Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

sjm1027
antispam: No

Beginner Need Advice

Post by sjm1027 »

Hello,
I am new to paddling and this web site.
I just purchased a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 and am looking forward to getting my feet wet this weekend, hope it's only my feet :)
I am a beginner, this will be my first time in a kayak and would like to take it slow and easy. I am looking for a spot close to my area (Randolph) that I can drive to and launch the kayak in a shallow area (beach type) and ease my way out on some calm water. For the first time all I want to do is spend time getting to know my yack.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
norm

Re: Beginner Need Advice

Post by norm »

Welcome Steve!!!

Can't help you with info on a good spot in Randolph, but if it's company and advice you want, I suggest you try to join us this Thursday night, 6/16, in Hanson. We get together at a pond and work on paddling skills on alternating Thursday nights.

Here is a link to this years invitation: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2389

The person who wrote the invitation, Jordan, is out on the disabled list after shoulder surgery but there should be plenty of others that can help you out. I plan to be there but have knee problems this year and can't definitely commit to it till I know how I feel that day.

Hope to see you there,
Norm
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Thanks for the welcome Norm,
Sounds like I would benefit from the get together on Thursday but by the time I get home from Chelmsford and then get to Hanson would be to much.
I will try to make it at some point, I could use all the help I can get. Never even entered a kayak in water yet... Like I said, Beginner :) So I think I will get my butt out either Saturday or Sunday and find a good area to just practice the basics.
Look forward to meeting some of you this summer.

Thanks,
Steve
cgr

Post by cgr »

Steve,
Ponkapoag pond in Randolph has a shallow beach area that is usually pretty weed free. I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years, but the last time you could get a car with normal clearance down to the gated area.

Other options:
Hingham harbor is great except for an hour or two near low tide when the mud flats are exposed.

Duxbury beach at powder point, again at low tide it can tough to have enough water.

Lake Massapoag in sharon technically requires a sticker, but in my experience they don't check for stickers until july 4th. There is also another beach open at the community center at the opposite end of the lake.

Have fun!
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Thanks,
Ponkapog is close to me, maybe a quick run before the weekend to scope it out. I will also keep a log of the other places you mentioned.
There must be a book of Massachusetts Kayaking spots... will check that out as well.

Have a great day and GO Bruins!!
Steve
Mark

Post by Mark »

Steve - Close to you as well is Sunset Lake in Braintree. The best kayak launch spot is not at the town beach but on the back side over by the high school / skate park. As you drive north through town on Route 37 past the lake, there is a sign for the high school. Just drive in there until you see the small launch on the left.
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Mark,

Thought you had to be a Braintree resident to use the pond?
I remember years ago you had to have a permit?
Yes I remember the small launch area near the school.
Anyone know about permit?
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

No permit needed at Sunset Lake. That's a good choice for you.

NK
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Yes, I had a canoe about 20 years ago and used it there. May be a good choice for a quick get to know your kayak day :)
Xlumberjack

Post by Xlumberjack »

HI Steve,
I'm a beginner also. I know it's tough to get to Hanson by 6pm, but I went last time and learned a lot just watching a few of them demonstrate a "wet exit" and how to get back in the boat. Everyone was very welcoming and offered many tips and great advice. If ya get the chance to go, I found it very helpful and fun.
I'm glad to hear everyone will be going tomorrow evening. I'm planning to go also. NOt sure I will try a wet exit yet, but do want to as the weather warms up.
Lisa
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

I agree with Xlumberjack, it seems like meeting the group in Hanson this Thursday would make you feel a lot more comfortable about doing more.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Anyone new that hasn't been to a Hanson session might have the wrong impression of what happens. It's not a super-structured thing like going to a college seminar. Show up when you can and introduce yourself. People will give you one-on-one instruction on some of the various things that will help you. If you can't get there till 7:00, that's no problem. If it's getting much later than that and the weather isn't terrific, we might call it a night and head out for dinner.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
cgr

Post by cgr »

Steve,
On Wed the Boston AMC Paddlers have pond socials on White's Pond in concord. If you don't want to bring your boat to work you can rent a boat from the AMC boathouse in Lincoln for the evening. Pond sessions are usually 6 - 8 pm; and there are usually people who are happy to help with technique.

http://activities.outdoors.org/search/i ... s/id/29022

just another option
specialk

Post by specialk »

Afternoon all,
If you are going to park at the Sunset Lake Beach parking lot you will need a resident sticker.
I used to go there for lunch and read but have since been told I can't.
There is also Whitmans Pond in Weymouth, this is where I got to know my new Kayak. There are a few places to put in if anyone
is interested I can show you.
Hope to see you tomorrow in Hanson.

Donna
Chip

Post by Chip »

Weymouth Back River is also a good spot. Just watch the tides. Put in at Abigail Adams Park.I would also add that at least one trip to Hanson would be beneficial.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

specialk wrote:Afternoon all,
If you are going to park at the Sunset Lake Beach parking lot you will need a resident sticker.
There is also Whitmans Pond in Weymouth, this is where I got to know my new Kayak. There are a few places to put in if anyone

Donna

Thanks Donna,

I have a call into the Park department to see what the story is. I believe your correct the permit is for using the beach in the summer and the parking lot issue.
I will let everyone know once I hear (if I hear) :)
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

sjm1027 wrote:
specialk wrote:Afternoon all,

Donna

Thanks Donna,

I have a call into the Park department to see what the story is. I believe your correct the permit is for using the beach in the summer and the parking lot issue.
I will let everyone know once I hear (if I hear) :)

Maybe it's changed since 2 years ago when we lived there. We never had a sticker. At any rate, if you park over where Mark suggested, no one will bother you.

best,
NK
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Donna was correct, permit if you park in the lot... Parking near the HS is ok to do.

Steve
Linda

Post by Linda »

OK, Maybe I'm too safety conscious but I recommend NOT BEING ALONE! BE SURE OTHERS KNOW WHERE YOU'RE GOING, AND WHAT YOUR PLAN IS... And certainly WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET (and correctly). OK, I admit... I'm stuck in the Mothering Mode... but think of being one of those news reports where people shake their heads and pick out all the mistakes that lead to your 'unfortunate' experience.
That's enough to keep ME straight as an arrow... if you can't be with someone else... at least don't be in some secluded spot by yourself... I'd opt for having people around on the beach or something like that. Besides, it will give them some entertainment and they may even think more about getting into kayaking, too!
Still Mind, Relaxed Breath, Pure Attention...
Paddling is Great Therapy!
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Hi Linda or should I call you Mom :)
Your right but at times it may be tough to find people to go out for a quick 2 hours. This lake is pretty shallow for the most part. I do agree and thanks for reminding us. Actually I thought nothing of going alone.

It was my first time in a kayak and absolutely fell in love with it. I liked it so much I went back the next day. :) Not alone this time!
I am still a little shaky getting out of the kayak... getting in isn't so bad. I am such and ass, getting out I paddle around looking for the best way to line up... either parallel or horizontal to shoreline... I think Horizontal worked better for me...
If I ever had to do it from a dock, forget it... I have to keep it to a shore for now until I figure it out. If I ever fell out... rope in my teeth and I do a Rambo swim to shore. No way I am getting back in. :)
noseykate

Post by noseykate »

Horizontal is my preferred method too, and it's very rare to have to enter or exit the kayak at a dock. So, not to worry.

And I've seen lots of tip-overs at the shoreline as people get in and out of their boats. It's all part of the fun. You are doing fine. You may find it easiest to slide back from the seat to sit on the rear deck, with your feet out to either side of the cockpit. Then stand. Reverse the process to get in.

NK
sjm1027

Post by sjm1027 »

Thanks, yes that what I do now...
Something that seems so simple... :)