Pond Meadows, Braintree.

Open to everyone

Moderator: Chip

specialk
antispam: No

Pond Meadows, Braintree.

Post by specialk »

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has paddled Pond Meadows Park in Braintree?

Donna
norm

Re: Pond Meadows, Braintree.

Post by norm »

I've driven past that park hundreds of times and wondered what it's like inside, but never stopped in to check it out. You'll have to report back if you do go there.

The Google Earth view looks like the pond edges are full of weeds. But, sometimes launch areas are ok and you can paddle in the middle of a weedy pond ok.

Norm
cgr

Post by cgr »

never paddled there but I used to run there often. I don't recall if there was parking close to a place to put in/take out.

Check out Wampatuck State Park - you used to be able to sign out a key to a gated access road for cartop boats. I haven't been there in years however.
specialk

Post by specialk »

I did call Pond Meadows, and they told me there is access on the Braintree side and I can park
beside the beach right at the water, sound sgood to me.
I plan on going tomorrow after work, just after 1 p.m.

Thanks for the tip to Google Earth, I am not good with technology so I may need some help with that.
I didn't know Wapatuck

Donna
specialk

Post by specialk »

I must have deleted my last sentence...I didn't know Wampatuck had water, I remember not wanting to camp there because there was no swimming.
specialk

Post by specialk »

I did paddle Pond Meadown today. It is very weedy and very buggy, tons of lilly pads.
Small pond and full of all kids of creatures. There was a lot of activity under the water
but couldn't get pictures of any of oit. I did get a picture of bird that I've never seen
before....Maybe someone can identify it if I can figure out how to load pictures here.
I have also never seen pink water lillys before.
I guess it was good practice for me, but I wouldn't go back there.

Donna
norm

Post by norm »

specialk wrote:I must have deleted my last sentence...I didn't know Wampatuck had water, I remember not wanting to camp there because there was no swimming.

Last time I checked it out, they did not allow access to the water easily. If I recall correctly, all the gates of roads to the water were locked. You had to get the key from the ranger. They only allowed certain kinds of boats and it did not include kayaks.

I ended up launching from the other side of the water, outside the park. I don't think the access was easy, like carrying the boat up a hill and launching from the rough rocks of the dam. But the water was clean. It is a reservoir. I think it is the water supply for Scituate. The road I parked on was Beechwood Street.

Here is a google maps link to the place I parked.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.209623 ... 1&t=h&z=16

Be careful out there.
cgr

Post by cgr »

Donna - you should check out Ponkapoag pond off of Randolph St in Canton. There is pretty easy access with a short carry if you drive down to the gate. I don't know how full of weeds it gets, but at the launch at least it's weed free (sometimes people swim there illegally) If you paddle around the lake it's probably a couple of miles with hardly any views of housing. There is a nice view of Great Blue Hill, so it's also something to consider in the fall. You do get road noise from rt 128 which is pretty close.

I haven't been there in 4 years or so, but when I started I did go there a few times since the water warmed up early.