Washburn Island Camping

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

pat
Site Admin

Washburn Island Camping

Post by pat »

I'm not putting this into "Upcoming Trips", because at this point, it's just discussion.

At last night's gathering, we discussed the idea of an overnight camping trip on Washburn Island in Waquoit Bay in Falmouth. Apparently, It's almost already too late. Here's the current availability for late May:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campsiteC ... rkId=32624
waquoit.gif
waquoit.gif (45.47 KiB) Viewed 26427 times

All campsites are $8/day and can take a max of four people, except for site #9, which is $25/day and can hold 25 people. This would be our obvious choice (unless we get abysmal interest, which I don't see happening).

Although site #9 is shown as taken on Fri/Sat, I assume that means the nights of Fri/Sat.

Site #9 IS available on May 7/8. FWIW, you need a minimum of 9 people to reserve the site.

OR, we could simply take a handful of smaller sites. $2/person really is chump change. And I'm sure we can all gather in one site for the evening festivities.

So... Several questions.

Are you interested in doing this? And by "interested", I'm looking for "Hell yes!!!", as opposed to "Possibly, but I'll have to see how my schedule shapes up."

How do you feel about the date? When is just too early in the season?

How do you feel about the group site vs. smaller sites?

I think that a weekend trip is our obvious preference, but is a mid-week trip out of the question for you if there are no other options?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Re: Washburn Island Camping

Post by Chip »

I am very interested. I think site 11 is also a group site. Looks like they want no more than 4 people and 2 tents on a regular site. I am sure we can fit 4 of our small tents on these sites especially if we get adjacent sites.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I didn't include site #11, because it's marked as a "management site", and is X'd out throughout the season.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Alrighty then.

If we get 8 or less I would go for sites 1 and 2. They are pretty remote from the others if I remember correctly. Site 9 is pretty close to management. Tougher to sneak beverages with Mom and Dad so close. 8)
Ron

Post by Ron »

As usual, I am interested at any time.
Image P&H Cetus HV
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

If I'm able, I'll join you regardless of the camping!

I'll commute :lol:
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
KAYAK KEN

Post by KAYAK KEN »

Hell yes! How did I do? Ken
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Perfect!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
nchill

Post by nchill »

I am not sure it is too late to get site #9 later in the season. I think that the reason the later dates are x-ed out is because they are outside the 6-month booking window. But, unless you are online to book it the minute it becomes available, you will probably miss it. It is very popular. Linda (free2goyaking) and I had a small site in early May last year. It was a bit windy which made it cold (no fires allowed), otherwise we had a great time. No bugs that early! I am a maybe for early May at the group site, but if you get 2 small sites, I would not want to take away someone else's opportunity to go, as I have been there often. BTW, you do not want to go during greenhead season (mid-Jul-early Aug).

Site #11 used to in the middle of the island, back behind site no. 7, fairly far from the other sites. It was a group site, not "management". It was well used by boyscout troops arriving by canoe, and accessed from the opposite side of the island. It looks like they have made some changes, or someone's drawing of where site #11 is, is off. If you go early in the season, you do not have to worry about being watched, as the island managers do not usually stay out for the night until later in the season (not that you are going to be naughty).

-Nancy
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Waquoit Bay has some terrific paddling...and you can go outside the beach for more energetic stuff. I may join you for the day...or if there's a spot I'll stow my backpacking gear in the Tsunami Tanker. (That damn thing could fit a keg if we wanted it. :P ) The waters in the bay itself are typically milder than outside...but in May it will still be pretty cold nonetheless.

My sister has a place not far from the eastern shore...and we have had annual clan cookouts at the "secret" access point way out near South Beach and the tidal inlet. (Wills Work Road...very bumpy and deeply rutted, but doable for all but the lowest clearance cars. All other access points and ramps are now restricted during the Summer...not sure about May.)

Count me in...in some form or fashion.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Finn McCool wrote:I may join you for the day...

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that we may or may not see you at some point, but you're NOT signing up for the overnight camping?
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

First choice: camping.

But if spots are limited, I can just join you for the day.

I was being indirect and vague like the Swedes... 8)
Chip

Post by Chip »

If he is bringing the keg, he can have my spot. :mrgreen:
norm

Post by norm »

I'd like to join this trip but I can't say "Hell yes, I'll be there" because I have a senior in high school and will probably be busy on weekends that time of year. I might have an easier time if the trip is planned for weekdays - I've got plenty of vacation time...
Chip

Post by Chip »

norm wrote:I'd like to join this trip but I can't say "Hell yes, I'll be there" because I have a senior in high school and will probably be busy on weekends that time of year. I might have an easier time if the trip is planned for weekdays - I've got plenty of vacation time...

Did you finally buy sponsons for the RV?
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:
norm wrote:I'd like to join this trip but I can't say "Hell yes, I'll be there" because I have a senior in high school and will probably be busy on weekends that time of year. I might have an easier time if the trip is planned for weekdays - I've got plenty of vacation time...

Did you finally buy sponsons for the RV?

No sponsons, but I'm up to 10 boats. Maybe I could strap 8 kayaks underneath and tow it with the 3.5hp motor on the square-back canoe? Oh wait a minute, that won't work, how could I tow it once it's on the island.... :) :) :)
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Norm claimed:
"but I'm up to 10 boats."
----

Yeah but my barge will still hold more stuff.

:lol:
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Any hens interested in going?? I don't want to be the only girl.
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
norm

Post by norm »

Here is a little historical info on Washburn Island to confirm what I was told, and mentioned, in my trip report about there being a small military base there suring WWII. See this link to a short wiki story about Camp Washburn. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Washburn

There are also a couple geo-caches on the island that I wish I had checked on before I went down there last weekend. Probably walked right past one.
Johnysmoke

Post by Johnysmoke »

Did anyone ever book spots for a trip?
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I booked two campsites (four people per site).
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Chip

Post by Chip »

Is this booked for May 22nd? We should start to nail this down and plan out the details.
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Yes, it is.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
pamet18

Post by pamet18 »

if it's not too late, i'd like to sign up for the washburn trip!
pamet18

Post by pamet18 »

hi there!

is there an update or detailed info on the washburn trip?

thanks,

karen
Chip

Post by Chip »

Is this Karen of Surge and Heritage fame? If so, check out this other thread on Washburn.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1983
pamet18

Post by pamet18 »

hi everyone,

i'm sorry that this is sooo last minute but i'm not able to go on the washburn trip. i realized a couple of weeks ago that one of my tents had been stolen. well, about a half hour ago i went to set up the tent in my back yard to make sure that everything was there, etc. what i discovered is that the thief took my bigger tent and in a separate bag, the poles for my smaller tent! serves them right!

in addition, i have an infection and should probably play it safe and stay home.

did anyone else express interest in going? i will absolutely pay for my share of the expenses. just let me know how much :cry: .

have a fabulous trip!!

karen
crazy295

Post by crazy295 »

OK.. I'm new to this group . :D but would like to share that last summer we paddled and camped at Washburn Island!. We went for 2 nights, was our first overnight trip. and this year we are returning again Aug 8th - 11th! We only have little 9' kyaks, but we managed just fine, as we borrow a canoe, for gear and I tow the 2nd Kayak. Anyone in the S E area. who likes to paddle during the week let me know.. I'm in no way graceful :oops: or all that experienced. but love the water. We put in, in Pocasset on Wednesday and paddled over to Basset Island!
Deb
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Welcome to the group!

Cheers,
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
pe4927

Post by pe4927 »

Very interested. let me know dates and times and how much I need to put in for money.
Marc
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

pe4927 wrote:Very interested. let me know dates and times and how much I need to put in for money.
Marc

Marc, This trip happened already. Maybe you would like to organize a second one?

NK