o k pat, so where are the trips. it's a long weekend,
anyone going anywhere?
Johnnyboy
specialk
antispam: No

Re: Where are the trips?

Post by specialk »

Hi all,

I am not sure how to use this site, or how to get involved in discussions.
I just purchased a Kayak, have never been in one and unfortunately am on call this long
Holiday weekend so I can't get my feet wet so to speak. I hope to put it in the water next week and
didn't know if I could get some tips or even meet and learn from everyone here.

My name is Donna
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Hi Donna - welcome to the group!

If you're looking for a terrific way to get your feet wet, I highly recommend the Thursday night skill sessions that happen ever other week in Hanson and WILL be held this coming Thursday (June 2). Rescue Skills Guru Jordan (aka "kayakerjnj") will be available to help with self-rescue, assisted rescue, wet exits and paddling techniques. Several other skilled kayakers should be on hand as well, so this would be a great place to start. Here's a page with most of the details:

http://www.wtpaddlers.org/skills.html

And the current discussion thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2386&view=unread#unread
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
specialk

Post by specialk »

Thank You Pat,

I'm not sure I have all the equipment needed. As it stands right now I plan on being
in Hanson on Thursday.
I only live a few miles from Hingham Harbor, so when it is safe to ride the ocean without
a wet suit, I will be there.

Donna
carolann

Post by carolann »

Hi Donna, I am new to this site as well - I'm happy to see there is another novice out there! I purchased a used kayak recently, took it for a spin around the Norton Reservoir & was quite happy. I do not have all of the gear so to speak (i.e. a wet suit) but I have learned quite a bit from this site as I'm sure you will too. Once the water conditions warm up & "schools" out I hope to join the skills session as well. Enjoy!

Carol Ann
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I am so excited to be able to meet
with you guys this Thurs. night.
bug spray is a must, it was last week.
I am not exactly new with the club, but
i have a rough time with the web site,
but i am going to get the hang of this.
I just want so to learn and be with others.
I am old and disabled, but i got a new boat
and i have been out everyday since end of
March. Looking forward to seeing Pat and
hopefully others i have been before.
Johnny
Johnnyboy
specialk

Post by specialk »

Hi all,

Thank You Carol Ann.
Good for you Johnnyboy!
I have never been in a Kayak, I do have a 12' aliminum row boat that we use for fishing, and
I've been in a canoe before.
I just picked up a paddle leash and a whistle. This may sound a little funny, but I don't know
what to wear! Still have to get a bildge pump.

I am a bit confused, every time I sign into the site I have a hard time finding where I posted
my comments....
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

I bring this up from time to time, and this might be a good time to do it again.

The purpose of this site was never intended to be purely for experienced paddlers. I'd like nothing better than to have a strong contingency of recreational paddlers with smaller boats.

One of the opportunities would be on the Thursday night paddles every other week out of Hingham Harbor. For the most part, the participants have long boats and a high level of experience, so we're paddling around some of the outer islands at a brisk pace where then can be some chop. However, the inner harbor is filled with interesting places to paddle, and if a group of recreational people want to get together, we could all leave at the same time, but have different ultimate destinations.

So tell your friends, and keep an eye on the forum threads about the Hingham paddles. 6pm every other week (next one is June 9). Also take advantage of the paddling and rescue skills sessions on the alternate Thursday nights in Hanson. See the threads discussion that event.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
specialk

Post by specialk »

So much for making plans,,,,,,,,,,,,Afternoon all.

I am so disappointed that I will not make skills tonight in Hanson, I am itching to get into the water and learn from everyone.
I will be working late tonight. No, I dont' normally put my work life ahead of my personal life.....
I will have to get my feet wet alone and will practice getting in and out of the Kayak over the weekend and work on balancing.
Have fun and I'll meet up with you soon.

Donna
carolann

Post by carolann »

Thanks Chip for the offer, I would definately appreciate the assistance since I am not familiar with Hingham Harbor as far as navigating around it in a kayak goes. Hope to make it this week, keep y'all posted. :)

Carol Ann
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Hi everyone, glad to see all of you
at Hanson last Thurs. Soooo, 6 pm
this Thurs. night, Hingham ? Correct?
Thank you Chip, I hope to see you there.
Johnnyboy
pat
Site Admin

Re: Where are the trips? (followup posts)

Post by pat »

I've split these messages off, because I didn't want that sticky post to be a current discussion thread.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com