anyone paddle a perception eclipse 16?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

kayakstew

anyone paddle a perception eclipse 16?

Post by kayakstew »

i am considering the purchase of a used poly perception eclipse. i couldnt find too much on the 16 footer online. I am curious if anyone had experience with the boat (or any eclipse). I did hear a few gripes about the non-locking foot pegs for the rudder and the boat being tippy.

any thoughts?
~Stu
chpaton

Re: anyone paddle a perception eclipse 16?

Post by chpaton »

kayakstew wrote:I did hear a few gripes about the non-locking foot pegs for the rudder and the boat being tippy.

any thoughts?
~Stu

Stu:

Don't let concerns about non-locking foot pegs stop you from buying boat you feel is desirable otherwise. Foot pegs can easily be swapped out for the locking kind, or "gas pedal" or "toe control" types.

I haven't paddled an eclipse 16 so I can't specifically comment on it's "tippyness". I general tho tippyness is relative to the paddler - you need to try the boat to see how it feels to you and remember that what might initially seem tippy when you are moving up from a wider rec boat may ultimately feel rock solid once you get accustomed to it.
Craig
Hurricane A/S Tracer Yellow/White
Heritage Shearwater - Red/White
Heritage Tandem - Mango
Todd

Post by Todd »

As Chip's suggestion from your kayak review thread, I went to paddling.net to look up the Perception Eclipse. This site is great for things like this. But saying that, the site didn't have any info on that model. I did a google search for eclipse kayak and found this.

http://www10.epinions.com/review/Percep ... 2159505028

There seems to be some great reviews on it. The question is, have you tried it? Have you tried other yaks before purchasing? You can test drive a number of yaks at Charles River Canoe and Kayak. Good luck.
Carolina Perception 14.5
Wilderness Systems Tempest 170
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

"Tippy" is mostly in the mind, I think.

When I started sea kayaking, I thought my Tsunami 14.5 was tippy...at a 24.5 inch beam. Now I feel like I"m sitting in an aircraft carrier. :?

I do believe that you will get used to whatever boat you are in.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Skip

Post by Skip »

Try this web site - paddling.net

They have tons of reviews and I found it useful in the past. Although when 1/2 the people love a boat and the other 1/2 have complaints it leaves you wondering who to believe the most.
Current Designs Solstice GT HV
Old Town Nantucket