Let's talk carrying multiple boats on roof rack...

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Beanboy

Let's talk carrying multiple boats on roof rack...

Post by Beanboy »

Time has come to think about how to carry both the surfski and the plastic yak on the roof. Right now, I've just been using the factory cross bars on the Subaru (made by Mont Blanc).

Was thinking using a narrow stackers to get the plastic boat on its side, while leaving enough space to carry the surfski as I would normally. Seems to be the cheapest way to go about it (will be measuring this week to see if there's actually enough space) and like the idea I can fold the bars down when not in use.

Example:

Models like this:

May be a bit too wide. However, I assume they are a bit more robust-feeling than the newer, narrow-footed models currently being offered?

Prefer not to use j-cradles since I don't think there's enough space, and it seems that you have to pay extra for models that fold down when not in use.

Anything on the market that I am missing? Anybody use stackers?

Thanks!
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
noseykate

Re: Let's talk carrying multiple boats on roof rack...

Post by noseykate »

I use the U-shaped ones, have done so for many years. You can use the space by putting your paddle into the inside and bungee-ing in place. As best I can tell, both types work just fine. I can stack 2 boats on one side and one on the other, or have one boat flat and one stacked. Also works for 2 sea kayaks.

Chip

Post by Chip »

I have used the yakima version. The first pic on your post. I have had 3 boats on my roof using factory roof rack. You need to be aware of the weight capacity of your racks. I am sure your surfski is pretty light. My wife's Honda CRV is 75 lbs. I went over a little with no problems.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Thanks for the feedback folks, going to double-check width of rack to make sure all will fit decently, and head on over to EMS this week.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chip wrote: My wife's Honda CRV is 75 lbs.

Just not building them like they used to. What is it, now, paper mache?
Chip

Post by Chip »

Yea, I actually carry the CRV on my kayak.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Linda

Post by Linda »

Just my 2 cents... besides checking the weight load capacity of the cross bars... check the weight limit specs on 'the roof of the car' itself... (I do have one of those 'plastic' cars...but) The weight limit of my roof is only 100 lbs, for instance. I'm sure they build in the 'idiot' factor... going slightly over would probably be fine but they want a loop hole for responsibility and want to avoid a 300 lb load!
Good Luck!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

Update: Ended up with j-cradles. Why? Cheap ($80 EMS), able to solo load a bit easier, and was able to move the j-cradle farther off to the side than using a stacker. Took the surfski and the Manitouout to Tully Lake, and the setup seems to work great.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169