Cochrane Dam

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

Beanboy

Cochrane Dam

Post by Beanboy »

Is the spot on the Charles below Cochrane Dam worth checking out in terms of some whitewater practice?
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
Mark

Re: Cochrane Dam

Post by Mark »

It looks like a low-head dam with a strong recirculating hydraulic. Depending on flow, it could be benign or potentially quite dangerous.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Is this the one in Dover/Needham? I've ridden past there and I believe that there were wires(or remnants) strung for slalom gates for maybe 50 yds below the dam. There wasn't much current at that time.
Beanboy

Post by Beanboy »

You got it Chris... Hmm, probably high water only. Bunch of guides mention Class II for a few hundred yards below the dam, closest thing to whitewater to my house. Will have to swing on by and check it out in person.

Mark, wasn't planning on running the dam, just the rapids below. Did run a dam in a race over the weekend and it along a rapid with a nice hole that I ran right into, got me observing the bottom of the river a bit more closely than I would have liked, hehe.
-B
Epic V10S
Necky Manitou 13
Prijon Yukon Expedition
Old Town Discovery 169
cgr

Post by cgr »

Cohasset is a great place to practice. If you get there as the current slacks you will be able to experience mild current and then let it build. And if it gets to strong you can move further down current into the gulf and find a spot to your liking.

And the ocean water doesn't have the peat smell that the Charles & Neponset always seems to have.