boat recommendation/feedback suggested

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

boat recommendation/feedback suggested

Post by kayakstew »

I am an occasional visiter here at WTP. I have to 13ft kayak with a skeg, but looking to upgrade to something more suited for intermediate open water, like paddling to the some of the boston harbor islands (possible camp over) or paddle along nantasket and gun rock beach this summer. While I enjoy my 13fter and it has loads of cargo space. I dont think it is ideal for open ocean paddling. I primarily have used it to paddle the creeks and rivers on the south shore and some kayak fishing (neponset river, back river, charles river, sandwich town beach, wier river, higham harbor, etc.)

Any general recommendations? (is there a section here for that? a buyer guide thingy) Or can I make do with what I have?

what about something like a Perception Eclipse Sea Lion it's over 17 feet long so it seems big to me (being used to a 13fter). Are rudders totally necessary to control such a beast?

Hoping to join you folks in the spring! THANKS MUCH
~stew
Last edited by kayakstew on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgr

Post by cgr »

My understanding is that you want to have a spray skirt, and front and rear bulkheads(compartments for flotation) to paddle in the ocean. Can you get back in your boat either with a paddle float or with someone else helping you?

The shorter the boat is the less room that you have to scramble over the back deck and get back in.

There are several people here with 14 ft Tsunami's; and they keep up on group paddles. But Norm went from a 15 ft plastic to a 17 ft glass boat and he is at the front of the pack now.

But if you are looking for an excuse to buy a boat - that is way too short!

I started out in a 17'4" boat and never found the length to be an issue. It's only 2 ft longer at each end! A skeg or rudder will help with tracking; but mileage on the water is the best teacher in my limited experience.

Try other boats out! Go to Charles River Kayak or Billington Sea and try different things out. You won't get waves at Charles River but I bet you can go to Billington on a windy day. Check out the way that footpegs or seat adjusts, how comfortable the seat is, how the hatches work, if you can use the bungie lines.
norm

Post by norm »

Hey Chris - the Kajak Sport Artisan Millenium is 18'3", not 17 feet. Don't sell Jordan's old boat short! The only reason I stay ahead of the pack is that I can't roll yet and I want people to rescue me if I tip over. :D

Soon I've gotta sign up for those rolling classes you've posted...after I get my sons winter sports schedules.
kayakstew

Post by kayakstew »

Thanks for the info! Do you think the Perception Eclipse Sea Lion is a suitable boat?

I am interested in those rolling lessons too! Where's the info?

~stew
cgr

Post by cgr »

I don't know much about the Eclipse Sea Lion; but I have a wilderness cape horn 17 that has sat in my garage unused since I bought my Tempest 170.

I've been too lazy to advertise it - but if you are interested in a plastic boat with a rudder let me know.

The rolling class info is here:
http://www.wtpaddlers.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1453

Just about every kayak school has rolling classes over the winter.