Home for 4th of July Weekend - Anybody Want to Paddle?

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

norm

Home for 4th of July Weekend - Anybody Want to Paddle?

Post by norm »

Anybody around and want to go out paddling this weekend? I'll be around and will post something eventually but I don't have any specific plans yet. I'm open to suggestions. Probably want to stay fairly local to the south shore. I'd like to avoid high boat traffic areas involving channel crossings as I expect it may be nuts this weekend. I may want to do a trip on the Westport River to drop off one of my boats at OSK for repair.

One spot I'm thinking of is Duxbury, launching at Powder Point Bridge, heading straight across and hugging the back of the beach, head to Saquish and beyond if the conditions are nice. Probably follow the same route back with a possible spin around Clarks Island.

Keep an eye on the Upcoming Trips section if you might be interested.

Norm
craigmsherman

Re: Home for 4th of July Weekend - Anybody Want to Paddle?

Post by craigmsherman »

Hi Norm,

I can't make it this weekend, regretfully, but I was looking on a map at the route. Looks pretty nice. Is that the kind of route that a recreational kayak could easily do? If so, I would certainly be interested to give it a shot at another point.

Craig

norm wrote:Anybody around and want to go out paddling this weekend? I'll be around and will post something eventually but I don't have any specific plans yet. I'm open to suggestions. Probably want to stay fairly local to the south shore. I'd like to avoid high boat traffic areas involving channel crossings as I expect it may be nuts this weekend. I may want to do a trip on the Westport River to drop off one of my boats at OSK for repair.

One spot I'm thinking of is Duxbury, launching at Powder Point Bridge, heading straight across and hugging the back of the beach, head to Saquish and beyond if the conditions are nice. Probably follow the same route back with a possible spin around Clarks Island.

Keep an eye on the Upcoming Trips section if you might be interested.

Norm

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
norm

Post by norm »

craigmsherman wrote:I can't make it this weekend, regretfully, but I was looking on a map at the route. Looks pretty nice. Is that the kind of route that a recreational kayak could easily do? If so, I would certainly be interested to give it a shot at another point.

Yes, if the conditions are calm, it would be fine for a recreational kayak to follow the bridge across and then hug the shore all the way out to Saquish. You may not want to go around the point at Saquish or go around Clarks Island unless it is super calm and you have a spray skirt and paddling partner.

Your boat looks like it does not have bulkheads? You should probably equip it with float bags before venturing out near open waters. You should also practice rescue skills and find out how difficult it is to get back into your boat and how poorly it floats when swamped.

Another option from this launch point, if the open water conditions are rough, is to head under the bridge and into the Duxbury Back River Marshes. The danger back there is PWCs and water skiers buzzing around the marsh areas - best to stay close to shore when rounding blind corners in the marsh.

Norm
craigmsherman

Post by craigmsherman »

You are correct that my boat is not equipped for much. Thanks for the tips on everything here. I should get trained on rescues and all that...it's a matter of time for me....as in finding the time. But I know that I ought to.

Thanks again...

Craig

Craig Sherman
Old Town Voyager 11' 1"
But mine's green.
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

Hi Norm,

Since the weather looks great for the weekend, it'd be a shame not to be out on the water! I'm interested in paddling and either Duxbury Bay or Westport River sounds good. What day(s) did you have in mind?

Audrey
specialk
antispam: No

Post by specialk »

I would be interested as well, but I don't have a spray skirt. I do have a bildge pump though!! LOL
Hope to see you there.

Donna
norm

Post by norm »

Aquaholic wrote:Since the weather looks great for the weekend, it'd be a shame not to be out on the water! I'm interested in paddling and either Duxbury Bay or Westport River sounds good. What day(s) did you have in mind?

I'm going to ask around at Hanson tonight, but right now I'm thinking of Duxbury for Saturday. Gotta check with OSK to see if they are open or not on Sunday and Monday and need to check the tides there.