bea's intents correctly here, but these would be the general parameters of the trips: The basic trip would probably be in the 8-12 mile range. This doesn't mean that the long-range paddlers couldn't tack on an optional leg to the trip, maybe while the rest of us explore an island or simply take an extended lunch on the beach.

These trips wouldn't be for beginner paddlers. The typical requirements would apply - 14'+ boat, rescue skills, proper equipment, ability to paddle 3mph for the duration of the trip, etc.

So there you have it. Any takers? I'll definitely post one.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: 2015 "Where's Bea?" Trip-posting challenge!

Post by Ken R »

I will gladly post my annual Newport trip again next fall. It is open to all skill levels, has many optional routes within protected waters and ends at the put in spot for a cook out. Everyone that has done it in the past has had a great time. Sorry I was too busy working this fall to put it together.
KR
Joy

Post by Joy »

I like this idea!!! I'm a taker. :P
Wilderness System Pro - Tempest 165 Limegreen/White
Liquid Logic - Stingray 125 Red/Red
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Hi everyone.

Yes, I was thinking of doing a 2015 Wild Turkey Challenge to inspire each and every one of us to post one trip during the 2015 paddle season. To kick-off the challenge I plan to host a meeting in March where we discuss what goes into planning a trip. The goal is of course to see lots of trips posted next year, and with a variety of Wild Turkeys posting their favorite trip we might end up with an interesting selections of paddle destinations for 2015.

So think of your favorite place to paddle and see if you are interested in accepting the 2015 Wild Turkey Challenge. All I ask is ONE trip each.

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great Idea!

I'm always game for a Weepeckets Trip, and if the weather and more adventurous are up for it a Cuttyhunk Trip too!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everyone
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Haven

Post by Haven »

I stopped posting last year because of a paddler who had almost no clue, but would be willing to start posting again if I can avoid the clueless paddlers. Most of my trips are 10-15 miles and quite a few are with a lot of flat water, all South Coast.

Haven
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think this is an awesome idea! I will gladly accept the challenge.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
norm

Post by norm »

I stopped posting trips because I had a very busy summer of big vacations in 2014 and any time I wanted to paddle, I was able to find a small group of compatible paddlers without posting anything publicly.

Also, I got a little scared off from my previous year's trips, where I did not set a limit and had 14 to 18 people join in a couple times. I have come to prefer groups of less than ten. Because, although we clearly state that everyone is responsible for their own safety, there is always additional expectations of the trip organizer to watch over everyone and manage decisions. I think we need to feel ok about adding a participant limit to our trip postings.

I will plan to post at least one intermediate trip next year.

I like Bea's idea and her offer to host a "How to Plan a Paddling Trip" meeting. I will gladly help out and show what tools I use when I plan a trip. I think other experienced planners should volunteer to share their methods too. We could have a meeting goal of coming up with an outline of planning steps as well as a standard set of prerequisite skills and required gear to list on postings. The prerequisite list could have adjustments dependent on how difficult the paddle will be.

Thank you for choosing to post this idea now Pat, so we have time to think about it and divvy up the favorite paddling spots over the winter.

Great idea Bea!!! And thanks for the offer to host a party...I mean meeting...

Norm
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

What a good idea. I'll take up the challenge and post one next summer, possibly to the north shore (far from great whites...).

(Norm, I suggest that if so many people sign on a trip that it feels unwieldy, the group be split into two, with skilled kayakers in each group.)

Kate
Eileen

Post by Eileen »

I' m in also, with a post paddle continuation at my house.
Eileen
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

Now that I have a WW boat I would consider a Travel Kayak trip for this:
https://www.facebook.com/WarrenMillerAU ... =2&theater
KR
Mark

Post by Mark »

Waste of good powder.
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Mark wrote:Waste of good powder.

I had the same thought!
Briggsy

Post by Briggsy »

So where are all the trips ???
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

summer has gotten away from me. I've only been out 3 times.

sometimes it's like that
lisadaria

Post by lisadaria »

Anyone posting trips? Or interested in going from Hingham or Hull? I don't meet the criteria in that I do not have a 14ft boat - only 12 ft - but hold my own and know my limits (and the boat's too).

Is Linda S still on this message board?
Last edited by lisadaria on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

This Thursday Night is a Hingham Night

Yes, Linda S is still a member, you can send her a Private Message using the Forum Mail.
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
Chip

Post by Chip »

Let's try this again for 2016. There a few trips but I think we can do better.
Ken R

Post by Ken R »

I'm planning a "Spring on the Charles" again this year but have not selected a date.
KR
Chip

Post by Chip »

Ken R wrote:I'm planning a "Spring on the Charles" again this year but have not selected a date.

Ken R

Re: 2015/2016 Bea's Trip-posting challenge!

Post by Ken R »

Please don't wait for me to paddle the Charles this spring. I'm currently not able to paddle for several weeks. This is the ideal time for the spring blossom.
KR