Wollaston Beach Launching

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Chip

Wollaston Beach Launching

Post by Chip »

Is Wollaston beach launchable at any point in the tide cycle or does it get mucky at low tide?
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Not sure if being a "bathing beach" means there are restrictions?

I think the muck factor is minimal at low tide, but it sure insn't too sandy!
norm

Post by norm »

Chip - still looking to visit Hangman's Island to cross it off your list?

I don't think there are any restrictions to launching kayaks since the beach is so long and spread out.

I believe Jordan is correct about the "muck factor", it's fairly rocky so you don't sink in too far.

The problem with launching at dead low tide might be how far out you have to carry everything from the street to the water.
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Norm's got a great point about the low tide haul to the water, it's worse than city point at low tide....
Chip

Post by Chip »

Thanks guys. I will try to avoid it if possible. I am working on a hangmans, rainsford, georges, spectacle loop. About 12 miles.
norm

Post by norm »

Wow, I'd be in for that one if I'm free on the chosen day.
chpaton

Re: Wollaston Beach Launching

Post by chpaton »

Chip wrote:Is Wollaston beach launchable at any point in the tide cycle or does it get mucky at low tide?

Wollaston Beach is fine for at least 2-3 hours either side of high tide. There are no imposed restrictions on kayak (or Jet Ski or any other small boat) launchings that I'm aware of and nobody has ever stopped me (I launch from the beach at least 6 times a summer, as I use it to launch for quick solo fitness trips).

Besides the mud at low water, the other impediment you might encounter is limited parking after 10-11AM on a good beach day. My favorite launch spots are at the seawall cutout nearest Tony's or all the way up the beach (towards Squantum) at the end of the parking lot - avoiding the more populated areas near the YC's (it's muddier near the YCs too!).

For your proposed destinations you might want to consider launching from the Quincy Marine Center on Sea St. in Hough's Neck (close by free parking in a city owned lot - no sticker required) - you'd have to navigate the West Gut past Nut Is. but it's actually closer to Hangman's and Rainsford than Wolly beach (perhaps giving you more time for Is. exploration). Tide is not an issue (for kayaks) at the QMC boat ramp but tide rip thru the West Gut at low water in conjunction with the right breeze and power boat wakes can create some confused texture in the shallows on the Peddock's side of the West Gut (this can easily be avoided or, if conditions and your preferences allow, exploited for some fun along the way).

As far as destinations go, remember that Spectacle and Georges get pretty crowded with ferry droppings on a nice summer weekend day. For more of an undeveloped Is. experience (in line with Hangman's and Rainsford) you might want to consider Lovell's, Gallops, and the old military installation on the tip of Long.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
bevbarnard

Post by bevbarnard »

Hi Chip,

If you want some company I would be up for joining you - sounds like a nice route. I am busy on June 26th taking my son to camp and the 27th racing the Cape Ann Challenge (Sailboat race). Other than that I can usually get away. Weekdays are often fine for me - the joy of being in sales!

Cheers,

Bev.
Bev Barnard
Cell: 617 460 5210
Epic 18x
Current Designs Extreme HV
Chip

Post by Chip »

Hi Bev,
This will probably be early July.
kayakstew

Shore Drive

Post by kayakstew »

What about launching off Shore Drive (straight across from Furnace Brook). With Black's Creek right there and deeper waters, it shouldnt be too difficult to paddle close to shore at lowtide. Just be careful of any currentwith water passing into and out of black's creek.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 72.22,,0,5

You might also want to entertain the idea of launching from bayswater road in Hough's Neck. There is a small beach there and seems like parking somewhere on the street wouldnt be that big an issue.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 1&t=h&z=14

just a few ideas...
~stew
chpaton

Re: Shore Drive

Post by chpaton »

kayakstew wrote:What about launching off Shore Drive (straight across from Furnace Brook). With Black's Creek right there and deeper waters, it shouldnt be too difficult to paddle close to shore at lowtide. Just be careful of any currentwith water passing into and out of black's creek.

You might also want to entertain the idea of launching from bayswater road in Hough's Neck. There is a small beach there and seems like parking somewhere on the street wouldnt be that big an issue.

just a few ideas...
~stew

Stew:

The current caused by Black's Creek near Merry Mount Beach at low water can be very strong and tricky near low tide. It could be problematic for some launching and landing. The Half Moon flats are also become exposed around low tide limiting your course options. But the biggest problem is parking. There is only limited on street parking at Merry Mount Beach and members of the Merry Mount Beach Association are very territorial. Assuming you found a free spot and did park on the street, access to the beach is limited by narrow gates in the fence, AND it's a fair schlepp to the water.

The beach at Baywater Rd also has limited parking - more than 3 cars would be pushing it. There is a "for a fee" boat launch ramp at one end of the beach and patrons tend to park along the Rd. The beach itself is rather rocky, some folks might not want to risk their gel coats, and the beach is also walled off from the Rd. by a 3+ ft. high 3+ ft. wide sea wall which provides another opportunity to scratch up your 'yak. The one time I launched there I negotiated the wall ok on the way out, but getting my 65lbs poly yak over it coming back was another story.

I still say the best launching spot on Hough's Neck is the Quincy Marine Center on Bay Veiw Rd (next to Quincy YC and behind Louis' Crossing) Free lot parking, rest rooms (when the Center is open), and PPR at Louis' Crossing!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 2.271609,-
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
kayakstew

No argument from me!

Post by kayakstew »

seems like Craig sure has done his research and learned from experience.

kudos and thanks for the feedback!
~stew