kafffrin

Youngerish kayakers..

Post by kafffrin »

Hey,
Join my faceboook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 5718761442

New England Sea Kayakers Under 40

Description:
I once asked a middle-aged, long-time paddler why is it that so many sea kayakers are in their 50s+. He said he thought it was because it was a slower, peaceful sport. That might be true, but it's also a thrilling, intoxicating rush to play in currents; to surf; to tempt the sea. So, my question is: where the hell are younger paddlers in New England?

This is a group for youngish kayakers to hook up and go paddling... especially for those of us who believe that a good paddle should be immediately followed by sipping gin at some cafe on the water or gulping beer at a dive bar or nibbling on fried seafood at a road side stand or otherwise appreciating the end to a beautiful day..
EDGECRUSHER

Re: Youngerish kayakers..

Post by EDGECRUSHER »

Probably not with this nice group of fine folks here, but on other paddling forums,

"Those there be fightin words!"
kafffrin

Post by kafffrin »

i know.. what can i say.. i like to take risks..
kafffrin

Post by kafffrin »

i'm open to other theories on the age question...
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

I have wondered the same thing upon occasion. Several reasons I've considered: sea kayaks are expensive! much cheaper to get into whitewater if you are inclined toward kayaking, and much more adrenaline there. Also: sea kayaks are big! If you are a young person living in an apartment, where you gonna put it? Older folks more likely have their own homes and some space for a big ol' kayak. Also: sea kayaks require cars to move them around! Quite a few of the young people I work with in Boston do not own cars. All the older ones do.

That's my short list of reasons. Hope your facebook page generates lots of interest. And I hope that if you find some younger paddlers, they'll mix with the Turkeys now and again to infuse some of that young energy and enthusiasm into our group. That is always welcome!

NK
Mark

Post by Mark »

kafffrin wrote: So, my question is: where the hell are younger paddlers in New England?

Paddling whitewater. What are you doing in a sea kayak at your age? Sheesh!
Mark

Post by Mark »

BTW - the Over 50 Sea Kayakers around here are pretty hardcore, I'll have you know. We just put out a new adventure DVD called "Is This the Sea? (I Don't Have My Glasses On)"
EDGECRUSHER

Post by EDGECRUSHER »

kafffrin wrote:i'm open to other theories on the age question...

There's no sea kayaking in the X-Games?

Seriously, maybe too many other warm weather options?
Kayaking has to share my free time with mountain biking, hiking, and golf. I would definitely kayak more if did not enjoy the others.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Mark wrote:We just put out a new adventure DVD called "Is This the Sea? (I Don't Have My Glasses On)"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Doug

Post by Doug »

The only time I see sea kayakers forty and under is when I turn around and get out the binoculars! Har,har.
"Adventure is worthwhile in itself." - Amelia Earhart
kafffrin

Post by kafffrin »

hehe...
Lori

Post by Lori »

Excellent Question! When I first began kayaking in my late 30's, I often wondered why I was always the youngest kayaker in the group & why I hardly saw younger people sea kayaking.
I would actually come across some younger paddlers when I was taking different kayaking classes or trips but that was the extent of it. Now at age 46, I can perhaps shed some light as to why I didn't start paddling earlier.
In my 20's...I had never actually seen a kayak (except in my social studies books as a kid when the class read the chapter on Inuits). I've always grown up near the water. My husband scuba dived and I used to water ski. But I still never saw a kayak on the water. Today, it's a different story. It seems when summer arrives, you notice kayaks on top of many cars. Perhaps if I knew about it back in my 20's, I would have started paddling earlier.
In my 30's...my kids were younger, so I couldn't just leave for a good portion of the day and go kayaking and have a few pops afterwards.
Once my kids got a little older and more self sufficient, I was able to give kayaking a try. Yes...it's true that the majority of sea kayakers are older. But keep an open mind and welcome all ages. I have found great fun and friendship with others who enjoy the thrill of sea kayaking, playing a game of football at a lunch break and towing along some Sam Adams so we don't have to wait until we are done paddling. Some are my age and others are not.
It all comes down to personality and what your pleasure is. Do you like whitewater or kayak camping...fishing or a mellow paddle? I think you'll find many paddlers (yes, older than 40), who like what you described...waves, currents...etc. And guess what? Some of us don't even have gray hair yet!!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I figured that it was a simple matter of kayaking being not exciting enough. Sure, there is whitewater, but that's pretty rare. How many locations are there to go whitewater kayaking? There are a couple spots in Cohasset where you can kayak in place, but there are no raging rivers anywhere around here. 99.9% of kayaking is in open water. It requires work and some patience.

It also requires storage. Kayaking isn't really suited to apartment living, which is where many young people start.

I think that, to a great extent, it requires a commitment on several levels, and young people aren't willing to make that commitment just yet. I don't mean that in a negative way. It's simply a matter of practicality. Do they really want to invest four figures on kayaking when all their friends are spending their money on Ipods, music and clothes? And who are they going to kayak with?

I'm sorry we don't see more younger people kayaking, but I'm honestly not surprised. I don't know that I'd be all that willing if I was in my 20's.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
stevieo526

Post by stevieo526 »

Here I come to break the mold! I'm in my mid-twenties and fell in love with kayaking earlier this year. I think it does require a great deal of commitment and storage to start the hobby (if you can call it that, maybe "way of life" is a better term). The problem may be that younger people just aren't introduced to kayaking or their need for speed won't allow them to sit back and enjoy the world around them.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I believe you will see more and more "younger" kayakers in the next few years. There has been an explosion of "older" kayakers in recent years and many have introduced their teenage and 20-something kids to the sport. My son, niece and nephew are all in their twenties and all kayak because their parents took up the sport. Consequently, they have turned on their girlfriends and boyfriends to the sport.

Right now they are all recreational kayakers because of financial commitments (new house, grad school, etc.) but I believe they will all make the move to more expensive sea kayaks and/or white-water boats in the next few years. Not all twenty-somethings want to hear the scream of a jet ski and many realize they are fairly boring as well. :)

Keep looking and keep promoting the sport to your generation...........