Happy Fall!

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

cgr

Happy Fall!

Post by cgr »

Summers over... :(

But the water is still warm; get it while you can!
Finn McCool

Re: Happy Fall!

Post by Finn McCool »

cgr wrote:Summers over... :(

But the water is still warm; get it while you can!

Warm...? I'll say. My son and I paddled around Waquoit Bay on Friday (after several comical hours watching him attempt kite boarding over at South Cape Beach... :D. )

Air was crisp and autumnal....and the water was clear and almost unbelievably warm. This is a great time of year to kayak...

I haven't been around in a few weeks...and in case a few of you are wondering...yes, it now looks like I'll be paddling some far different waters in the coming year or two. Think "Archipelago"...22,000 islands worth.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
djlewis

Cape Cod Bay was coooold

Post by djlewis »

Oddly, Cape Cod Bay up around Truro and PTown was quite chilly on Friday -- felt barely 60, maybe even lower. I wound up not properly dressed for immersion. It could have been the NE wind pumping cold water from out in the ocean.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Duxbury Bay on Sunday on the incoming tide - the water hurt my hands when I left them in for a minute it was so cold. And that was on the flats around the Cowyard.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Sounds to me it's time to blow the dust off those wet suits and fleece tops... already using my shortie for skills and play. Even though the water may be warm in some areas, air is chilling when your wet. I'm not giving up yet!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
AllieGal3

Looking for company

Post by AllieGal3 »

I just got a kayak recently and I refuse to put it away for the season! I'm new to this and looking to meet new people and have some company out on the water. Anyone on the south shore want to meet up and go sometime? (preferably during pleasant weather)

~Allie
:D
Todd

Post by Todd »

AllieGal,

There are alot of paddlers on the south shore looking to extend their season of paddling. Where do you typically paddle, what kind of yak do you have, are you ready for the colder waters of the ocean or do you stay in the flatwaters?

Please let everyone know who you are and then people will start contacting you regarding future adventures.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
AllieGal3

Thanks!

Post by AllieGal3 »

I'm from Raynham, have only been locally because I cannot carry it too far on my own as of yet. I bought a kayak a few weeks ago and have only been out a handful of times at the Nip in Bridgewater, plus I have not bought racks for my car yet. There's many places I'd like to go, I just can't carry my boat very far on my own just yet. I need to build up some muscles!

I'm very new at this, definitely beginner level. Trying to learn as much as I can. I have a Loon 120 Old Town kayak for recreational use (ponds/lakes/hoping to get to rivers someday) and have been going out on my own so far. I'd really like to meet people so I can learn more, have someone I can chat with and that can help me carry my boat further than 10 feet! I'd like to go to other locations, but it's been very easy to put in at the Nip so I haven't ventured out anywhere else due to the fact that I have difficulty carrying my kayak. I hope that's enough info for y'all! If anyone's interested, email me. I also have a house in Maine so in the future I'd like to get up to the Saco River.

~Allie
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi, Allie!
I go over to the Nip, here and there to practice skills. I am working on Sculling and Rolls... hoping to nail it down well enough so I have a starting place in the spring. Perhaps we can meet at the Nip, some time and we can paddle and do some skill building!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Todd

Post by Todd »

Allie, all good information! There is an art to carrying a kayak from one spot to another. You'lll just need to practice and get the balance correct. If Linda and you get together for some practice, have her show you and thing or two. She is very good with her yak. Lots of good ponds over in your area, and the Turkeys have representation there also. Be sure when you go out to be ready for colder waters. Your Old Town is very stable, so you shouldn't go over, but next year you should definately practice going over and then getting back in. Good luck, and try posting a trip in the recreational section.
Carolina Perception 14.5
rma913

Re: Thanks!

Post by rma913 »

Like Allie, I'm new to this activity as well. I'm completely hooked and need a few more excursions before I am ready to surrender to 2008. Any good clothing recommendations for cooler days?

I'm paddling an Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 which I picked up in Orleans at the end of the summer. I'm really loving it and one day hope to advance up to a sit-inside, but for now this is working fine for getting me off the couch and into the fresh air.

While I haven't tried the Nip yet, I've frequented Lake Snipatuit in Rochester (where I crossed paths with camoflaged bird hunters!), Lake Chauncey in Westboro, Billington's Sea in Plymouth, and most recently Plymouth Harbor, my first salt water venture.

Looking forward to many more.
rma
AllieGal3

Squeezed it in this weekend!

Post by AllieGal3 »

Made it out for a bit yesterday. While the rain took a break, I stopped over to Lake Sabatia in Taunton. It was quite peaceful, since I was the only one out on the lake. Came across two beautiful swans, but made sure not to get too close. I hear swans can attack! Anyway, it was nice there, but lots and lots of weeds on one side of the lake. Glad I went and tried somewhere new. I met a man when I was leaving that said he's been over to the reservoir in Norton (as Linda had mentioned before) so I think I'm going to head there next! I'm also curious about proper clothing. I know anything cotton is out of the question, as it soakes up water. How are paddle jackets vs. wetsuits? Trying to figure out what to purchase for fall weather....
:lol:

~Allie
cgr

Re: Squeezed it in this weekend!

Post by cgr »

AllieGal3 wrote:I'm also curious about proper clothing. I know anything cotton is out of the question, as it soakes up water. How are paddle jackets vs. wetsuits? Trying to figure out what to purchase for fall weather....
:lol:

~Allie

Fleece or polypro(or something similar) is better than cotton. If it gets wet it will still keep you warm and will dry quickly.

For wetsuits - many people who paddle use a farmer john/jane - there are no sleeves to interfere with paddling. One of these with a good paddle jacket would be usable for most conditions that many people paddle in.(april/may - oct/nov - depending upon your own comfort).

Paddle jackets - the better/more expensive ones have gaskets for your neck, wrists, and one or two at your waist to allow minimal if any water in.

Locally you might check out LL bean in mansfield, EMS, or REI in Hingham; they are probably putting things on clearance now or shortly.

Places to look online include sierratradingpost.com, rei-outlet.com, and nrsweb.com.
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Great! Thanks. Yes I did look at llbean and REI in Hingham. Didn't find much. I'm heading to Maine this upcoming weekend so I hope to find something up there if I can't find anything this week. Thanks for all the help! :)
Todd

Post by Todd »

Alli,

Yea, check ou the Kittery Trading Post when in Maine. I got my wetsuit at Ocean State Job Lot. Inexpensive.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Lance

Post by Lance »

Chris -

Are wetsuits, paddle jackets, polypro and fleece more effective when they have precious little froggies embroidered on them?
cgr

Post by cgr »

Lance wrote:Chris -

Are wetsuits, paddle jackets, polypro and fleece more effective when they have precious little froggies embroidered on them?

Jealousy is an ugly twisted thing... :roll:
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Everyone knows they're more effective :P After all froggies are water proof :lol:
Lance

Post by Lance »

Chris -

Indeed it is. My next question is whether those froggies provide any bouyancy...to help me avoid drowning while I practice my pathetically inept hip snaps!!!

If so...I want to order a dozen.

Are you selling?

Lance
AllieGal3

Post by AllieGal3 »

Wow. I'm jealous, embroidered froggies? Now where do you find something fancy like that? lol
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

There's no Froggie but you may look like Yoda when you use it LOL

That in itself is amphibian like :D

http://traxsurf.web.aplus.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=robe1&Category_Code=robe

This is where I purchased mine.

Jordan
cgr

Post by cgr »