Run of the Charles Regatta Logistics

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

rkhederian

Run of the Charles Regatta Logistics

Post by rkhederian »

I would like to do the 9 mile route this year at the run of the Charles Regatta (http://www.crwa.org/rotc/rotc.html). This is my first time doing it, and was wondering a couple of things. First, has anyone done this race and how was it?

Second, is anyone else planning on doing the 9 mile this year who would like to car pool so we can leave a car at both the start and finish?

Thanks
Bob
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Good Luck Bob!

I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Cheers,

Jordan
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

I've been part of the 24 mile relay in a (GASP) canoe for about 8 years now. Parking at the finish can be interesting, ie on the road since the lots fill up fast.

Not positive of the first few miles of the 9-mile race, but I believe it is fairly open minus one narrow section right after the beginning, watch rocks to starboard.

Portage in Waltham at the 3.x mile mark is a long one and where the fun begins. Fairly steep bank to get up and then a nice loooong run/walk with your boat.

Other two portages are shorter.

There's rocky scratch sections in Watertown that eat understern rudders. Also one section under a bridge with minimal whitewater that always takes out a boat or two, like the folks in front of us last year. Also a hazard or two in the shallow sections, saw one canoe lift up out of the water a good six inches and dump paddlers after they hit a stump that was right under the surface.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169